Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Late Track season Results

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

shels4ever wrote: »
    Cragg in the 5k, should be worth a watch, Hesh in the 200m , Ciaran O’Lionaird in the 1500m

ehhh Olive and Derval???

sleapy235 wrote: »
    Yeah but Belgium have 2 guys in the 400m final all the same.
    One athlete out of 5 progressing past the 1st round, and that athlete false starting in the next round, yes our athletes are 'doing fine'. If that constitutes 'doing fine' then I just don't know.
    Hopefully things pick up from now on and I wish all remaining Irish competitors the best of luck, starting with O'Lionaird tomorrow. He's drawn in the last heat which is an advantage and hopefully he can make it to the next round. Hoping for big performances from Loughnane and O'Rourke and hopefully Hession can make the semis. Would also be great to see Colin Griffin do well and nail the Olympic 50k walk standard and for the women's 4x400 to run a good time and put themselves in with a good shout of Olympic qualification. It can still be a positive championships for Ireland but it certainly hasn't been the best of starts.

Depends what way you look at it. If somebody performs to expectations then that would be "doing fine". I never said they were doing great, but it has been far from a disgrace.

Britton was ranked 16th in the World, missed out on the final by 1 second, and ran within 4 seconds of her PB.

Cuddihy was 11th fastest qualifier from the heats. Big shame she DQ'ed as I think she was going to run well. But it happens to the best as we have seen.

Stephanie Reilly finished 22nd. Did anybody really expect her to do better than that?

Pena was poor and Smyth didn't run to his best. They're the big disappointments so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,715 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Just watched the hurdles final. Liu was taking over and it was clear to me that Robles deliberately struck him to gain an advantage. Plus, he knew he did something wrong, as he didn't seem all that happy or ecstatic after winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

04072511 wrote: »
    Because the Irish public generally don't care.

You do realise though that when you go abroad that the Irish attitude to athletics is the exception rather than the norm. A lad from Estonia in my hostel told me that athletics is the number 1 sport in the country, and that football ranks nowhere.

That Estonian is probably an anorak who waits for hours outside a stadium waiting for autographs, I wouldn't base the popularity or otherwise in other countries on him. You said yourself the Koreans are apathetic, the Yanks have no interest in the sport, the Brit's national broadcaster isn't even following the event and their main sports news have Mo Farah as a footnote. The Irish like athletics, it's just we haven't been too good at it of late. Everyone knows the Chairman, Sonia is known as Sonia, lots of people know Derval. Of course there are ignorant exceptions. But it's all relative. You would say the Irish are only interested in medals but it's all relative. I could say you are only interested in the elite. When was the last time you were at nationals, indoors or out? Or the Schools final? Or God fordid, a League final in Tullamore. See there are all levels of interest. The Irish like athletics and it's wrong to say otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

ehhh Olive and Derval???
    I dont follow walkers or sprinters ;)

Just just an example of some.. chill man...

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Caprica

Should Robles have been dq'ed? I thought Liu was coming over to Robles' side of his lane and both there arms clashed. Was it intentional? Robles seem to suffer more the first time, Liu the second time. A very harsh dq.

Good womens 400, glad that Monthso hung on but Felix really pushed her all the way down the home straight. Dissapointing for Richards but after looking as if she had hit form in the London GP she didn't have it here, she doesn't have the best championship record.

Hard to look past Merrit for the mens 400, he has looked really impressive so far. Hopefully one of the Belgians can get on the podium. Exciting even in the field, I though Lavenielle was going to walk away with the gold but well done to the Pole and Cuban. Valerie Adams last putt was impressive she won by a country mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Interesting to see David Oliver's Twitter comments...
    So he might have gotten dq for hitting Liu, man that happens almost every single hurdle race, happened to me in the semi...tough break
    Just watched the replay and know exactly what happened, hard to explain, but Robles hitting number 8 and losing balance set it all up
    Gotta feel bad for Liu as his lead leg was ahead of Robles when the last contact over 10 happened between them, all around bad situation
    People who think Robles did it on purpose are crazy and haven't seen his races, late in races he's been getting wide with his arms...
    Hitting that 8th hurdle just made it worse and why would you do something intentionally that us going to mess you up as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

610x.jpg

Looks conclusive to me. They should re-run the race without Robles and give Liu a chance to win gold.

