Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Track season Results

1161718192022»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

04072511 wrote: »
    The results of the meet in Morocco are here but for some reason the results of the women's 1500m dont come up when you try to click into it. All the other results do. How annoying!

http://www.meetingdetanger.ma/2011-live.cfm

I know tell me about it I am just after spending the last 15 min searching for the results but nothing no BBC, no lets run, not even a mention on her facebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 xc1500

Barringer won, I know that from her twitter, but not the time! Jemma Simpson also wrote the timing was acting up as she crossed the line and clock had already stopped at 1.52, prob why delay in result!
    ecoli wrote: »
    04072511 wrote: »
    The results of the meet in Morocco are here but for some reason the results of the women's 1500m dont come up when you try to click into it. All the other results do. How annoying!

http://www.meetingdetanger.ma/2011-live.cfm

I know tell me about it I am just after spending the last 15 min searching for the results but nothing no BBC, no lets run, not even a mention on her facebook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Dan man

A result that has seemed to have gone slightly under the radar is Rob Heffernan's magnififcent NR in the 10km Walk at La Coruna at the weekend at the IAAF Race Walking Series Final where he placed 6th. His time of 39:19mins took a couple of secs off his previous best and goes to show that he is in great shape. A very pleasing result. Two national records in one weekend for Irish athletics, great stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭notsofast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Dan man wrote: »
    A result that has seemed to have gone slightly under the radar is Rob Heffernan's magnififcent NR in the 10km Walk at La Coruna at the weekend at the IAAF Race Walking Series Final where he placed 6th. His time of 39:19mins took a couple of secs off his previous best and goes to show that he is in great shape. A very pleasing result. Two national records in one weekend for Irish athletics, great stuff.

Good performance but I don't know if a 10k Road is recognised as a record. The official Irish Records show 10,000m track and 20k as the shortest on the road.

• Advertisement

Plenty of time for Ciara to chase times next year.

thirtyfoot wrote: »
    Good performance but I don't know if a 10k Road is recognised as a record. The official Irish Records show 10,000m track and 20k as the shortest on the road.

Well it's the fastest time on record for an Irishman in 10km Walk, and is indeed a national record. It was Brendan Boyce's twitter that alerted me of the fact that it was a new Irish record. No matter what way you see it, it's still a pleasing stat. He describes this performance as possibly his best ever and his confidence for London next year is off the scale. Couldn't be more happy for the guy. I'm delighted he'll have the chance to achieve the 50km standard this season (next week, Germany)

http://www.examiner.ie/sport/other-sport/heffernans-sixth-in-spain-my-best-ever-walk-167932.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭SeanKenny

Dan man wrote: »
    Well it's the fastest time on record for an Irishman in 10km Walk, and is indeed a national record. It was Brendan Boyce's twitter that alerted me of the fact that it was a new Irish record. No matter what way you see it, it's still a pleasing stat. He describes this performance as possibly his best ever and his confidence for London next year is off the scale. Couldn't be more happy for the guy. I'm delighted he'll have the chance to achieve the 50km standard this season (next week, Germany)

http://www.examiner.ie/sport/other-sport/heffernans-sixth-in-spain-my-best-ever-walk-167932.html

It is worth noting that Rob walked 38 mins 27 for the National 10km in 2008 in Santry and at that pace it must have been a time trial? The guy has gone 52 seconds quicker for the distance on the track. I'm not trying to take anything from him, it was a fine performance. However a 3 hrs 45 time in the 50km next week would do a lot more for his confidence for London!!

Olive Loughnane was 10th in the ladies so she too can set her sights on London now.

SeanKenny wrote: »
    It is worth noting that Rob walked 38 mins 27 for the National 10km in 2008 in Santry and at that pace it must have been a time trial? The guy has gone 52 seconds quicker for the distance on the track. I'm not trying to take anything from him, it was a fine performance. However a 3 hrs 45 time in the 50km next week would do a lot more for his confidence for London!!

Olive Loughnane was 10th in the ladies so she too can set her sights on London now.

Coming from the horse's mouth if he says that he feels this is his best performance to date and he is now brimming with confidence after it, how can you argue against that? No one knows better than the man himself! It's probably the fact that he acquitted himself so well against a host of top class opposition in an event he was not really focussing on primarily. Imagine the buzz he must feel knowing that he can still mix it with the best at this distance in spite of the fact he has been gearing his training towards the longer races. It's an amazing result, nothing short of it. Here's hoping he can get the A-standard next week but also put down a serious marker for London 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭SeanKenny

I am thrilled it has filled him with confidence and I have no doubt he'll get the standard next wk. Walking an A standard is no issue for him if he gets through the race injury free.

I am a little surprised by his comments though. Walking times appear faster on the road than track - both mens and womens 20km times are better that the track records. Hence my reference to the track times. I am not a race walking man but have followed is career quite closely as he is a fellow cork man!

I'm not trying to dispute what you say but none of those guys focus on 10km, there is no championship for it so its a little like a 3000m for a distance guy on the track. He has beaten Viera in several championships so I would have thought he'd want him behind? Maybe its just excitement at being back so soon after the personal tragedy that he went through. Whatever the reason its great that he is back.

Any other Irish walkers in action before the season ends?

• Advertisement

SeanKenny wrote: »
    I am thrilled it has filled him with confidence and I have no doubt he'll get the standard next wk. Walking an A standard is no issue for him if he gets through the race injury free.

I am a little surprised by his comments though. Walking times appear faster on the road than track - both mens and womens 20km times are better that the track records. Hence my reference to the track times. I am not a race walking man but have followed is career quite closely as he is a fellow cork man!

I'm not trying to dispute what you say but none of those guys focus on 10km, there is no championship for it so its a little like a 3000m for a distance guy on the track. He has beaten Viera in several championships so I would have thought he'd want him behind? Maybe its just excitement at being back so soon after the personal tragedy that he went through. Whatever the reason its great that he is back.

Any other Irish walkers in action before the season ends?

What your saying makes a lot of sense but you must remember times are not always the best way to judge an athlete's form as some races develop differently to others as well as the fact that there is much more favourable climatic conditions in Ireland than there is in La Coruna where this race was held. Heffernan's performance here was very encouraging as this was a very competitive meeting (Race Walk Challeng Cup Final). But you're right in saying that the 50km next week is the real measure of what form he's in.
    As for other Irish walkers in action, I'm not sure. Colin Griffin will have to wait until next season to get the 50km A-Standard which isn't ideal as he'll have to peak twice.

Good news from Germany this weekend where both Rob Heffernan and Brendan Boyce both achieved the A-standard for next years Olympic Games over 50km Walk. Heffernan finished 2nd in 3:49:30hrs and Boyce put in a fantastic performance to dip under the A-standard, finishing in 3:57:58 to cap a fine season for the young Donegal man. Unfortunately Colin Griffin was DQ'd (again) after 48km when he was well inside the standard.

Advertisement