Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTU phone socket wiring question

• 11-08-2011 11:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

I've been plauged by a bad connection to my vodafone bb and only able to get an ancient zyxel 660HW-61 to connect at all but unstable but now i think that the VF techs may possibly correct and it could be an internal wirring issue :eek:
    I had up to today thought that the Master Socket was under the stairs but am after clearing the garage and finding the Eircom NTU in there. I thought all my problems were solved so i plugged my router in there but the socket seems to be dead. I checked outside an it is right beside the external access point to the phone line coming into the house.

Attached are 2 photos of the current wiring of the NTU. What do i need to do to make this socket live? it seems the extension line connection for the rest of the house is wired up ( used this thread for reference) if i can make the NTU socket itself live there is a good chance i'll get a better connection so i'd leave the router there and use homeplugs\extenders to cover the rest of the house.
    thnx!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

looks like a dodgy NTU, all my sockets that are wired to it are dead but getting 55v across the L1, L2 connections going into it.

Hooked a bog standard phone socket up to the wirescoming in its place and could get a connection pefect. decide to check the line stats with the modem.

Before :
    down
    noise margin downstream: 9 db
    output power upstream: 11 db
    attenuation downstream: 34 db

up
    noise margin upstream: 6 db
    output power downstream: 19 db
    attenuation upstream: 31 db

After:
    down
    noise margin downstream: 23 db
    output power upstream: 11 db
    attenuation downstream: 13 db

up
    noise margin upstream: 19 db
    output power downstream: 19 db
    attenuation upstream: 9 db

:eek::eek::eek: that is some improvement in noise margin and attenuation!

new tp link router connects fine now too but interestingly reports slightly worse line stats...it seems the old zyxel isnt a piece of ****e after all!
    Downstream Upstream
    SNR Margin: 21.5 18.0 db
    Line Attenuation: 16.5 11.0 db
    Data Rate: 5120 512 kbps
    POWER: 19.5 12.0 dbm
    CRC: 2 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You should get on to Vodafone to get eircom to come and replace it for you. It's their responsibility, and it's part of what you pay line rental for.

Advertisement