When I saw the race live I couldn't understand how Liu f'ed it up, but the slo-mo replay and Robles' immediate post-race reaction makes it clear. It was a DQ.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    610x.jpg

Looks conclusive to me. They should re-run the race without Robles and give Liu a chance to win gold.

When I saw the race live I couldn't understand how Liu f'ed it up, but the slo-mo replay and Robles' immediate post-race reaction makes it clear. It was a DQ.

Thats a good pic and Robles broke the plane no doubt. But I'd like to see one of hurdle 9 or even 8 as I think Xiang was really close to the plane with his lead leg let alone his arm and may have caused the first collision or at least both of them broke the plane and interfered with each other. The width of a lane is such that you will always break the plane on either side. This always happens. Its a harsh call on Robles. Look at Xiang's right arm in that shot, if Merrit was up with them he would have been blocked by it.

I would say in every race there is a clash of arms.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

thirtyfoot wrote: »
    Look at Xiang's right arm in that shot, if Merrit was up with them he would have been blocked by it.

I would say in every race there is a clash of arms.

And the USA'ian on the right is also well out of his lane.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    And the USA'ian on the right is also well out of his lane.

Yes, that is true but that is fine once you don't interfere with someone else and I think that is what Robles got done for. But if someone is close to you that is a problem so imagine those 4 guys in the shot approaching a hurdle together, there would be lots of hand holding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Technical question for TF - Robles' trail leg, in that shot, would I believe constitute a DQ if he were running in Lane 8 of a 400mH. Might it apply here, regardless of interference?

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Technical question for TF - Robles' trail leg, in that shot, would I believe constitute a DQ if he were running in Lane 8 of a 400mH. Might it apply here, regardless of interference?

It would constitute a DQ in any lane of the 400H. I think the point here is that Robles clearly impeded Liu and that's why he was DQed.

Incidental clashes of hands: ok, up to a point.

Impeding another athlete: DQ

shels4ever wrote: »
    I dont follow walkers or sprinters ;)

Just just an example of some.. chill man...

I forgot to add the necessary smiley face :)

That Estonian is probably an anorak who waits for hours outside a stadium waiting for autographs, I wouldn't base the popularity or otherwise in other countries on him. You said yourself the Koreans are apathetic, the Yanks have no interest in the sport, the Brit's national broadcaster isn't even following the event and their main sports news have Mo Farah as a footnote. The Irish like athletics, it's just we haven't been too good at it of late. Everyone knows the Chairman, Sonia is known as Sonia, lots of people know Derval. Of course there are ignorant exceptions. But it's all relative. You would say the Irish are only interested in medals but it's all relative. I could say you are only interested in the elite. When was the last time you were at nationals, indoors or out? Or the Schools final? Or God fordid, a League final in Tullamore. See there are all levels of interest. The Irish like athletics and it's wrong to say otherwise.

Well, I'm away at the moment. Haven't been in Ireland for a good while now, but will still watch national indoors and out on the RTE online player, and try to follow all the other stuff on this site.

I see your point though. I still think the Irish attitude is not representative of a lot of Europe. Athletics is very popular in Scandanavia for example. And to be fair, I'd believe the Estonia guy. They have 1 million people and have won a disproportionate amount of medals in major championships. There has to be a reason for that. He told me they have programmes on Estonian TV dedicated to throwing events.
    Yes, that is true but that is fine once you don't interfere with someone else and I think that is what Robles got done for. But if someone is close to you that is a problem so imagine those 4 guys in the shot approaching a hurdle together, there would be lots of hand holding!

Stuff like this does show that being in lane 1 and lane 8 certainly has its advantages.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭TJC

Robles actually grabbed his arm on one of the previous jumps.....clear as daylight in the slow mo.....Xiang had the race won, and Robles instinctively held onto his arm after going slightly off course..

