Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Track season Results

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

captain P wrote: »
    Tough race, great run by O'Lionaird though.

lol at him showing off the mullet before the start. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

robinph wrote: »
    lol at him showing off the mullet before the start. :D

Good running, but he has to lose that mullet. Has to be worth a few hundreds of a second ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Ciaran did great this WC...wishful thinking says he could have won with a time very near his PB ;)

Really though, he done the country proud, it's not everyday you run in 3 world class races at one championships, so he has some great experience under his mullet... eh belt. Can't wait to see more of him in the future, he's a star.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

12.28... that was some run from Sally Pearson.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Fastest legit time in history for Pearson, ouch for Wells again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

There wasn't the remotest chance she was going to be beaten. She starts as one of the hottest favourites for London.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

12.28... that was some run from Sally Pearson.

+1, amazing run! Still gutted for Derval, she would've done well in that final.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Derval is an amazingly consistent athlete, she always produces her best or near her best when it counts but let's face it her best is around 12.6 territory......if others underperform she has a chances of getting into medals but for example if she did qualify today i think the best she could have done was 5th, she just needs to find an extra tenth or two somewhere to be really top class and entering her thirties I am not sure she can do that, but no doubt she'll prove me wrong in London

COL just didn't seem to have the finish today that he had in the semi-final which is a pity because the bronze was there for the taking, the american lad came out of nowhere to win that medal and had COL felt strong on the day that medal could have been his, still a great experience for him and he'll only get better

If Cragg finishes top 8 he will have done very very well, he'll have to run near to his pb or better it to have any chance of a medal but there are lots of strong finishers in that 5000 metre field so I am not sure tactically how he should play it, whatever happens I am delighted for the guy as he has suffered in major championships in the past and even getting to the final is already a terrific achievement for the guy so the pressure is off and Cragg is in the form of his life so who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Interesting 200m. Bolt, obvious winner as usual, but the gap to Dix and LeMaitre ain't that much, and Bolt ran through to the line. When Gay comes back and taking into account LeMaitre is only 21, this could be the race of the Olympics next year

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Great run by the French dude.

• Advertisement

Lemaitre goes to #15 all-time; #2 all-time in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Caprica

Great run be Lemaitre to grab bronze, also impressed by Ndure to go sub 20. Bolt not as impressive as I expected, even though it is still one of the quickest time ever, he ran all the way to the line. Could be close come London.

Very impressed by Deirdre Ryan, she just missed out on 1:97, this should give her great confidence heading to the Olympics. Glad to see Chicherova win the high jump, not a Vlasic fan but she was very close on her final attempt at 2.05. CoL done well in the 1500, thought he was in with a chance of the bronze as it was quite slow but didn't quite have it at the end. It's a great start to his senior championship career.

I think Sally Pearson has to be athlete of the championship. Her performances were outstanding, fourth fastest of all time, winner by a country mile, hopefully she can keep this going to London. Derval would have held her own in the final, outside of the top 3 all the other times she could beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,685 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Lemaitre goes to #15 all-time; #2 all-time in Europe.

Who's number 1 Euope all time? Not that Greek athlete from 7-8 years ago?

Bolt. A star.

Pearson is the athlete for today. Amazing win.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Pietro Mennea 19.72 iirc.

Pietro Mennea 19.72 iirc.

How could I forget that. The old old record that Johnson took.
    Set at altitude I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Havent read all the posts from today yet (I will), but I am absolutely gutted for Derval. I was there at the start line, like last year in Barca and when she didn't appear it was such a shock! Heard soon after that she apparantly got injured in the warm up!

Theres no point in pretending the would have medalled. She wouldnt have. BUT there is no doubt she would have easily made the final and probably have come 4th or 5th! Outside the top 3 times there was nobody there that she couldnt have beaten. 12.8something came 5th!

walshb wrote: »
    How could I forget that. The old old record that Johnson took.
    Set at altitude I think.

Yes, altitude in Mexico City in '79. There were claims that Mennea ran inside his lane, too, but nothing ever happened.

