Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VoIP Phone with UPC Cisco Modem

Options
  • 11-08-2011 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,
    I'm re-locating and working from home and so I've setup an IP phone but I'm having problems getting it working and I think the problem is with UPC's provided Cisco Modem/Router. It's a EPC2425 model.

In the office the phone works fine. The only change I make to it when working remotely is to tell it to connect to the public IP of our office.

On the office firewall I've setup port forwarding to allow traffic to the IP Card.

At home the phone appears to be able to connect to the office. For example I can switch the night service on and off.

The problem is with making/receiving calls. When I dial the number from my mobile the message appears on the phone display "Feature not available" and the call drops.

I'm not seeing anything in the logfiles on the office firewall to say that packets are being dropped so I think the problem must be with the modem.

Can anyone help with this?
    If I upgraded my broadband and got the Thomson modem would I have better luck?

Thanks!
    Shane
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

MrShaneH wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm re-locating and working from home and so I've setup an IP phone but I'm having problems getting it working and I think the problem is with UPC's provided Cisco Modem/Router. It's a EPC2425 model.

In the office the phone works fine. The only change I make to it when working remotely is to tell it to connect to the public IP of our office.

On the office firewall I've setup port forwarding to allow traffic to the IP Card.

At home the phone appears to be able to connect to the office. For example I can switch the night service on and off.

The problem is with making/receiving calls. When I dial the number from my mobile the message appears on the phone display "Feature not available" and the call drops.

I'm not seeing anything in the logfiles on the office firewall to say that packets are being dropped so I think the problem must be with the modem.

Can anyone help with this?
    If I upgraded my broadband and got the Thomson modem would I have better luck?

Thanks!
    Shane

Is your IP phone SIP based?

This could be down to the fact that the UPC modem has a phone service built in and is probably using the same ports as the SIP protocol (5060/5061)

Are you port-forwarding on the Cisco modem? Have you tried other ports?

Advertisement