Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Track season Results

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Interesting side note that Fionnuala Britton is drawn in the same heat as her Turkish nemesis Binnaz Uslu. She is the athlete beat Britton to Euro cross under 23 gold in 2006 (then got banned for PEDs 4 months later) and finished 2nd to Brittons 4th in the senior event last year.

Time for some revenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Dan man

Britton is in a real toughie, with Kenyan Njoroge and Tunisian medal prospect Ghribi. Britton has stepped up a level this year and I think she has every chance of making the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Just arrived in Daegu. There's posters, banners, billboards everywhere about the World Championships. Literally everywhere. I'm not sure what the attendances will be like, but nobody can say they didn't try to promote it here. You'd want to be walking around with your head up your arse not to know the event is going on.

04072511 wrote: »
    Just arrived in Daegu. There's posters, banners, billboards everywhere about the World Championships. Literally everywhere. I'm not sure what the attendances will be like, but nobody can say they didn't try to promote it here. You'd want to be walking around with your head up your arse not to know the event is going on.

Sounds brill, would love to be there cheering on the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭notsofast

Hey 04072511, great to have updates from the venue itself. Keep up the good work !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Gutting for Fionnuala, missing out on the final by just 1 place. She was just 1.13 seconds off the final fastest loser spot. She ran 9:41, and with her PB being 9:37, she ran pretty close to her best. A solid performance.

Stephanie Reilly finished 22nd of the 33 athletes with 9:55.

This morning also saw some well built chap from American Samoa run a personal best of 15.66 for 100m. He needs work on his start! Lost a solid 2 metres on the rest of the field before he even got into his stride! Funny stuff!

Quite a decent crowd there this morning, given the fact it is a morning session and the programme was pretty rubbish. I do get the impression though that not many of the Koreans know much about what they are watching, but it is great to see them embrace it.

I got a sneaky photo with Steve Hooker afterwards. He was wandering around by himself outside, no doubt gutted about his performance today. I wasn't going to bother him, but then decided that screw it, I'll ask for a pic. He was very polite, despite one of the worst days of his career.

Had a chat witha New Zealand 50k Walker on the metro back from the stadium. He told me about the new drug testing. Evey single athletes has a compulsory blood test, and also a compulsory urine test. Then after that any athlete can be randomly tested again. This guy has been called back again randomly. In addition to all of this, the top 6 athletes in each event get testing afterwards as usual. It is quite rigorous which is great to see. It is this guys first major championships, and you can tell. He looked like a little kid lost in New York, looking for where the athletes village is on the map, and how to get back there. You'd think his association would have all that sorted for him!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just started the Tivo playing back last nights coverage and first thing on is a false start for a marathon. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dkb

Start lists for day 2 are out.
    Bekele is starting the 10,000!
    Pistorius in the 400.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The guy doing the links on C4 is rubbish.

Doesn't know the names of athletes is pretty poor but you can forgive them pronouncing names wrong, but he doesn't even know the names of the rest of the commentating team and can't seem to read his prompt sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

robinph wrote: »

Doesn't know the names of athletes is pretty poor but you can forgive them pronouncing names wrong, but he doesn't even know the names of the rest of the commentating team and can't seem to read his prompt sheet.

He's woeful. His questions for Michael Johnson are cringe inducing. He looks decidedly uncomfortable. Completely out of his depth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Just waiting for eurosport coverage to start before I switch over.

Woddle wrote: »
    Just waiting for eurosport coverage to start before I switch over.

But then you don't get Johnson actually saying intelligent things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

This morning also saw some well built chap from American Samoa run a personal best of 15.66 for 100m. He needs work on his start! Lost a solid 2 metres on the rest of the field before he even got into his stride! Funny stuff!

Why do they enter? An American Samoan WOMAN ran 14sec in Berlin....surely they have a man there that can run faster than 15sec?? Is it a case of the guy had the money to pay his own way so he was the fastest man who'd fork out the money for the ticket??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Thank god I dont have volume on my stream so

In relation to the "token" athletes. I think the prelim is a good idea. Athletes who would have never gotten any exposure previously because racing against the top competitors are often overshadowed are now being touted as fastest in a field on live TV and their fellow countrymen can get behind them.

These athletes will probably have the whole countries athletics community as well as the odd casual fan from their countries so it can inspire and promote the sport somewhat domestically seeing their athletes win a round at the world championships.

You also have the the fact that they get rid of some of the nerves of competing at the top level in the first round which can give them bit of a booost in the first round

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭belle_09

Good to see Joanne qualifying & running a seasons best :)

Joanne Cuddihy in superb championship form as usual. S.B. of 51.82 sees her safely through to the semi-finals. Lane 7 really suited her as she had the very talented Novlene Mills outside her to pace her through the first 200/300m. Hopefully she will get a reasonable lane draw in the next round.

ecoli wrote: »
    In relation to the "token" athletes. I think the prelim is a good idea.

