Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Track season Results

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

G-Money wrote: »
    No idea if C4 are broadcasting the Olympics but the BBC are doing full coverage.

BBC have the Olympics.
    C4 have the Paralympics.

No sharing of coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

surprised there's no RTE coverage at all even highlights of Irish athletes.

Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭sleapy235

Surprised to see this on Channel 4, and surprised there's no RTE coverage at all even highlights of Irish athletes.

I saw a trailer where C4 will broadcast the paralympics next summer, are they doing the Olympics next year as well?.

Hasn't been too many of those! Maybe a good thing they're not showing it

sleapy235 wrote: »
    Hasn't been too many of those! Maybe a good thing they're not showing it

Bloody hell! We have more athletes out here than bigger countries such as Belgium have! A French guy in my hostel was talking to one of the French coaches who said to him, "the medals don't just fall from the sky" when talking about the fact France will only win a 2-3 medals

If the French, with 60 million people and lots of resources struggle to win medals, how do you expect Ireland to be rakeing in the silverware, especially since the sport gets little funding in Ireland!

Our athletes are doing fine. Britton performed well. Reilly performed to expectations. Cuddihy ran very well in the heat. Pena and Smyth the only disappointments so far.

I'm not surprised they aren't showing the championships. The Irish public are only interested in medals. Fine, but I wish they'd use the same high standards across all sports, instead of celebrating mediocrity (i.e. triple crowns in rugby!)

End of rant. Time for bed!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

04072511 wrote: »
    Really?

Well RTE used to always show these major athletics championships, now they don't even carry a highlights package.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Bloody hell! We have more athletes out here than bigger countries such as Belgium have! A French guy in my hostel was talking to one of the French coaches who said to him, "the medals don't just fall from the sky" when talking about the fact France will only win a 2-3 medals

If the French, with 60 million people and lots of resources struggle to win medals, how do you expect Ireland to be rakeing in the silverware, especially since the sport gets little funding in Ireland!

Our athletes are doing fine. Britton performed well. Reilly performed to expectations. Cuddihy ran very well in the heat. Pena and Smyth the only disappointments so far.

I'm not surprised they aren't showing the championships. The Irish public are only interested in medals. Fine, but I wish they'd use the same high standards across all sports, instead of celebrating mediocrity (i.e. triple crowns in rugby!)

Any Irish athletes to watch out for later in the week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

On the TV, its interesting that Korea is carrying very little coverage of the event live, none at all it seems and its the host. I wonder how the lads on A/R/T on boards.kr are handling that:eek:

Strange ould champs so far, haven't really got into it which could be good as I'll be starved come London. Time difference doesn't help, then again Tokyo 20 years ago wasn't a problem and for me had my two top moments from a World in Powell and Akabusi. Not good when my highlight so far has been the Mens 10k, what a race that was though.

I sound like one of those League of Ireland lads but our own Nationals this year has got my blood pumping a little bit more than Worlds so far. C4 doesn't help. Hesh blasting off the bend, Barr 13 striding like a gazelle, Eviston pipping Mageean.......the glory days, cue "Terrible Love" from The National.

Great to see Andy Turner medal, pity about Robles, as Cyril Farrell might say "that's championship hurdling Ger", pity the Chinese wouldn't see it like that, wouldn't have fancied Xiang in between McCoy, Kingdom and Jarret back when high hurdlers were men and a flailing arm or foot or knee was par for the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Any Irish athletes to watch out for later in the week?
    Cragg in the 5k, should be worth a watch, Hesh in the 200m , Ciaran O’Lionaird in the 1500m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭sleapy235

Yeah but Belgium have 2 guys in the 400m final all the same.
    One athlete out of 5 progressing past the 1st round, and that athlete false starting in the next round, yes our athletes are 'doing fine'. If that constitutes 'doing fine' then I just don't know.
    Hopefully things pick up from now on and I wish all remaining Irish competitors the best of luck, starting with O'Lionaird tomorrow. He's drawn in the last heat which is an advantage and hopefully he can make it to the next round. Hoping for big performances from Loughnane and O'Rourke and hopefully Hession can make the semis. Would also be great to see Colin Griffin do well and nail the Olympic 50k walk standard and for the women's 4x400 to run a good time and put themselves in with a good shout of Olympic qualification. It can still be a positive championships for Ireland but it certainly hasn't been the best of starts.

Well RTE used to always show these major athletics championships, now they don't even carry a highlights package.

Because the Irish public generally don't care.

You do realise though that when you go abroad that the Irish attitude to athletics is the exception rather than the norm. A lad from Estonia in my hostel told me that athletics is the number 1 sport in the country, and that football ranks nowhere.

