Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Track season Results

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

100m - only Jamacains need apply
    Marathon - only Kenyans need apply
    Javelin - only Scandinavians need apply

Really wouldn't make for a very interesting championship for watching, competing in, or more importantly for the sponsors.

It's the best three from each country. Simples.

Edit: And who pays your airfare to get you to the competition?

If it's your national sports council then it is a team event and you are competing for your country.
    If it's you or your sponsors paying then it's an individual and you'll probably be getting a nice cash prize for winning the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I think the point that is trying to be made is that although making these "minority country athletes" run an extra round is no more discrimination as people being excluded because they come from an event dominant nation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,184 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

robinph wrote: »
    100m - only Jamacains need apply
    Marathon - only Kenyans need apply
    Javelin - only Scandinavians need apply

Really wouldn't make for a very interesting championship for watching, competing in, or more importantly for the sponsors.

It's the best three from each country. Simples.

Hit the nail on the head there!

The rest of your post is nonsense. Scandinavians only in the Javelin? What about the Finns, Czechs, Russians, Cubans, Americans, South Africans...?

100m: Jamaicans only? Give over will ya?

3 per event? Unless it's 4, or zero. Why do some countries deserve 4 and others one? Standards?

Then apply them to all.

2 Kenyan clean sweeps out of 2.

So much for the poor sponsors, and where were the Europeans?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Had a weeks wages on cheryuiot at 2/1. Tougher than i thought it would be. Drinks on me :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Hit the nail on the head there!

The rest of your post is nonsense. Scandinavians only in the Javelin? What about the Finns, Czechs, Russians, Cubans, Americans, South Africans...?

100m: Jamaicans only? Give over will ya?

3 per event? Unless it's 4, or zero. Why do some countries deserve 4 and others one? Standards?

Then apply them to all.

Yep, the post was nonsense, but that was the point. When did Finland leave Scandinavia?
    2 Kenyan clean sweeps out of 2.

So much for the poor sponsors, and where were the Europeans?
    Yeah, but would it have been better to have a field of 20 Kenyans. I'm sure they could have found a fair amount that were faster than the next Ethiopians if they wanted to for both events.

Anyone else kinda scared that Kenya are 6/6 for medals so far. Usually they have solid teams but in recent years their dominance had stagnated slightly but looks like they back. Compare these to Berlin and Kenyan women won 1 medal in these two events

Yep, the post was nonsense, but that was the point. When did Finland leave Scandinavia?

Yeah, but would it have been better to have a field of 20 Kenyans. I'm sure they could have found a fair amount that were faster than the next Ethiopians if they wanted to for both events.

Finland was never part of Scandinavia.

20 Kenyans: no problems. You'd prefer 3 Kenyans repeatedly lapping some poor girl from Guam? That'd be fun?

Finland was never part of Scandinavia.

20 Kenyans: no problems. You'd prefer 3 Kenyans repeatedly lapping some poor girl from Guam? That'd be fun?

Go and watch the Kenyan national championships then, tickets are probably cheap. Yes, I'd rather see more countries competing and each sending their best. It all eventually gets whittled down to generally the fastest taking part in the finals of the shorter events, the longer events become tactical races rather than time trials you get at grand prix events with pace makers.

Seems there are a few different definitions of Scandinavia on the ever reliable wikipedia. But anyway it's still somewhere up north and cold so close enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭sleapy235

I think the 3 per country rule is a good idea, it makes it far more interesting even if the Kenyans still end up doing clean sweeps. I find it hard to have interest in many Diamond League events when theres so many from the same country in the race. At the end of the day its about money and maximising viewers.
    There's only 3 medals anyway in every event so theres no need for any country to have more than 3. In swimming each country is only allowed 2 and its worse again in boxing, 1 per country, so you can have situations where one of the best boxers in the world might not make the Olympics just because he's Russian. So 3 per country is a relatively generous quota.

• Advertisement

Different sport, different time of year, but would the world have been a better place to have not had Jamacia taking part in the bob sleigh in the Winter Olympics years ago for instance?

We'd never have got the film Cool Runnings for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Delighted channel 4 are showing the champs but their commentary is brutal. Even Michael Johnson seems bemused.

Its not the commentary so much on channel four that bothers me, I actually quite like Rob Walker he knows his stuff about African running anyway. Its the damn ads every 5 minutes that are getting on my nerves, thats why I like the BBC coverage so much.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Its not the commentary so much on channel four that bothers me, I actually quite like Rob Walker he knows his stuff about African running anyway. Its the damn ads every 5 minutes that are getting on my nerves, thats why I like the BBC coverage so much.