I think it's completely pointless in its current form. These athletes don't belong with the elites, so they run their own preliminaries, yet 15 of the women qualified for the 1st round proper with times slower than 12 seconds.

An improvement might be all 'A' standard athletes get a bye, with the remaining places, say 10, coming from the top ten in the prelims.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    An improvement might be all 'A' standard athletes get a bye, with the remaining places, say 10, coming from the top ten in the prelims.
    But then you need to sufficiently tire out the "A" athletes somehow to make it fair and as if they have all done the prelim rounds.

Perfectly acceptable IMO for the lower standard athletes to take part, if their home association is prepared to send them then they have a right to be there representing their country on the world stage.

DOH!!! More false starts.

Although the way Orhorugu was running recently I don't think she'd have been getting through anyway.

I think it's completely pointless in its current form. These athletes don't belong with the elites, so they run their own preliminaries, yet 15 of the women qualified for the 1st round proper with times slower than 12 seconds.

I agree it doesnt really tackle the size of rounds but that is the nature of the "one athlete for every non represented nation rule". They all put the athlete in the 100m because the gap in talent is least apparent.

Even if you cut the numbers you are still gonna have 6 heats (if you cut it to top 8 qualify to keep it even heats)

I think its about developing the sport in areas of non athletics tradition and to me maximum exposure and participation is crucial for talent development world wide

(Maybe im just a bit of a naive idealist:D)

• Advertisement

But then you need to sufficiently tire out the "A" athletes somehow to make it fair and as if they have all done the prelim rounds.
    Perfectly acceptable IMO for the lower standard athletes to take part, if their home association is prepared to send them then they have a right to be there representing their country on the world stage.

This was the reason why the rule was to be introduced though, to decrease injury risk of the top names who seem to go through regardless (Only notable one I know of in recent times to not make it out of first heat was Derrick Atkins)

ecoli wrote: »
    This was the reason why the rule was to be introduced though, to decrease injury risk of the top names who seem to go through regardless (Only notable one I know of in recent times to not make it out of first heat was Derrick Atkins)

What have they done to deserve special treatment though?

Achieved the A standard:D

It seems they are being discriminated against on the basis of their nationality. If 11 second 100m runners are OK, then why can't every 11 second runner compete? The Americans have sub 10 runners absent.

Why have standards at all if they aren't going to apply them?

This is the world championships. We should have the world's best here, regardless of nationality.

Depends on if you consider it a competition between the best from each country in the world, or as a competition between the best individuals in the world.

The likes of Diamond League are surely for the individuals to compete against each other, the World Championships are countries competing against each other.

Would be like having the football world cup as between the club teams rather than between national teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Delighted channel 4 are showing the champs but their commentary is brutal. Even Michael Johnson seems bemused.

Depends on if you consider it a competition between the best from each country in the world, or as a competition between the best individuals in the world.

This is an individual sport. It this was a competition between countries then why isn't every country represented in every event?

We have the European team championships and the World Cup for that other stuff.

The likes of Diamond League are surely for the individuals to compete against each other, the World Championships are countries competing against each other.

Would be like having the football world cup as between the club teams rather than between national teams.

Out of interest how did Ireland do in 1983 in overall team standings? Or even who topped the medal table? And who won the 5k?

The Worlds like OG is an individual thing I am afraid but that is the nature of the sport for the most part

There are very few team events in this sport (Euro team championships and relays only two that come to mind off hand

It seems they are being discriminated against on the basis of their nationality. If 11 second 100m runners are OK, then why can't every 11 second runner compete? The Americans have sub 10 runners absent.

Why have standards at all if they aren't going to apply them?

This is the world championships. We should have the world's best here, regardless of nationality.

This is a debate that always rears its head at the major championships. Personally, I love to see athletes from these so-called minor nations competing. For me, they are a positive edition to the event and giving these countries some form of representation embodies a lot of what I love about athletics. I take on board though the problem that there are dozens of top class athletes who don't get a chance to show off their talents. Personally though, seeing 20-30 U.S./Jamaican /Kenyan/Ethiopian athletes on the start-line would not add to my enjoyment of the champs.However, this is my opinion and I can see the viewpoint of those who stand on the other side of the fence.

• Advertisement

Dan man wrote: »
    This is a debate that always rears its head at the major championships. Personally, I love to see athletes from these so-called minor nations competing. For me, they are a positive edition to the event and giving these countries some form of representation embodies a lot of what I love about athletics. I take on board though the problem that there are dozens of top class athletes who don't get a chance to show off their talents. Personally though, seeing 20-30 U.S./Jamaican /Kenyan/Ethiopian athletes on the start-line would not add to my enjoyment of the champs.However, this is my opinion and I can see the viewpoint of those who stand on the other side of the fence.

Of course! I don't see how a 15.66 second 100m man adds to the 100m championship. Or any 11 second man, for that matter. That guy wouldn't have qualified from the women's prelims.

Advertisement