Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Track season Results

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

So nervous watching this 5000m :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

it looks a very rough looking race to be involved in...lots of pushing and barging going on.........just as i said that someone falls!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

WOW what a great run by Farrah....i think he took a lot from his silver on Monday and didnt go for it until he had to.....brilliant run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

Gold for Farah!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Great race! Delighted to see Mo Farah win. Always enjoy watching him run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Worth waiting for that, championship racing at it's best

Great to see Farah win, was cheering for him. Loved the facial expressions in that race and the 10,000m as he was coming to the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Brilliant 5000m race, really enjoyed it! Where did Cragg finish in the end? Great triple jump too, felt a bit sorry for Idowu though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

GB fail to get the baton around, plus ca change :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

Anyone know why Merga was disqualified?

Edit: Running inside lane I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

RoyMcC wrote: »

Great race. Harry AA took out Patton, and Patton partially took out the Trinidadian.

Jamaica breaks the world record without Asafa Powell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Great race. Harry AA took out Patton, and Patton partially took out the Trinidadian.

Fab performance by Jamaica. Wonder where both US and GB at fault for being too close to each other? There was a suggestion on TV that the GB runner started running too early too. Between them they managed to ruin any change the Trinadad runners had :(

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

RoyMcC wrote: »

Below par performance for GB & NI in general? Worrying for next year, or holding back for the big peak???

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Below par performance for GB & NI in general? Worrying for next year, or holding back for the big peak???

2 golds, 4 silver and a bronze. I would have thought that would be a successful championships for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Daegu 2011 - Goodnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Did it not exceed expectations? Team GB targeted 7 medals and 1 gold and managed 7 with 2 golds with a few of their top performers coming up slightly short (Ennis, Mo in the 10k, Tiffany Porter missing a medal and Idowu). Having said that without the emergence of Farah this season could very well have been a different story

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Dan man

ecoli wrote: »
    Did it not exceed expectations? Team GB targeted 7 medals and 1 gold and managed 7 with 2 golds with a few of their top performers coming up slightly short (Ennis, Mo in the 10k, Tiffany Porter missing a medal and Idowu). Having said that without the emergence of Farah this season could very well have been a different story

G.B. done reasonably well on the medal count, but in terms of gold medals then it hasn't been as good as hoped. Ennis, Idowu, Farah were all outright favourites (Farah even for double gold). Dai Greene's gold, while not a heavy favourite, was not surprising either. 2 golds is similar to their last few champs but I actually thought they would get 4/5. Having said that, I think they are in a great position heading into next year's Olympics.

I think Harry AA could do with putting down the weights and the protein and picking up his track shoes a bit more. Far too big to be a sprinter IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

G-Money wrote: »
    I think Harry AA could do with putting down the weights and the protein and picking up his track shoes a bit more. Far too big to be a sprinter IMHO.

How true - he needs two lanes to himself. Same applies to MLF & Craig P. British sprinting has regressed in the last couple of years. Nevertheless they are good enough to be challenging for relay medals but the baton work is consistently woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Caprica

Good end to the champs. Impressive by the Jamacians to set a new WR without Powell, it was a long way back to France and St. Kitts. It was a bit of mayhem at the final changeover, Harry AA is a big man but it was kinda funny to see him taking out the yank. Who would have thought that Kim Collins would have left Korea with two medals?

A great womens 800, I thought when Semenya went with 200 to go it was over but Savinova ran her down. Very fast race, Semenya seemed very happy with her medal, it's probably been a tough two years for her. Not a fan of Idowu so didn't mind seeing him lose the triple jump, the american guy really stepped it up. I thought Farrah was going to be run down again but he timed it perfectly. He deserves that medal after all his hard work this year. Am a bit disappointed with Cragg time and placing but he did well to make the final.

I think team GB should be very happy with their performance. They expected 7 medals and hit that target, it sets them up nicely for London 2012 I can only imagine the pressure they will be under. The Kenyans had a great championship a total of 17 medals with 7 golds, Ethopia by comparsion only got 5 medals with a solitary gold. I would have preferred if they left the schedule the same and ended with both 4x4s instead of the 4x1s, it was probably set up that way for Bolt

• Advertisement

It was great to see Kim Collins turn back the years, two bronze medals to add to his susbstantial collection of global silverware. I'd say St.Kitts & Nevis was the place to be this week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

The poor lad had a holocaust!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Pherekydes wrote: »

Harry is a big brick wall, Patton ran into him. Just got round to watching Johnsons comments and he seems to thing that AA is at fault.

He is at fault for GB not getting the batton round (went off too soon), but he can't be accused of doing anything wrong as far the the Americans are concerned (it's the person driving into the back of you's fault for not watching where they are going).

He is far, far too big though.

I think some of those sprinters have convinced themselves that having big huge muscles will make them run faster. I guess to a certain extent that is true, but HAA seems far too big.

Bolt is reasonably muscular but not overly so.

Just re-watching the end of Mo Farah's 10,000m and 5000m races, the look on his face, especially as he was coming to the line on the 10,000m was priceless. It's one of the images of the championships that will stick in my mind.