He knew he had done wrong after the race....hence the guilty look after the race.

As mentioned before, the top three should have to run off again (if thats even possible???)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Fair play to the young Irish lad, ran a good 1500 metres. Qualified for the semi final.

Good run from O'Lionaird. Finished very strongly. Will be interesting to see how he fares in the semi finals.

Ennis in trouble in the Heptathlon. Had a nightmare Javelin, and has lost her 120ish lead and is now 133 behind going into the 800m.

Got a cheeky photo with Seb Coe, Steve Cram and Darren Campbell, while watching Ennis in the Javelin. Talked to Coe for about 20 seconds.. He reckons Rudisha has all the weapons, and won't be beaten tonight.

With regards the attendance today, you'd be hard pushed to find a bigger crowd for a morning session. Every kid in Daegu must have been there. Whatever the Koreans are doing, it is great, as the atmosphere was hopping this morning. It usually is dead for a morning session.

One final thing. I was stopped by a bunch of screaming Korean kids today for photos. I didn't have the heart to tell them that I am not competing in the World Championships! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What event did you tell them you were competing in?

• Advertisement

Great championship running from Mad Len. Been a while since we had a male middle distance guy who was strong in the last 50m of the race. Seemed very patient and judged by his finish seemed to have a nice bit in the tank when it was needed.

Darren Campbell

He is doing analysis on 5 Live. I like him on it, he is very good. Good piece yesterday on the false start and told the story of his starting machine and him practising his reactions each night in his living room in the runup to him medalling at Worlds.

What event did you tell them you were competing in?

They don't speak English so I didn't bother explaining. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Great championship running from Mad Len. Been a while since we had a male middle distance guy who was strong in the last 50m of the race. Seemed very patient and judged by his finish seemed to have a nice bit in the tank when it was needed.

Great run. He's in semi final number 2 (avoiding the favs in Laalou and Kiplagat) which is a big advantage as I think his best chance to make a final is in a quicker race where he can kick hard off a good pace rather than a pure burn up. The second semi should give him that chance as people chase the 2 fastest qualifying spots.

He's ranked in 8th on SB in his heat (admittedly a poor way to rank things here) so he has a real chance to making a final. Anyone remember the last Irish finalalist? Niall Bruton in 95 maybe?

Anyone remember the last Irish finalalist? Niall Bruton in 95 maybe?

Think you may be right. Don't remember James Nolan getting past the semi finals of a global outdoor championship.

I am amazed that anyone could even think that Robles should not be DQ'd. It was absolute blatant what he did. And he did it twice. The first time didn't work, so he made sure the second time. His face after the race said it all. I think it's a disgrace, and a DQ is damn well lenient. Liu was robbed of a gold medal. Robles should face some sanction for this.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    I am amazed that anyone could even think that Robles should not be DQ'd. It was absolute blatant what he did. And he did it twice. The first time didn't work, so he made sure the second time. His face after the race said it all. I think it's a disgrace, and a DQ is damn well lenient. Liu was robbed of a gold medal. Robles should face some sanction for this.

I doubt very much he did it on purpose. In a 13 second race where you are focusing so hard on running fast and clearing 10 bloody high barriers, there is no time to think about blocking a competitor. As Oliver says it happens in nearly every hurdles race to some degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭longjump67

Got a cheeky photo with Seb Coe, Steve Cram and Darren Campbell, while watching Ennis in the Javelin. Talked to Coe for about 20 seconds.. He reckons Rudisha has all the weapons, and won't be beaten tonight.

Noticed the Irish flag lurking in the background while watching the Javelin near Coe & Co (lol).:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Did you pass on your views on the olympic ticketing system :p

picture.php?albumid=299&pictureid=10472

Move forward a couple of rows 1234 and have a proper chat with them. If you can sort me out some tickets for next year then that would be good too.

picture.php?albumid=299&pictureid=10472

Move forward a couple of rows 1234 and have a proper chat with them. If you can sort me out some tickets for next year then that would be good too.