• Advertisement

shels4ever wrote: »
    Cragg in the 5k, should be worth a watch, Hesh in the 200m , Ciaran O’Lionaird in the 1500m

ehhh Olive and Derval???

sleapy235 wrote: »
    Yeah but Belgium have 2 guys in the 400m final all the same.
    One athlete out of 5 progressing past the 1st round, and that athlete false starting in the next round, yes our athletes are 'doing fine'. If that constitutes 'doing fine' then I just don't know.
    Hopefully things pick up from now on and I wish all remaining Irish competitors the best of luck, starting with O'Lionaird tomorrow. He's drawn in the last heat which is an advantage and hopefully he can make it to the next round. Hoping for big performances from Loughnane and O'Rourke and hopefully Hession can make the semis. Would also be great to see Colin Griffin do well and nail the Olympic 50k walk standard and for the women's 4x400 to run a good time and put themselves in with a good shout of Olympic qualification. It can still be a positive championships for Ireland but it certainly hasn't been the best of starts.

Depends what way you look at it. If somebody performs to expectations then that would be "doing fine". I never said they were doing great, but it has been far from a disgrace.

Britton was ranked 16th in the World, missed out on the final by 1 second, and ran within 4 seconds of her PB.

Cuddihy was 11th fastest qualifier from the heats. Big shame she DQ'ed as I think she was going to run well. But it happens to the best as we have seen.

Stephanie Reilly finished 22nd. Did anybody really expect her to do better than that?

Pena was poor and Smyth didn't run to his best. They're the big disappointments so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Just watched the hurdles final. Liu was taking over and it was clear to me that Robles deliberately struck him to gain an advantage. Plus, he knew he did something wrong, as he didn't seem all that happy or ecstatic after winning.

Because the Irish public generally don't care.

You do realise though that when you go abroad that the Irish attitude to athletics is the exception rather than the norm. A lad from Estonia in my hostel told me that athletics is the number 1 sport in the country, and that football ranks nowhere.

That Estonian is probably an anorak who waits for hours outside a stadium waiting for autographs, I wouldn't base the popularity or otherwise in other countries on him. You said yourself the Koreans are apathetic, the Yanks have no interest in the sport, the Brit's national broadcaster isn't even following the event and their main sports news have Mo Farah as a footnote. The Irish like athletics, it's just we haven't been too good at it of late. Everyone knows the Chairman, Sonia is known as Sonia, lots of people know Derval. Of course there are ignorant exceptions. But it's all relative. You would say the Irish are only interested in medals but it's all relative. I could say you are only interested in the elite. When was the last time you were at nationals, indoors or out? Or the Schools final? Or God fordid, a League final in Tullamore. See there are all levels of interest. The Irish like athletics and it's wrong to say otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

ehhh Olive and Derval???
    I dont follow walkers or sprinters ;)

Just just an example of some.. chill man...

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Caprica

Should Robles have been dq'ed? I thought Liu was coming over to Robles' side of his lane and both there arms clashed. Was it intentional? Robles seem to suffer more the first time, Liu the second time. A very harsh dq.

Good womens 400, glad that Monthso hung on but Felix really pushed her all the way down the home straight. Dissapointing for Richards but after looking as if she had hit form in the London GP she didn't have it here, she doesn't have the best championship record.

Hard to look past Merrit for the mens 400, he has looked really impressive so far. Hopefully one of the Belgians can get on the podium. Exciting even in the field, I though Lavenielle was going to walk away with the gold but well done to the Pole and Cuban. Valerie Adams last putt was impressive she won by a country mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Interesting to see David Oliver's Twitter comments...
    So he might have gotten dq for hitting Liu, man that happens almost every single hurdle race, happened to me in the semi...tough break
    Just watched the replay and know exactly what happened, hard to explain, but Robles hitting number 8 and losing balance set it all up
    Gotta feel bad for Liu as his lead leg was ahead of Robles when the last contact over 10 happened between them, all around bad situation
    People who think Robles did it on purpose are crazy and haven't seen his races, late in races he's been getting wide with his arms...
    Hitting that 8th hurdle just made it worse and why would you do something intentionally that us going to mess you up as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,184 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

610x.jpg

Looks conclusive to me. They should re-run the race without Robles and give Liu a chance to win gold.

When I saw the race live I couldn't understand how Liu f'ed it up, but the slo-mo replay and Robles' immediate post-race reaction makes it clear. It was a DQ.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    610x.jpg

Looks conclusive to me. They should re-run the race without Robles and give Liu a chance to win gold.

When I saw the race live I couldn't understand how Liu f'ed it up, but the slo-mo replay and Robles' immediate post-race reaction makes it clear. It was a DQ.