A surprising observation on the Daegu worlds is that some of the larger nations had a shocker. Spain and Italy with only a single bronze medal apiece, that is poor by their standards. Ukraine only won 2 medals, although one of them was gold and France with only 4 medals and none of them gold. Ethiopia had a bad championships by their usual high standards, just a single gold, no silvers and 4 bronze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Was talking briefly to Dwight Philips at the stadium last night. Told him that I was kicking myself for not putting money on him at 18/1 before the qualification round. He seemed genuinely offended that Paddy Power had him at 18/1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

04072511 wrote: »
    Was talking briefly to Dwight Philips at the stadium last night. Told him that I was kicking myself for not putting money on him at 18/1 before the qualification round. He seemed genuinely offended that Paddy Power had him at 18/1.

Not suprised that is a crazy price can't believe someone made that much of a cock up pricing that one up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Anyone else depressed that Daegu is over? It had to end sometime i suppose.

My highlights;

1) Mens 5k, thriller of a race and Mo got the gold he deserved, hate to hear the Lagat excuses. I predict Mo will beat Jeilan out of sight in the 10k next year.
    2) Womens 400m, the last 100m was epic, I was sure Felix would reel her in but not to be. Richards comes out and destroys the field in the relay after of course, leaving us wondering what might have been. Whets the appetite for London.
    3) Womens Javelin, never seen an event like it.
    4) Mens 4 x 100m relay, the speed of Blake and Bolt was a sight to behold, amid the carnage behind. Looking forward to being in the stadium in London next year when they go under 37 secs :)

My athlete of the meet was Vivian Cheryuiot (not just because i won a packet on her). I predict she will lower the 5k WR over the next 12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Yep, I'm sad the championships are over. Having severe withdrawal symptoms here. Currently in Shanghai airport and as there is no access to facebook in this crazy country I might aswell list my high and low points from the championships:

High points:

1) Women's 400m. Possibly the RACE of theh championships. An absolute thriller. Just a shame Felix couldn't nick it at the end but fair play to Montsho for hanging on.
    2) Men's 400m. Another cracking race, and the right result. Delighted to see Merritt beaten and James is some exciting talent.
    3) Sally Pearson. Not much needs to be said. Simply an awesome athlete!
    4) Men's 10000m. A real thriller. Nobody though Farah could be beaten. I always enjoy a good upset.
    5) Women's High Jump. Great battle between Chicherova and Vlasic, and great to see Vlasic so happy afterwards. She has had some serious problems this year and she said in the press conference after that she only made a decision to compete 3 days before the championships.
    6) Deirdre Ryan in the High Jump. I hope this will be an end to the whole "no B-Standards go to london" sh1te!
    7) The Bullet with the Mullet providing us with a pleasent surprise and showing that we can still produce top class middle distance runners.
    8) Our women's 4x4 team were outstanding. Almost 3 seconds off the national record, and there was more there, had it not been for the confusion at the very start. I can't remember an Irish relay team ranking 12th in the world before. Super performance. Fingers crossed we'll see them in London.
    9) Olga Kaniskina in the 20k walk. She is an absolute machine. When is the last time she has lost a major championship race?
    10) Men's 200m. Good to see Bolt put the 100m behind him and run one of the fastest times in history. Delighted to see Lemaitre go 19.80. All the doubts after the Europeans last year that he wouldn't be able to compete at the very top level have been unfounded.
    11) Both the men's and women's pole vault competitions were absolute epics!
    12) Men's 4x400m relay. A shame it had to be Merritt that won it for the USA, but what a race, and what a performance by the South Africans!
    13) Kemboi's antics after the 3000m Steeplechase.
    14) The fat punter from American Samoa in the 100m did provide a good laugh!
    15) Dai Greene winning gold in the 400m Hurdles.
    16) Lashinda Demus has been overshadowed by Pearson and Bolt, but she ran the 3rd fastest time ever and was just 0.13 seconds off the World Record. What a performance.
    17) Managing to get my way into the press conferences and ask Usain Bolt (among others) a question.:)

Low points:

1) Derval not being able to take her place in the semi finals. Was sitting right by the start line like we did in Barca last year, and it was pure disbelief when she didn't appear. Only found out 30 mins later what happened. Gutted for her. She'd have easily made that final, with 12.84 being good enough to make it. The number one low point of the championships for me.
    2) The result of the women's 100m final.
    3) The whole Usain Bolt false start fiasco. The rules apply to all. Nobody would have cared if it was Jonathon Borlee that false started in a final!
    4) Some disappointing distance races. The men's 3000m Steeple in particular. Just jogged around the track for 7 laps and then burnt it up over the final 400m. I don't find that exciting. We dont get as many Paula Radcliffes these days willing to take the race by the scruff of the neck.
    5) Disappointing to see Olive and Hesh not perform to their best.
    6) Joanne's false start. I really believe she was going to run fast in that semi final. Her split in the 4x4 indicates that further.
    7) Disappointing long jump finals, for both men and women. The men's in particular. I thought it was going to be a cracker but nothing really happened after the first 2 rounds.
    8) The heat and humidity of Daegu is something I will not miss.
    9) Bring back Berlino the Bear. The mascot here was brutal! No craic at all!

Advertisement