Was just thinking the ads were a bit too often myself, but if we didn't have ads then that link guy would be speaking even more. :eek:

Was just thinking the ads were a bit too often myself, but if we didn't have ads then that link guy would be speaking even more. :eek:

He hasn't even got the 'B' standard for link men. I thought you'd like that. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Meh, I've been watching online, so I've almost caught up (watched morning session when I got up this morning) because there's so many breaks to fast-forward through :)

Meh, I've been watching online, so I've almost caught up (watched morning session when I got up this morning) because there's so many breaks to fast-forward through :)

I could have spent longer in bed.

Jason Smyth was eliminated in the 100m, running 10.57 (-1.7).

Very tough qualifying. The Jamaicans look good, as does Lemaitre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Bolt out for another jog!! :D

Whew! Brittney Reese makes it with her last jump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Blue tracks, huh, can't see whats wrong with a good old fashion cinder track. Runners today are a bunch of pampered prima-donna's:D

• Advertisement

gerard65 wrote: »
    Blue tracks, huh, can't see whats wrong with a good old fashion cinder track. Runners today are a bunch of pampered prima-donna's:D

Get used to it London is the same:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

ecoli wrote: »
    Get used to it London is the same:D
    Any reason why their blue?

Both are using a new type of Mondo though I am not sure whether this type only comes in blue or it has just become a popular thing since Berlin

ecoli wrote: »

Both are using a new type of Mondo though I am not sure whether this type only comes in blue or it has just become a popular thing since Berlin
    Like Ferrari only do red cars I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Huge crowd in the stadium tonight. Probably about 95% full. However I am in no doubt that this was for the opening ceremony rather than the actual athletics. Once the ceremony was over, the Koreans spent a lot of time wandering about, and by the time Usain Bolt came on stage there was only about 50% left. Then once Usain Bolt's race was over, there was a mass exodus! Pretty embarrassing to be honest! Talking to a few Irish who are living in Korea, and they said that the Koreans are all about GETTING these events and the status and importance they hold, but once they have them they don't give a flying f*ck about them! Not sure the accuracy of that but that's what they were saying anyway.

Great run by Joanne. 11th fastest qualifier for the semis. I thought she would qualify, barely, but did not expect her to make it so comfortably!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

04072511 wrote: »
    the Koreans are all about GETTING these events and the status and importance they hold, !

Its the same world wide for big sporting events, why do you think you have no olympic tickets ;) not just the kereans

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Caprica

Good first days athletics. Bolt looked very impressvie as did Lemaitre, would love if he could medal but not sure it is likely. Expected a bit more from Gatlin. Kim Collins at 34/35 looked in good shape, would like to see him in the final.

Good performance by Cuddihy to reach the semis. Britton was very unlucky not to make the final, but she ended up running a lot of that race on her home, she has got very consistent around the 9:40 mark this season. Does anyone know where Roisin McGettigan is?

Kenyans have looked very impressive so far. The coaches were aiming for a clean sweep in the marathon but I didn't think it would happen, they seem to wrestling power away from the Ethopians of late. I wonder will Cheuryiot do the double? I thought Defer might challenge her but not so sure now, she has had one or two disappointing championship performances of late. Very poor representation by the Europeans in both those events.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

that russian long jumper isn't bad looking...anyone got any pics, only saw a brief glimpse of her and don't recall her name, but the female commentator did she that she was a favourite in the aesthetics department with the c4 staff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

donfers wrote: »
    that russian long jumper isn't bad looking...anyone got any pics, only saw a brief glimpse of her and don't recall her name, but the female commentator did she that she was a favourite in the aesthetics department with the c4 staff

Darya klishina :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 mcc85

It seems they are being discriminated against on the basis of their nationality. If 11 second 100m runners are OK, then why can't every 11 second runner compete? The Americans have sub 10 runners absent.

Why have standards at all if they aren't going to apply them?

This is the world championships. We should have the world's best here, regardless of nationality.

As far as my knowledge goes they allow member countries who have no qualified atheltes to enter 1 unqualified athlete in events except 10,000m, 3000s/c and combined events. They do this to encourage the "spirit" of the sport and to develop and bring attention to the sport in undeveloped/low participation countries. This is why you get 15 sec 100m men.

Also someone mentioned why some countries have 4 athletes and the rest get 3, this is because reigning champions get a bye and dont have to qualify, hence leaving the 3 slots on the national team to others. E.G Mr. Usain Bolt has a bye, and Carter, Blake and Frater had to qualify.

Apologies if you all know this and i sound like im trying to educate you all

Advertisement