Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Creaking Noise, any advice?????

• 11-08-2011 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Bought a new Madone 4.5 bike in Feb and only recently have noticed a creaking noise, it only happens when I apply significant pressure to the pedals. I've lubricated absolutely everything I can think of! I'd appreciate any advice. Should I even be worried about it??

G.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,169 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Sometimes a creaking noise means that there is a catastrophic crack developing in the frame, which might kill you.

But usually not.

Check headset, rear wheel (freehub), bottom bracket, cranks, chainrings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

prob the cranks (or the handelbars) if you dont have torque wrenches etc take it to a shop, otherwise strip crankset, bars clean everything follow torqueing and greasing instructions when putting backtogether.

(and if your me you'll get 2 rides before it starts again :mad: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭G2ECE

Jaysus Lumen, my heart sank when you mentioned the C word! :)

It definitely isn't the Headset nor the Handlebars, Its lower down on the bike, I have swapped out wheels too and has not made a difference. Think I'll have a go at the Cranks and Bottom Bracket next.

Thanks Lumen and ednwireland, I appreciate the help.

G.

G2ECE wrote: »
    It definitely isn't the Headset nor the Handlebars, Its lower down on the bike

All creaks sound like they come from the bottom bracket. It's the bike's PA system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

My bet would be the seatpost. Take out clean grease and reset. I know it sound like its the bb, but every creak sounds like its the bb. After the seatpost id check the stem / headset. Seatpost should take 1 min.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    All creaks sound like they come from the bottom bracket. It's the bike's PA system.

It's been like tryin to find the g-spot on the missus, at my wits end!! ..........about the bike....... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

It's Gaybo announcing his run for president. Pay no attention to it.

funkyjebus wrote: »
    My bet would be the seatpost. Take out clean grease and reset. I know it sound like its the bb, but every creak sounds like its the bb. After the seatpost id check the stem / headset. Seatpost should take 1 min.

Thanks Funky! you got me thinking, I got fitted a couple of months back and the saddle had to be raised, I think the creak only started then, I'll give it a go. sounds easier than stripping the bike down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

One thing to be aware of with creaks from crankset....

Usually its the bottom bracket or crank arm thats the problem.
    But, - noise and creaks travel through the drivetrain and appear to come from the cranks when they don't necessarily.

I had this problem, - sounded 100% that it was coming from the cranks or Bottom Bracket. Stripped them and checked the bearings and everything, -reassembled and the same result, - still creaking. Thought I was going demented...

It turned out the QR was a bit loose on the back wheel. Quick, 2 second tighten of the QR and problem solved.
    So, the lesson is, that the sound may come from the bottom bracket/crank area but it could be something somewhere (particularly associated with another part of the drive train) else that needs tightening. I've also heard of the cause being the seatpost, and also cracks in the frame.
    Seatpost is a strong candidate, - see if the noise goes away when you pedal standing up off the seat. Even try pedalling with the seatpost saddle out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I have a similar problem but I think I have it solved. I found that one of the bolts on the right crank had loosened (or maybe it had never been tightened - I never checked). It would only creak in higher gears when I started to up the pace a bit and the pedal would be at a certain spot. Got some loctite thread lock and tightened the bolt with it. It stayed tight, but the creak remained. Took off the crank bolt last week and was able to take off the whole right crank by hand.

Funnily enough, you're supposed to need a crank tool to get it off and you need to apply a bit of pressure. So this means that my right crank has worn. Its a square taper BB, but it doesn't look worn - however I can visibly see the wear in the crank. A bit of shopping around has seen me buy the exact same crank off ebay for under €30 delivered. I should have it in the post this evening and I'll set about putting it on. Hopefully it will make the diffeence. I wish the assembly instructions that came with my bike had said to check the crank bolts and I wouldn't have this problem now :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

Also, see if it happens on a revolution of a particular crank arm, ie. left or right. May give a hint of a pedal bearing or crank bolts.

:D I know the feeling with this, - it can almost feel like you're going mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

It's been like tryin to find the g-spot on the missus, at my wits end!! ..........about the bike....... :)

:D sprayed a mouthful of coffee of the keyboard after reading that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

I spent ages trying to find my creak, fearing the worst all the while.

Turned out it was the front wheel QR was too tight - try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Does she creak from the bottom bracket when your trying to find it? :rolleyes:

Okay, so i've plenty of food for thought now, gonna start my process of elimination tonight, fingers crossed I can sort it.

Thanks to you all for your replies, I don't feel alone with my problem anymore! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

also, dont forget your cleats.

Mavic front wheels seem to creak quite a bit. I have to apply some lube to the fork dropouts to stop it. Saddle rails, loose spokes...loads of fun trying to find it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

had something similar there recently, checked everything, greased all the obvious... and still no joy. Then i took my shoes apart and greased the cleats, screws and inner plate and voila... problem solved. Worth a try

You need two identical bikes, one of which doesn't creak. Then swap the parts over and play spot the difference.

Unfortunately you would most likely end up with two creaky bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭enas

Lots of good advice here. I guess the main message here is that a creak could come from anywhere on the bike, but almost always seems to come from the bottom bracket.

I once had a creaking issue that I couldn't resolve, because I so much had this rule in mind, I checked it all, except the bottom bracket. Turned out my bottom bracket was badly worn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

when i have a creaking issue it generally turns out to be my knees :D

hope you get it sorted. its wrecked my head many a time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭cython

Personally if I seem to be getting creaking noises out of a bike, I try to rule out contact points where I can. For example, if it happens when up out of the saddle, then it's highly unlikely to be anything in the saddle/seatpost. By the same token, if you can cycle hands free, or with a finger barely resting on the bars and still replicate the noise, then the odds are that your handlebars, headset, etc. are way down the list.

If the noise still happens through both of those tests, then it's time to look at the cranks/BB/pedals/drivetrain. Pedals are the next easiest to rule out, just try taking one foot off of its pedal at a time, and see does the sound stop when not using either foot. If none of these tests yield a result (i.e. noise is there through them all), then it probably is necessary to attack the core of the drivetrain, be it the cranks, BB, hubs, whatever.

Now the above is not foolproof, and I would recommend finding a smooth, flat, quiet section of road/ground for the tests, but it very frequently serves as a process of elimination.

Advertisement