Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Track season Results

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

04072511 wrote: »
    Guys, for those who are interested I wrote a blog on the World Championships. Took me a bleedin age so you better enjoy it!! :)

http://jamessullivan4.blogspot.com/2011/09/daegu-south-korea.html

Nice pics, will have a read of it later. Kind of wish I had went myself but alas it didn't happen.

I still don't know how you remember your boards username though :D

Apparently London is bidding for the 2017 World championships.

I might try going to the Europeans next year in Helsinki (I think its there, can't quite remember). Especially if I don't get any Olympic tickets by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

G-Money wrote: »
    Apparently London is bidding for the 2017 World championships.

I might try going to the Europeans next year in Helsinki (I think its there, can't quite remember). Especially if I don't get any Olympic tickets by then.

Would love to go to Helsinki next year but there's no way I can fly back home for both the Europeans and the Olympics, so I'll have to prioritise London.

Moscow 2013 is certainly on the cards, and the 2014 Europeans in the Weltklasse Stadium in Zurich is another one that I wouldn't want to miss.

Wish they'd bring the odd championships down to Australia/New Zealand, be it indoor or cross country, rather than being obsessed with bringing as much as possible to the corrupt Middle Eastern countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Would love to go to Helsinki next year but there's no way I can fly back home for both the Europeans and the Olympics, so I'll have to prioritise London.

Moscow 2013 is certainly on the cards, and the 2014 Europeans in the Weltklasse Stadium in Zurich is another one that I wouldn't want to miss.

Wish they'd bring the odd championships down to Australia/New Zealand, be it indoor or cross country, rather than being obsessed with bringing as much as possible to the corrupt Middle Eastern countries.

Why dont you just go to the europeans, London without tickets would just wreck your head and cost the earth. I havent considered helsinki but if your going then maybe so. I'd be worried it could be just a developmental championships though with the medals of little value. Wouldnt you be back in Ireland by then?

Its about time they stopped bringing these championships to the far east, Osaka, Daegu and Beijing in 2015 is too often. London will get 2017 if its all above board, Doha already bribed their way to the world cup.

Why dont you just go to the europeans, London without tickets would just wreck your head and cost the earth. I havent considered helsinki but if your going then maybe so. I'd be worried it could be just a developmental championships though with the medals of little value. Wouldnt you be back in Ireland by then?

Its about time they stopped bringing these championships to the far east, Osaka, Daegu and Beijing in 2015 is too often. London will get 2017 if its all above board, Doha already bribed their way to the world cup.

Going home around the time of the Europeans has the added benefit of being at home during the European Football Champs and experiencing all the buzz at home if we qualify, but despite all that I still have to prioritise the Olympics. Even if I had no tickets, I still couldnt bear to be in Oz during the Olympics. Everything would be on during the middle of the night and would miss pretty much everything because of work. The Olympics will never be so close to Ireland again so I want to be there for it, even if it means not being in the stadium as much as I would like. I'm sure I'll manage to pick up tickets somehow between now and then. I've made more contacts during my time in Daegu, which you never know may pay dividends in the future. I cant see it being as enjoyable as Daegu, considering the price of the tickets, and the inevitable lack of accessibility that athletics champs usually have, but its still the Olympics, so I have to be there.

Osaka was a disaster, but I've no complaints about Daegu. They got the bums onto the seats and created a great atmosphere.

I dont agree with London getting the worlds so close to having the Olympics (just like I dont agree with Beijing getting it for the same reason) but if its a shoot out between London and Doha then I'll be for London all the way. I'm sick of seeing sporting events go to the middle east.

• Advertisement

Going home around the time of the Europeans has the added benefit of being at home during the European Football Champs and experiencing all the buzz at home if we qualify, but despite all that I still have to prioritise the Olympics. Even if I had no tickets, I still couldnt bear to be in Oz during the Olympics. Everything would be on during the middle of the night and would miss pretty much everything because of work. The Olympics will never be so close to Ireland again so I want to be there for it, even if it means not being in the stadium as much as I would like. I'm sure I'll manage to pick up tickets somehow between now and then. I've made more contacts during my time in Daegu, which you never know may pay dividends in the future. I cant see it being as enjoyable as Daegu, considering the price of the tickets, and the inevitable lack of accessibility that athletics champs usually have, but its still the Olympics, so I have to be there.

Osaka was a disaster, but I've no complaints about Daegu. They got the bums onto the seats and created a great atmosphere.

I dont agree with London getting the worlds so close to having the Olympics (just like I dont agree with Beijing getting it for the same reason) but if its a shoot out between London and Doha then I'll be for London all the way. I'm sick of seeing sporting events go to the middle east.