HAHAHAHAHAHHA, That's my knee there on the right hand of the photo. :D

• Advertisement

I doubt very much he did it on purpose. In a 13 second race where you are focusing so hard on running fast and clearing 10 bloody high barriers, there is no time to think about blocking a competitor. As Oliver says it happens in nearly every hurdles race to some degree.

The video suggests otherwise, as does his after race body language. The hurdles before the contact were grand, and as Liu gained, then Robles hand went clearly over the lane to obstruct, clearly. That is intentional. The first 6-7 hurdles Robles hands were ok, only as Liu gained he became quite erratic. Coincidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Did you pass on your views on the olympic ticketing system :p

Just ahead of me.

Seriously though, did you mention anything about olympic tickets to him? I've listened to enough of your moaning here, you had a chance to lodge an official complaint of sorts ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Great run by Ciaran O'Lionaird, finished strong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--KY1X8TVAo&feature=player_embedded

walshb wrote: »
    The video suggests otherwise, as does his after race body language. The hurdles before the contact were grand, and as Liu gained, then Robles hand went clearly over the lane to obstruct, clearly. That is intentional. The first 6-7 hurdles Robles hands were ok, only as Liu gained he became quite erratic. Coincidence?

Will you go on out of that, it was not intentional. I raced many hurdle races. In tight races you will clash many times with hands, it is very frequent and never intentional, I would say its impossible to be intentional due to the speed you are going at and the fact that the arm is usually involuntary in the motion, ie, its momentum that is bringing back. Imagine falling at over 20kph with your arms swinging wildly and then trying to catch a moving object. That's how hard it is.

Robles was naturally gravitating to Xiang as race wore on. He did hit 8 which pushed him right to the centre of the hurdle which means his trail arm is flailing closely to the edge of the hurdle. Xiang is then very close the edge of his hurdle with his lead leg on 8 I think so his left arm is breaking the plane. The front shot I have seen of hurdle 9 shows the arms locked and both athletes breaking their plain, granted Robles slightly more. This throws Robles off and his landing leg collapses and this brings him closer to the edge of the hurdle at 10 and then very obviously obstructing Xiang. If Xiang was not there then Robles would have recovered at hurdle 9 and have cleared 10 fine. So, Xiang also obstructed Robles and should be DQd, if they insist on Robles being DQd.

Will you go on out of that, it was not intentional. I raced many hurdle races. In tight races you will clash many times with hands, it is very frequent and never intentional, I would say its impossible to be intentional due to the speed you are going at and the fact that the arm is usually involuntary in the motion, ie, its momentum that is bringing back. Imagine falling at over 20kph with your arms swinging wildly and then trying to catch a moving object. That's how hard it is.

Robles was naturally gravitating to Xiang as race wore on. He did hit 8 which pushed him right to the centre of the hurdle which means his trail arm is flailing closely to the edge of the hurdle. Xiang is then very close the edge of his hurdle with his lead leg on 8 I think so his left arm is breaking the plane. The front shot I have seen of hurdle 9 shows the arms locked and both athletes breaking their plain, granted Robles slightly more. This throws Robles off and his landing leg collapses and this brings him closer to the edge of the hurdle at 10 and then very obviously obstructing Xiang. If Xiang was not there then Robles would have recovered at hurdle 9 and have cleared 10 fine. So, Xiang also obstructed Robles and should be DQd, if they insist on Robles being DQd.

Well, your eyes show different. It was to me intentional. It does happen, sports athletes do "cheat" and do disguise it well. Though, Robles didn't disguise it too well. He only became "erratic" when he sensed Liu approaching.

If Xiang was not there then Robles would have recovered at hurdle 9 and have cleared 10 fine. So, Xiang also obstructed Robles and should be DQd, if they insist on Robles being DQd.

Liu was in his own lane. He couldn't have obstructed Robles. Look back at the photo I posted. Liu is wholly in his own lane, apart from his right hand, which isn't interfering with anyone. And therein lies the rub: you can run out of your lane on the straightaway, so long as you don't interfere/obstruct any other athlete.