Thats a good pic and Robles broke the plane no doubt. But I'd like to see one of hurdle 9 or even 8 as I think Xiang was really close to the plane with his lead leg let alone his arm and may have caused the first collision or at least both of them broke the plane and interfered with each other. The width of a lane is such that you will always break the plane on either side. This always happens. Its a harsh call on Robles. Look at Xiang's right arm in that shot, if Merrit was up with them he would have been blocked by it.

I would say in every race there is a clash of arms.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

thirtyfoot wrote: »
    Look at Xiang's right arm in that shot, if Merrit was up with them he would have been blocked by it.

I would say in every race there is a clash of arms.

And the USA'ian on the right is also well out of his lane.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    And the USA'ian on the right is also well out of his lane.

Yes, that is true but that is fine once you don't interfere with someone else and I think that is what Robles got done for. But if someone is close to you that is a problem so imagine those 4 guys in the shot approaching a hurdle together, there would be lots of hand holding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Technical question for TF - Robles' trail leg, in that shot, would I believe constitute a DQ if he were running in Lane 8 of a 400mH. Might it apply here, regardless of interference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,184 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Technical question for TF - Robles' trail leg, in that shot, would I believe constitute a DQ if he were running in Lane 8 of a 400mH. Might it apply here, regardless of interference?

It would constitute a DQ in any lane of the 400H. I think the point here is that Robles clearly impeded Liu and that's why he was DQed.

Incidental clashes of hands: ok, up to a point.

Impeding another athlete: DQ

shels4ever wrote: »
    I dont follow walkers or sprinters ;)

Just just an example of some.. chill man...

I forgot to add the necessary smiley face :)

That Estonian is probably an anorak who waits for hours outside a stadium waiting for autographs, I wouldn't base the popularity or otherwise in other countries on him. You said yourself the Koreans are apathetic, the Yanks have no interest in the sport, the Brit's national broadcaster isn't even following the event and their main sports news have Mo Farah as a footnote. The Irish like athletics, it's just we haven't been too good at it of late. Everyone knows the Chairman, Sonia is known as Sonia, lots of people know Derval. Of course there are ignorant exceptions. But it's all relative. You would say the Irish are only interested in medals but it's all relative. I could say you are only interested in the elite. When was the last time you were at nationals, indoors or out? Or the Schools final? Or God fordid, a League final in Tullamore. See there are all levels of interest. The Irish like athletics and it's wrong to say otherwise.

Well, I'm away at the moment. Haven't been in Ireland for a good while now, but will still watch national indoors and out on the RTE online player, and try to follow all the other stuff on this site.

I see your point though. I still think the Irish attitude is not representative of a lot of Europe. Athletics is very popular in Scandanavia for example. And to be fair, I'd believe the Estonia guy. They have 1 million people and have won a disproportionate amount of medals in major championships. There has to be a reason for that. He told me they have programmes on Estonian TV dedicated to throwing events.
    Yes, that is true but that is fine once you don't interfere with someone else and I think that is what Robles got done for. But if someone is close to you that is a problem so imagine those 4 guys in the shot approaching a hurdle together, there would be lots of hand holding!

Stuff like this does show that being in lane 1 and lane 8 certainly has its advantages.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭TJC

Robles actually grabbed his arm on one of the previous jumps.....clear as daylight in the slow mo.....Xiang had the race won, and Robles instinctively held onto his arm after going slightly off course..

He knew he had done wrong after the race....hence the guilty look after the race.

As mentioned before, the top three should have to run off again (if thats even possible???)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Fair play to the young Irish lad, ran a good 1500 metres. Qualified for the semi final.

Good run from O'Lionaird. Finished very strongly. Will be interesting to see how he fares in the semi finals.

Ennis in trouble in the Heptathlon. Had a nightmare Javelin, and has lost her 120ish lead and is now 133 behind going into the 800m.

Got a cheeky photo with Seb Coe, Steve Cram and Darren Campbell, while watching Ennis in the Javelin. Talked to Coe for about 20 seconds.. He reckons Rudisha has all the weapons, and won't be beaten tonight.

With regards the attendance today, you'd be hard pushed to find a bigger crowd for a morning session. Every kid in Daegu must have been there. Whatever the Koreans are doing, it is great, as the atmosphere was hopping this morning. It usually is dead for a morning session.

One final thing. I was stopped by a bunch of screaming Korean kids today for photos. I didn't have the heart to tell them that I am not competing in the World Championships! :)

What event did you tell them you were competing in?

• Advertisement

Great championship running from Mad Len. Been a while since we had a male middle distance guy who was strong in the last 50m of the race. Seemed very patient and judged by his finish seemed to have a nice bit in the tank when it was needed.

Advertisement