Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Track season Results

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Tangle2 wrote: »
    Let it go! Its getting boring. :rolleyes: That thread was closed so try keep this one on topic not the the worlds are upon us.

Obviously your sense of humour and your English skills aren't as strong as your willingness to back seat mod.

Tip: Visit the Laughter Lounge some night, it will give you a whole new perspective on life. :)

There are a number of issues that make these championships fascinating. From an Irish point of view our best medal hopes are again in the hands of the walkers and the remarkable individual that is Derval O'Rourke. It would be fantastic to see Rob Heffernan finally step on a podium at this level.
    Alyson Felix is a fabulous talent who hopefully will light up these championships. The men's 5,000m also promises to be a fascinating battle.The men's high jump has the potential to be a great event. Then there is Yelena Isinbayeva who has become the anti Derval. Hopefully she will recover her best form.
    There is also the issue of Ramadam falling in the middle of there championships. Fasting from dawn to dusk will have an undoubted impact on a number of athletes which may provide some unexpected results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Another factor is the weather. I'm in Seoul at the moment and the heat and humidity is a bit of a killer. Quite uncomfortable merely walking, not to mention competing. Thunderstorms are to be expected aswell.

Fingers crossed the Koreans show up to the championships. I read recently that 80% of tickets were sold out which is more than Berlin 2009, but 83% of these tickets that have been sold have been bought in bulk, but corporations etc, to give away to staff and that sort of thing. If you get a free ticket then there isnt as much incentive to go. I can't see the stadium being anywhere near full to be honest. Talked to a few Koreans in Seoul and they said there hasn't been much talk about the championships (I think one guy didnt even know they are being held in Korea), and that athletics is not popular in Korea. Hardly surprising given the lack of world class athletes in the country. Mind you, empty seats has its benefits meaning that it will be easier to move around the stadium and get close to the athletes (must track down Ivan Ukhov again :D)

Korea is a great country though and will make a great holiday destination for those who are coming over to watch the championships. Hopefully there will be good Irish support. Obviously there wont be as many as in Barcelona last year (there were so many Irish there!) but fingers crossed we'll have some good support for our athletes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

There is also the issue of Ramadam falling in the middle of there championships. Fasting from dawn to dusk will have an undoubted impact on a number of athletes which may provide some unexpected results.
    Im not so sure its going to be that big a factor, runner that are on the start line may do something similar to Farah
    Team GB distance runner Mo Farah is getting creative with the Islamic calendar to help him secure a medal at the World Championships in Daegu.

Ramadan, the Islamic month of fasting, started on August 1 and lasts until August 29. Farah would ordinarily fast during daylight throughout Ramadan. But this year he will do some additional fasting after Ramadan is over for most Muslims to compensate for eating and drinking during the day in the run-up to the championships, which start on August 27.

He said: “I’m going to fast as soon as I finish my season. When I finish Daegu I will take my break and the days I’ve missed I will catch up then. It’s important that you stay hydrated and eat well – I don’t want to change anything, even have a shave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,184 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Then there is Yelena Isinbayeva who has become the anti Derval.

What does this mean? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭runjb

Probably means that she has flunked it at some major recent champs, the opposite to our Derval who flourishes under champs pressure.:D

• Advertisement

runjb wrote: »
    Probably means that she has flunked it at some major recent champs, the opposite to our Derval who flourishes under champs pressure.:D

Well, examining her championship pedigree shows that this is insanely inaccurate. Her recent championship losses are clearly down to lack of motivation. Her championship record marks her down as one of the best championship performers ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭fiddy3

Or maybe downthemiddle is saying it because Isinbayeva, unlike Derval, has two olympic golds, two world champs golds, three world indoor golds, and set 15 world records, because meaning it the other way is just plain retarded.

Everyone knows she is an outstanding athlete, but looking at her recent champs performances, there has been an obvious change. Motivation is probably a huge factor alright.

In 09 after failing to even get a mark at the world champs she bounced back a few days later and broke the world record. No one is questioning her ability and talent and success.

On a more serious note, news just out that Robert and Marian Heffernan will NOT compete in Daegu.

According to AAI website:

'Robert and Marian Heffernan (Men’s 50km and Women’s 4×400m Relay), both members of Athletics Ireland 2011 IAAF World Track and Field Championship team in Daegu have withdrawn from competition and are returning home following the sudden and tragic death of Robert’s mother.'

A sad time for Robert and family. It show's family always does come first. Deepest sympathies.

runjb wrote: »
    On a more serious note, news just out that Robert and Marian Heffernan will NOT compete in Daegu.

According to AAI website:

'Robert and Marian Heffernan (Men’s 50km and Women’s 4×400m Relay), both members of Athletics Ireland 2011 IAAF World Track and Field Championship team in Daegu have withdrawn from competition and are returning home following the sudden and tragic death of Robert’s mother.'

A sad time for Robert and family. It show's family always does come first. Deepest sympathies.

Horrible news. Thoughts are with Rob and his family.

That's one of our very few genuine medal chances out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Well, examining her championship pedigree shows that this is insanely inaccurate. Her recent championship losses are clearly down to lack of motivation. Her championship record marks her down as one of the best championship performers ever.

This.

Isinbayeva set a new world record on the third attempt in the Olympic final in Beijing with the gold already won. She defined the term 'championship performer'!!

I believe after that, she set about recontructing her technique with the ambition to going even higher. The motivation clearly went down too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Tangle2

Obviously your sense of humour and your English skills aren't as strong as your willingness to back seat mod.