I see what you mean, no way could i work during the olympics if it was on in the middle of the night. You'll do well to pick up any athletics tickets though. Anyone i've talked to say they wouldnt sell theirs for a grand. My parents will be relieved of their tickets i'm happy to say :), what a wonderful son i am :p

Nah London 2017 is a dream, for me especially. Imagine getting the train from work to the stadium every evening, wouldn't even need to book holidays. I won't be impressed if Doha win the bid. The championships were unofficially awarded to LDN when West Ham said they'd keep on the running track. The current stadium row may cloud the issue though.

I forgot to mention the championships in 2014, they mentioned them last night at the Diamond League coverage in the same stadium. I'm still kicking myself that I didn't get into athletics a lot sooner, both from a participation standpoint (even if it's just running to keep fit) and spectating. I missed out on the Europeans in Barcelona by just a few months.

The World Indoors are on in Turkey in March I believe, I'll probably watch them on TV but I'm not mad keen on visiting Turkey. Same for the Olympics in Rio.

I forgot to mention the championships in 2014, they mentioned them last night at the Diamond League coverage in the same stadium. I'm still kicking myself that I didn't get into athletics a lot sooner, both from a participation standpoint (even if it's just running to keep fit) and spectating. I missed out on the Europeans in Barcelona by just a few months.

The World Indoors are on in Turkey in March I believe, I'll probably watch them on TV but I'm not mad keen on visiting Turkey. Same for the Olympics in Rio.

Being EU residents is gonna make getting tickets for Rio quite difficult, cause South America will have the priority over the rest of the world, just like the EU did for London.

Zurich 2014 is a must alright.

I've heard nothing but good things about Istanbul. Havent been myself though so cant verify whether what I've been told is true.

But Rio is an amazing city! Don't know why you wouldn't want to visit there. One of the best cities I've been to.

Being EU residents is gonna make getting tickets for Rio quite difficult, cause South America will have the priority over the rest of the world, just like the EU did for London.

Zurich 2014 is a must alright.

It wont be difficult at all. The organising committe will no doubt price the locals out of the Olympics. There will be those in Brazil who will be able to afford the tickets, but the majority of the country will not. This is the same for all South American countries. In fact places like Peru, Bolivia and Paraguay are significantly poorer than Brazil, Chile, Argentina and Uruguay, so I wouldnt expect many people to travel to the Games from those countries. Also it is an enormous landmass and the price of flights is very expensive for locals in South America so most people take buses. I don't see Rio 2016 being as difficult to get tickets to.

• Advertisement

I see what you mean, no way could i work during the olympics if it was on in the middle of the night. You'll do well to pick up any athletics tickets though. Anyone i've talked to say they wouldnt sell theirs for a grand. My parents will be relieved of their tickets i'm happy to say :), what a wonderful son i am :p

How many sessions have you got tickets to?

I may have to try get another cheeky press pass to gain entry to the stadium.:)

It's a crying joke that real fans like ourselves could be outside the stadium for the majority, if not all, of the Games, but I'm going to remain positive, and be hopeful that I will pull some tickets somehow. I'd be amazed if the morning sessions are full. You'll probably see loads of desperate scalpers selling at face value on the day, realising that the demand for the Men's decathlon 100m is not as high as they initially thought :rolleyes:

How many sessions have you got tickets to?

I may have to try get another cheeky press pass to gain entry to the stadium.:)

It's a crying joke that real fans like ourselves could be outside the stadium for the majority, if not all, of the Games, but I'm going to remain positive, and be hopeful that I will pull some tickets somehow. I'd be amazed if the morning sessions are full. You'll probably see loads of desperate scalpers selling at face value on the day, realising that the demand for the Men's decathlon 100m is not as high as they initially thought :rolleyes:

The Saturday night of the athletics (the final night), thats all I have. That and 3 Womens Boxing semi final tickets.

No i expect tickets to be close to impossible to pick up on the day, even for the morning sessions. It'll be like the champions league final last May. 2 tickets sold for 14k then :eek:
    I'm sick of seeing sporting events go to the middle east.

This article says it all;

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/globetrotting/chi-world-track-in-doha-would-be-a-hot-time-in-the-old-town-20110908,0,5321874.column

No way would i go to Doha in 2017 after reading that

The Saturday night of the athletics (the final night), thats all I have. That and 3 Womens Boxing semi final tickets.

Ah well, I guess for all the other nites we'll just get smashed and cheer on the Irish from the comfort of the living room, Ian O'Riordan style.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/0903/1224303427647.html

Ah well, I guess for all the other nites we'll just get smashed and cheer on the Irish from the comfort of the living room, Ian O'Riordan style.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/0903/1224303427647.html

Great article and sounds like great craic, but how could he not have heard of Hannah England :confused:

Great article and sounds like great craic, but how could he not have heard of Hannah England :confused:

Great writer, and I enjoy his articles a lot, but some of the things he says are bizarre to say the least. He seems to have it in for Nevin Yanit, quite unfairly I may add.

