Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Track season Results

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

0404545538 writes for theRunningReview, I'd imagine they'll have the scoop. (Hate to see his expenses bill:D)

Don't insult him. He gets loads more credit than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Confused by an article in the paper, is derval in the morning or evening session? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Dan man

John.Icy wrote: »
    Confused by an article in the paper, is derval in the morning or evening session? :)

The evening session, but it'll be morning in Irish time. Semi-finals begin at 11:15am Irish time and she is in the third semi. Final is at 1pm in afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Kiernan back on news talk tonight. Good bit of banter with the lads. Talked exclusively about olionaird. Miised a little bit but think he will be coached by Alberto Salazar next year. Interesting but probably no surprising as he is a Nike athlete. Looking forward to his race now tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Anyone know the line up for the Irish athletes tonight? Who has the best chance of a medal of the Irish athletes left?

• Advertisement

Anyone know the line up for the Irish athletes tonight? Who has the best chance of a medal of the Irish athletes left?

Here is a timetable for Irish athletes in action, times given in Irish time.

Tonight (12am midnight) Colin Griffin - 50km Walk

Sat. morning (11am) Deirdre Ryan - High Jump Final
    (11:15) Derval O'Rourke - 100m Hurdles Semi-Finals
    (12:15) Ciaran O'Lionaird - 1,500m Final
    (1:00pm) Derval O'Rourke - 100m Hurdles Final

Sun. morning (11:40am) Alistair Cragg - 5,000m Final

Whether or not we get a medal, each of the Irish athletes competing over the weekend are well worth watching. Personally, I'm seriously looking forward to the 1,500m final with O'Lionaird and the 5,000m with Cragg. Derval is always good value for money and she has a cracking chance of making the final. By the way, channel 4 are starting their coverage at midnight tonight as opposed to eurosport which start's at 1am.
    Don't rule out one of our athletes producing a medal winning performance, most are at least in top 12 just by reaching final so that is amazing in itself.

Dan man wrote: »
    Here is a timetable for Irish athletes in action, times given in Irish time.

Tonight (12am midnight) Colin Griffin - 50km Walk

Sat. morning (11am) Deirdre Ryan - High Jump Final
    (11:15) Derval O'Rouruke - 100m Hurdles Semi-Finals
    (12:15) Ciaran O'Lionaird - 1,500m Final
    (1:00pm) Derval O'Rourke - 100m Hurdles Final

Sun. morning (11:40am) Alistair Cragg - 5,000m Final

Thanks for that.

Whether or not we get a medal, each of the Irish athletes competing over the weekend are well worth watching. Personally, I'm seriously looking forward to the 1,500m final with O'Lionaird and the 5,000m with Cragg. Derval is always good value for money and she has a cracking chance of making the final. By the way, channel 4 are starting their coverage at midnight tonight as opposed to eurosport which start's at 1am.
    Don't rule out one of our athletes producing a medal winning performance, most are at least in top 12 just by reaching final so that is amazing in itself.

Will tune in, between O'Lionaird and Cragg, I'd imagine Cragg would have the best chance given his experience.

Derval O'Rourke is a great athlete who tends to save her best form for the big tournaments.

Will tune in, between O'Lionaird and Cragg, I'd imagine Cragg would have the best chance given his experience.

Derval O'Rourke is a great athlete who tends to save her best form for the big tournaments.

Well if Derval makes it into the final, which she has a good chance of doing, then she will be our best prospect as she is at that point in the top 8 at least, and with her reputation for tearing up the form guides in the final, she could do something special. It is so hard to know how Ciaran O'Lionaird will do as I don't think even the most optimistic observer thought O'Lionaird would be in this position, a world final in 2011. It is this uncertainty that makes this so exciting. He has nothing to lose and everything to gain and there is no doubt he is a serious talent. No matter what, I have been so impressed with him, and has done the country proud.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Derval has been given a great chance of making the final thanks to a very kind semi-final draw. Still, top two will be tricky, but it's the easiest semi that I can recall her being in.
    http://daegu2011.iaaf.org/ResultsByDate.aspx?racedate=09-03-2011/sex=W/discCode=100H/combCode=hash/roundCode=sf/startlist.html#detW_100H_hash_sf

Semi final 1 is the easiest with regards getting a top 2 spot. You'd still expect Derval to come no lower than 3rd in her semi final which touch wood would be enough to get her in.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Deirdre Ryan looking very confident! Doing great so far.

DNS for Derval???!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Derval DNS? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Derval DNS? :eek:

thats a real pity. She usually times her finals form well. Wonder what happened.

Derval :(

Gutted..was really looking forward to her running.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Caprica

Where was Derval? She could have made that final, times not as tough as I expected. Pearson looked awesome, she is closing in on the world record, hope she hasn't done to much to early. Porter got a GB record, could sneak a medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Sally Pearson is one of the most impressive athletes I have seen at this years championships. Every time she lines up she looks so determined and looks so dangerous. Don't think anyone can come close to her in the final.

According to Athletics ireland facebook Derval has a calf injury. Gutted for her.

Hows Deidre doing? Only knew she cleared 1:89.

1.93, last I heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

First time clearance at 1.93m, three failures at 1.97m. She finishes joint 6th, an excellent result.

Sad about Derval.

Come on Ciarán!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's confusing when they use athletes real names, was wondering who Rochelle Woods was. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Pherekydes wrote: »
    First time clearance at 1.93m, three failures at 1.97m. She finishes joint 6th, an excellent result.

Correct me if I'm wrong but does a top 8 fnisih at a world champs not qualify her for a World Class level grant (40k)?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

From the Athletics Ireland twitter feed:
    Derval hurt her calf after first round. Tested in warmup and it wasn't right.

:(

Correct me if I'm wrong but does a top 8 fnisih at a world champs not qualify her for a World Class level grant (40k)?

No idea.

They just showed her final attempt at 1.97m, and it's definitely within her grasp. She can do that next year.

Eurosport just showed ryans final failure...my lord she was super close...she has bigger jumps in her for sure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Pherekydes wrote: »
    They just showed her final attempt at 1.97m, and it's definitely within her grasp. She can do that next year.

Can't complain too much after getting the national record in the qualifying. If that doesn't qualify you for some kind of funding then I don't know what would.

Tough race, great run by O'Lionaird though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭runjb

I'm still sitting here in chock after Derval's DNS! I think it's going to take me days to get over it, I can only imagine how she must be feeling. While Pearson looks red hot for gold, behind her the other medals are wide open...

Excellent performance from Deirdre Ryan. I love the way the British pronounce Dierdre..

Ciaran O'L did well!

Advertisement