They're the rules; I thought you'd know them.

Rule 163.4:
    4. An athlete shall not be disqualified if he
    (a) is pushed or forced by another person to run outside his lane or
    on or inside the kerb or line marking the applicable border, or
    (b) runs outside his lane in the straight or outside the outer line of his
    lane on the bend,
    with no material advantage thereby being gained and no other athlete
    being obstructed.

Robles was DQed correctly under rule 163.2:
    2. Any competing athlete who jostles or obstructs another athlete, so as
    to impede his progress, shall be liable to disqualification from that
    event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

heffsarmy wrote: »
    Great run by Ciaran O'Lionaird, finished strong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--KY1X8TVAo&feature=player_embedded

Wow. He was in poor position for a lot of the race: got checked badly with 600 to go and was in a horrible place with 100 to go. He then went and burned some damn good athletes to qualify. Higuero (loads of medals in major champs) and Manzano are top quality milers. If he kicks like that from a better spot in the semi, he makes the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Ya i dunno how he got out of that position. he really showed an impressive kick.

Rudisha is absolutely majestic. Great win and a great way to win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

YES! Go James, great win! Delighted!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

YES! Go James, great win! Delighted!:D
    Only 19, in two days:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭TomD101

Had a weeks wages on cheryuiot at 2/1. Tougher than i thought it would be. Drinks on me :D

you are a ledge - I owe you some drinks!

Any more fancies for rest of week? Miknevich in shot put?

Another great win for Fantasy Team Pherekydes! Well done, that young man.

Do you think he'll turn out for the relay? :pac:

Does Grenada have four 400m runners? :D

TomD101 wrote: »
    you are a ledge - I owe you some drinks!

Any more fancies for rest of week? Miknevich in shot put?

No real value left in the other events. A lot of favourites getting turned over the last couple of days. Farah in the 5k my next bet, along with Miknevich.

Had a small bet on Melaine Walker but she wont be winning and a bigger bet of Jess Ennis but her awful javelin cost me. Still up a nice bit though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Anyone else think this WC has been very very unpredictable:

Bekele DNF, Farah beaten by unknown
    Jesse Ennis not winning gold
    Yelena Isinbayeva not medalling
    Bolt FS
    None of top 8 ranked 100m runners this year in final (post Bolt DQ)
    none of big 3 winning gold in 110h
    Baala not making it out of 1500m heats
    Defar DNF in 10k
    Clement and Anderson failing to make 400h final (Taylor barely scraping through as fastest loser)

Not sure if its good for the sport or bad seeing so many big hitters coming up short? but certainly has been entertaining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Saw this on Letsrun. Pretty much sums up the mens 10k and what Jelian did to Farahs gold aspirations

Mens 10k

ecoli wrote: »
    Not sure if its good for the sport or bad seeing so many big hitters coming up short?

It would be a sad day for sport if 'big hitters' just had to turn up to collect their medals.

Great competition, and it always pays to know there's always someone hungrier coming along right behind...

ecoli wrote: »
    Anyone else think this WC has been very very unpredictable:

Bekele DNF, Farah beaten by unknown
    Jesse Ennis not winning gold
    Yelena Isinbayeva not medalling
    Bolt FS
    None of top 8 ranked 100m runners this year in final (post Bolt DQ)
    none of big 3 winning gold in 110h
    Baala not making it out of 1500m heats
    Defar DNF in 10k
    Clement and Anderson failing to make 400h final (Taylor barely scraping through as fastest loser)

Not sure if its good for the sport or bad seeing so many big hitters coming up short? but certainly has been entertaining

Womens 400mh was the biggest head scratcher for me. How could Kaliese Spencer be only 0.01 ahead of Perri Shakes when she was 20 yards ahead of her in Crystal palace.

• Advertisement

It shows how deep the talent pool is. Bekele was not expected to take gold as he has been far from active or in top form. Ennis, though favorite, was not a major favorite, ala Bolt. Oliver in the hurdles was a bit of a shock. Poor performance from worlds number 1.

Advertisement