No i expect tickets to be close to impossible to pick up on the day, even for the morning sessions. It'll be like the champions league final last May. 2 tickets sold for 14k then :eek:

This article says it all;

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/globetrotting/chi-world-track-in-doha-would-be-a-hot-time-in-the-old-town-20110908,0,5321874.column

No way would i go to Doha in 2017 after reading that

Eh here's an idea lads, let's host a track and field championships in a desert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Looks like not every Irish person is finished with track. Paul Robinson running in the A 1500 in Rieti tonight.
    1 50 ROBINSON, Paul IRL
    2 51 LEER, Will USA
    3 52 TORRENCE, David USA
    4 53 ZERGUI, Saddam ALG
    5 54 CARVALHO, Florian FRA
    6 55 CHERU, Tesfaye ETH
    7 56 BIRMINGHAM, Collis AUS
    8 57 NDIWA, Cornelius KEN
    9 58 GREGSON, Ryan AUS
    10 59 WILLIS, Nick NZL
    11 60 LAALOU, Amine MAR
    12 KIPROP, Asbel KEN
    13 ROTICH, Andrew Kiptoo (PM) KEN

With such a fast field coupled with how fast a track Rieti we could see a big PB. As long as he can hold on and doesnt get spit out the back it wouldnt surprise me if he was able to go sub 3.40

ecoli wrote: »
    Looks like not every Irish person is finished with track. Paul Robinson running in the A 1500 in Rieti tonight.

With such a fast field coupled with how fast a track Rieti we could see a big PB. As long as he can hold on and doesnt get spit out the back it wouldnt surprise me if he was able to go sub 3.40

New PB for the St Coca's athlete: 3:42.29 beating some top quality runners including Ryan Gregson and Florian Carvalho (current 1500m European u23 Champion)

Difficult to say Bolt would have beaten Blake for sure in Daegu judging by this last night in Zagreb. Pity they won't be racing each other in Brussels on Friday.

Difficult to say Bolt would have beaten Blake for sure in Daegu judging by this last night in Zagreb. Pity they won't be racing each other in Brussels on Friday.

At the press conference after his 200m win in Daegu he was asked by some lad what time he thinks he would have ran in the 100m had he not false started. He said that he reckons a high 9.6 or a low 9.7, and that had he been in the race he would have dragged Blake along to a faster time, somewhere around 9.80 (a solid 0.13 faster than Blake ran in the final without him :rolleyes:). He of course makes no allowance for the fact that the 100m final had a very strong headwind! He really is full of sh1te!!

• Advertisement

Last track race of the year tonight. Ciara Mageean in action chasing the Olympic standard. Race is on at 9.10 Irish time. If anyone finds a stream please post as so far I have come up with zilch

Here is the startlist however

Startlist

(I will be closing this thread and starting the XC one in morning as it is about time with the XC season in the US already kicked off with some low key races last week)

Not quite track results but Sean Connolly was 14th in The Great North Run today with a time of 64.12. Nearly a 30 second PB. Nice run in build up to DCM.

Joe McAllister was second Irishman home in 66.36

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Caprica

Maria McCambridge was 11th 73:49, she is in good form since her return. Are Connolly and McAllister targeting the marathon? They should give the olympic standard a good shot.

Not an Irish result but Nell McAndrew dressed as batgirl got home in 85mins, impressive.

Caprica wrote: »
    Maria McCambridge was 11th 73:49, she is in good form since her return. Are Connolly and McAllister targeting the marathon? They should give the olympic standard a good shot.

Not an Irish result but Nell McAndrew dressed as batgirl got home in 85mins, impressive.

I know Sean is running DCM and i think Joe is to (though not 100% on this). Agree with you regarding the standard. Sean ran 64.40 in build up to Rotterdam and just missed out on the WC qualifying time by 23 secs however the A standard for the OG is 2.15 which is a very tall order yet hopefully he can go close considering he has dropped his times over the shorter distances since

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Dan man

ecoli wrote: »
    Last track race of the year tonight. Ciara Mageean in action chasing the Olympic standard. Race is on at 9.10 Irish time. If anyone finds a stream please post as so far I have come up with zilch

Here is the startlist however

Startlist

(I will be closing this thread and starting the XC one in morning as it is about time with the XC season in the US already kicked off with some low key races last week)

I've had no luck in finding a live stream of the event. It's a pity because it's a good meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭SitUbuSit

Here's a link to a stream of the meet. Looking for a better one now - will repost as soon as I find.

http://aflam4you.tv/tv/arriadia-tv_ce64b5ef1.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Any word on Ciara?

• Advertisement

The results of the meet in Morocco are here but for some reason the results of the women's 1500m dont come up when you try to click into it. All the other results do. How annoying!

http://www.meetingdetanger.ma/2011-live.cfm

Advertisement