Tip: Visit the Laughter Lounge some night, it will give you a whole new perspective on life. :)

My sense of humour is obviously sorely lacking - similar to your coaching skills.biggrin.gif Thanks for the tip but if the laughter lounge is where you stumbled accross yours I'll give it a miss!

Speaking of English skills can you clarify your comment re Isinbeyeva and Derval? Most people on here are a little bemused by it.

The 400m hurdles is a race not to be missed. Any one of four could take gold and it would be great to see Dai Greene take a medal in his lead up to London.

The mens steeple chase will also be a thriller. Can Tahri or Mekhesi Benabbad (if he's not fighting!) disrupt the Kenyan dominance and prevent a clean sweep?

Pherekydes wrote: »
    What does this mean? :confused:

It's a reflection, as other posters have said, that she appears to lack the motivation she once had. She was an athlete, like Derval, who always managed to compete to the best of her ability. In recent times she seems to no longer enjoy the sport that she once dominated. It was a comment made in the hope that this great athlete will rediscover the 'dog' in her that made her such a great competitor.

I was on a bus in Suwon today, just south of Seoul, and got talking to a Korean girl who had a tiny bit of English. When I told her I was going to Daegu after Seoul, she asked me will I be running at the World Championships. :D

Also had a chat with a Korean bloke on the train back to Seoul, who had good English. The athletics naturally came up in conversation. His knowledge was shakey of course, but he had an opinion on the Men's 100m. He reckons Asafa Powell will do the business! :)

Tangle2 wrote: »
    My sense of humour is obviously sorely lacking - similar to your coaching skills.

With your self professed coaching ability and intimate knowledge of the innermost thoughts of 'real' athletes one can only assume you are in Daegu. What are your expectations Patsy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭notsofast

04072511 wrote: »
    He reckons Asafa Powell will do the business!
    Anyone that prepares in Carlow has to be taken seriously:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Dan man

What a mess this could have been for young Trinidad & Tobago hurdler Jehue Gordon. His champs were nearly over before they started. Have a read of this:
    http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2011/08/23/naaa-blunder-leaves-jehue-out-400
    If I were him, I would be in that boardroom every year from now on to double check their work...what a blunder! Although I think the T&T NAAA has laid the blame on the doorstep of the Daegu competition organising committee. Thankfully, this world class athlete will have his chance in Daegu in spite of the blunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

Does anyone know the rationale behind leaving such a gap in events on Wednesday, the 31st? Apart from women's 20k walk, there will be no events on. Never been like this before if I remember correctly.

fatgav wrote: »
    Does anyone know the rationale behind leaving such a gap in events on Wednesday, the 31st? Apart from women's 20k walk, there will be no events on. Never been like this before if I remember correctly.

I found it odd myself, I have never remembered them doing this before, but I'm happy with the rest day as it will give me a chance to do some sightseeing outside of the city. Theres some cool UNESCO World Heritage sites just out of the city. I doubt that the IAAF scheduled this rest day for the benefit of tourists though, though ya never know I guess. Seems a bit mad in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Dan man

fatgav wrote: »

It's a so-called rest day from competition, bar the women's 20km walk. It is not the first time that the champs have been scheduled as such, with some of the earlier editions adopting a rest-day around the midpoint of the schedule, example, Stuttgart 1993. Edmonton in 2001 had another variation whereby the only action on the opening day of competition was the women's marathon. My brain won't be able to handle this restday very well me thinks, starved from top class athletics after hours of must watch tv from the days before. Thank god for Olive Loughnane, her exploits in the walk should be enough to keep me going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Dan man wrote: »
    It's a so-called rest day from competition, bar the women's 20km walk. It is not the first time that the champs have been scheduled as such, with some of the earlier editions adopting a rest-day around the midpoint of the schedule, example, Stuttgart 1993. Edmonton in 2001 had another variation whereby the only action on the opening day of competition was the women's marathon. My brain won't be able to handle this restday very well me thinks, starved from top class athletics after hours of must watch tv from the days before. Thank god for Olive Loughnane, her exploits in the walk should be enough to keep me going.

This way there is athletics on both weekends (Saturday and Sunday), the weekend is bound to generate more spectators and tv viewers. Be thankful they're not stretching it out over 9 days and diluting the program, like they are for the olympics. Olive Loughnane's race is essentially on Tuesday night (GMT anyway) so it's a full rest day on the Wednesday. We have US open tennis to keep us entertained then anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Asafa Powell out of the 100!!!!!

No Gay or Powell, disappointing.

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/news/asafa-powell-out-of-world-championships/

Edit to add a reputable source.

Asafa Powell withdraws due to a recurrence of his groin injury, while Justin Gatlin battles frostbite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Barring some disaster, that's two more gold medals for Bolt in the 100m and 200m

Not a total disaster when you have 12/1 on Yohan Blake, only the big man to beat now ;)

But yeah its disappointing he's not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭umpire bat

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Getoffmytrain

Start lists are out for the day 1.

http://daegu2011.iaaf.org/ResultsByDate.aspx?racedate=08-27-2011

Looks tough for the Irish competitors in the womens steeplechase, they will be aiming for fastest loser spots I'd say.

Cuddihy touch and go in the womens 400m too, probably needs to run 51.5 or so to progress; she's up against Allyson Felix and the former Novlene Williams.

Jason Smyth will be competing in the mens 100m heats in the evening session.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Gleeson90

Any1 know if they are on BBC or even RTE??

Its on ch4 and eurosport from 1am tonight, no RTE by the looks of it. Might get a mention on the sports news right at the end if we win a medal :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

They're on channel 4.

Advertisement