Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

18 month contarct to 12 month

Options
  • 11-08-2011 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hey all, I remember reading a post here a few months ago about the procedure of going from a 18 to a 12 month contract. Apparently there is an EU consumer law that says consumers have to be given a 12 month contract if requested (you must of course pay the difference in line rental)
    Does anyone remember that thread or can anyone remember what that procedure was?
    My O2 contract is coming to an end in the next couple of months, my plan is to drop from an 18 month contract to a 12 month on my last (or second last) month and proceed to upgrade as normal, keeping my original contract except its now for 12 instead of 18 months.

From what I remember from the thread this was possible - anyone care to blow some holes in my theory?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I don't think that is the case. I did a quick google search and it seems what you may have read was that the EU forced operators to offer 12 month contracts in the UK, which were primarily 18, 24 and 36(!!!!!) month contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭tooth*grinder

but if they forced the networks in the UK to do it shouldn't that apply EU wide?

but if they forced the networks in the UK to do it shouldn't that apply EU wide?

I think you are misinterpreting. Prior to this ruling, the UK didn't offer 12 month contracts to customers, only 18/24/36. This ruling forced them to.

There are plenty of 12 month contracts here with no restrictions for getting any phone on one, just changes in the costs of plan/tariff. If you want to get a 12 month package, you can, where in the UK, you found it difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

But operators do offer the chance to subscribe to a 12 month contract here.

My reading of that would be the chance to choose a 12 month contract where you are taking out the contract, not when you are halfway through it. A contract is legally binding and while I do think it would be a good idea to let people change to 12 month, paying the difference in fees, I would very much doubt the EU would change the basic terms of a contract that has been agreed upon by a consenting adult who had the full choice of options available to them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

chrislad wrote: »
    But operators do offer the chance to subscribe to a 12 month contract here.

My reading of that would be the chance to choose a 12 month contract where you are taking out the contract, not when you are halfway through it. A contract is legally binding and while I do think it would be a good idea to let people change to 12 month, paying the difference in fees, I would very much doubt the EU would change the basic terms of a contract that has been agreed upon by a consenting adult who had the full choice of options available to them.

Operators do let you do that in a way. Just call them up after 12 months and tell them you want to cancel and they'll send you a bill for the remainder.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Just to point out that with O2 while you can switch to a 12 month contract (and pay 5 euro more per month) you'll still be locked into an 18 month upgrade cycle so switching wont get you an upgrade any quicker I'm afraid. O2 have recently been offering early upgrades but they require you to by out the existing contract (in your case 18 months), which is more an ETF (early termination fee).

Operators do let you do that in a way. Just call them up after 12 months and tell them you want to cancel and they'll send you a bill for the remainder.

I meant more in the line of this.

Meteor Connect 25 12 month is 25 per month - cost over 12 is 300e

Meteor Connect 20 18 month is 20 per month - cost over 12 is 240e

Pay the 60e difference and you're due an upgrade, which is what the OP would like, but isn't currently in place or as far as I know, no legal ruling that forces the operator to give you this.

Thanks captain morgan but that's not the thread I remember reading.
    By the sounds of things I was making stuff up in my own head. That's weird though I distinctly remember reading a thread somewhere on here that someone wrote step by step instructions as to how to drop from an 18 to a 12 month contract.

And cookie1977 - O2 only count 12 months of your 18 month contract towards calculating your upgrade, which is why I'd like to swap to a 12 month. I really don't see the benefit for me to stay on an 18 month contract, fair enough if it leads to getting a better upgrade discount, but as I understand it that's not the case at all. It bugs me to be honest (not majorly of course I just don't like the idea of o2 tying me in for an extra 6 months with no benefit to me.)

• Advertisement

You're correct to say that they only count the spend over the previous 12 months but if you get an upgrade on an 18 month plan and switch during it (and pay more per month)to a 12 month contract O2 will still hold you to your 18 month upgrade cycle and at 18 months in they'll work out your upgrade level from your previous 12 month spend.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    You're correct to say that they only count the spend over the previous 12 months but if you get an upgrade on an 18 month plan and switch during it (and pay more per month)to a 12 month contract O2 will still hold you to your 18 month upgrade cycle and at 18 months in they'll work out your upgrade level from your previous 12 month spend.

Ahhhhh - nasty. But it makes sense I guess.
    Neat little system they have for them but to me it makes a complete joke of the consumer.
    I'm sure they'll trot out the argument that they need to cover the cost of the device etc etc... But if I'm re'upping for another 18 months then offer me a discounted upgrade over the 18monts, even if they made it a bonus of sorts for paying bills on time it would annoy me less. I just can't see it as being anything other than what amounts to a rip off.

Ahhhhh - nasty. But it makes sense I guess.
    Neat little system they have for them but to me it makes a complete joke of the consumer.
    I'm sure they'll trot out the argument that they need to cover the cost of the device etc etc... But if I'm re'upping for another 18 months then offer me a discounted upgrade over the 18monts, even if they made it a bonus of sorts for paying bills on time it would annoy me less. I just can't see it as being anything other than what amounts to a rip off.
    To be honest I never enter contracts. Sim free phones cost more but prices on sim only plans are cheaper then contract ones and I can leave when another network offers me a better deal. That's how I feel anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Thanks captain morgan but that's not the thread I remember reading.
    By the sounds of things I was making stuff up in my own head. That's weird though I distinctly remember reading a thread somewhere on here that someone wrote step by step instructions as to how to drop from an 18 to a 12 month contract.

i think remember the thread in question. i'm too busy to look for it now but iirc it was posted by a new poster (2-3 post count) who had "inside info" on how to basically beat the system - it was utter pish for the most part

it did say something along the lines of what you need i.e. operator has to move you to 12 from 18 month on request. this is simply not the case. the facility to do so with the customer paying the outstanding balance would be beneficial but to the best of my knowledge it's just not offered by the mobile operators

theteal wrote: »
    i think remember the thread in question. i'm too busy to look for it now but iirc it was posted by a new poster (2-3 post count) who had "inside info" on how to basically beat the system - it was utter pish for the most part

it did say something along the lines of what you need i.e. operator has to move you to 12 from 18 month on request. this is simply not the case. the facility to do so with the customer paying the outstanding balance would be beneficial but to the best of my knowledge it's just not offered by the mobile operators

That post was 90% BS, as you said. Ridiculous statements. I'd say he was fired from a call centre and wanted revenge! :)

Advertisement