The big question is, how long can Lemaitre keep improving like this? At the moment he is improving very steadily, and has a great big race temperament. He's not far off the European records for the two sprints. If he can brush up on his start and his bend he can challenge for bigger rewards next summer (well, it's supposed to be the summer games :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,163 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I am no expert on Athletics, but just want say well done to Deirdre and Ciaran for putting in a great effort today.

Hopefully they can push on for next year in London.

Gutted for Derval would love to have seen her in another final. She maybe one of our only ever sport people who have produced it when really matters gutted for her.

Just in relation to Ciaran, would it be expected that he should only improve? I know he is 23 at what age would runners in 1500 normally peak? Sorry if seems like stupid question. He seems have bright future anyway.

Also hope Cragg can give a great performance tomorrow. He always seemed be unlucky at wrong time and hope he gets that bit of luck tomorrow with good race.

Yes, altitude in Mexico City in '79. There were claims that Mennea ran inside his lane, too, but nothing ever happened.

The big question is, how long can Lemaitre keep improving like this? At the moment he is improving very steadily, and has a great big race temperament. He's not far off the European records for the two sprints. If he can brush up on his start and his bend he can challenge for bigger rewards next summer (well, it's supposed to be the summer games :pac:)

Lemaitre is a great talent. And, I love his technique. He is a like a train. All drive and power. That was some serious PB he posted today. Almost four tenths of a second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Had it not been for the huge disappointment for Derval this would have been the best night so far .Still is to be honest just was on a bit of a downer when she didnt show for the semi final, didnt find out until about half an hour later what actually happened so was very confused until then.

Firstly what a performance from Deirdre Ryan. Finishing 6th is an amazing accomplishment. Not a huge amount of Irish people have made it into the top 8 at a world or olympic championships and now Deirdre is one of them. She was not far away on her last attempt at 1.97 either. Very interesting regarding the comments about the funding. They have set their standards as top 8 in the world for a 40k grant so now it will be interesting to see will they stick to that!

Ciaran O'Lionaird can be very proud of his performances this week. 10th in the world is far beyond what anybody would have expected of him and he has done Ireland very proud.

Delighted for Sally Pearson! Don't care what the record books say that is the world record in my eyes!

Snuck into the press conference with my pass from yesterday (security is a crying joke here) and was up in the front row and got to ask Mr. U. Bolt a question! :D Also got some cheeky pics with Andreas Thorkildson, Blanca Vlasic, Sally Pearson and most importantly Allyson Felix :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Don't know if its been said before but the Irish hero has to be ciaran o lionairds mullet....definitely got him to the final on its own

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭notsofast

They just showed her final attempt at 1.97m, and it's definitely within her grasp. She can do that next year.
    close alright

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8OfPYUiMqE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I guess O'Lionaird has been out on the tear. This just in from his Twitter.

"back from downtown daegu. 7:20 am. Good night/morning people. Break is officially here."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Dan man

G-Money wrote: »
    I guess O'Lionaird has been out on the tear. This just in from his Twitter.

"back from downtown daegu. 7:20 am. Good night/morning people. Break is officially here."

Who'd begrudge him after his fantastic performance and a superb season also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

notsofast wrote: »
    They just showed her final attempt at 1.97m, and it's definitely within her grasp. She can do that next year.
    close alright

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8OfPYUiMqE

Even the Korean official on the left thought it was close

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

As much as Channel 4's coverage is annoying with the constant ad breaks, they did get some stuff right. Michael Johnson is interesting and knowledgeable but I think they'd have been better talking to someone else about field and some other track events which perhaps he doesn't know as much about. Good to have David Moorcroft to talk to about the distance events.

I think Dean Macey and Katharine Merry both have been very good at commentary. I don't think Katharine got used very much by the BBC in that role which is a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Hopefully Cragg can give a good performance in the 5000m final on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭volvoman480

He's doing well so far....

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

markie29 wrote: »
    Hopefully Cragg can give a good performance in the 5000m final on now.

He looks comfortable but there's some serious competition, be great to see him in top ten.

Would like to see Farah win gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭volvoman480

Spoke too soon....

Advertisement