Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscrone/Iniscrone/Inishcrone/Innishcrone

Options
  • 11-08-2011 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Why oh why oh why does the council keep changing the name of our town... :confused:

To the locals it's Enniscrone. The street signs at either end of the town say Enniscrone. Even the touristy 'Enniscrone of the Sunsets' signs say, er, Enniscrone.

So why then does the County Council keep erecting signs saying Inishcrone?

I seemt to remember when I was a kid seeing signs for Iniscrone, all outside the area, when the actual town signs say Enniscrone. You have the Enniscrone Echo, Enniscrone Church, Enniscrone Golf Club etc (you get the drift) so WHO keeps telling people elsewhere that it's something else?

I remember hearing something about a plebiscite being held 20 or 30 years ago about this, and that the locals agreed on Enniscrone as being the accepted name.

Is this another Dingle/Daingeann/Daingeann Ui Chuis type thing?
    Does anyone care apart from me? :mad: (Maybe I've too much free time to be thinking about such things)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

No I've lived in Sligo all my life and always knew it as Enniscrone. But when I lived in Dublin all the surfers I knew wrote and pronounced it 'Inishcrone' pronouncing the 'SH'. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

It's Irish innit? Irish for Ennis is Inis.

The rest are typos.*

*Possibly a lie

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I hear ya, it's a bit of a headwreck alright. I'm from Carraroe which inexplicably became Carrowroe when the last section of the N4 bypass from Summerhill opened.

I went to school in Ballisodare which is often signposted as Ballysadare/Ballisadare.

If you're familiar with the N17 you'll see signage on the far sign of Tubbercurry directing you for Toorlestraun (Tourlestrane for those of you not in the know).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I thought Ballisodare and Ballisadare were different places. :o

I thought Ballisodare and Ballisadare were different places. :o

Haha.

Those subtle differences might appear to be typos and may not make much of a difference to someone looking for directions but where official placenames are needed for paperwork (passport applications, planning permission etc) then the craic starts.

• Advertisement

I spent two and a half years working as a home care nurse, all over the country. These kind of spelling/signage/common use irregularities exist all over the country and let to many headaches for me when I'd enter a patient's address into my SatNav as spelled to me by the hospital/patient, only to be told that no such place exists. Cue long-winded, convoluted directions to the house and feelings of annoyance and frustration when the SatNav has a similar-ish placename spelling all along, but is out by one or two letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gm361

:confused: This name confusion is not good for tourism. Web searches clearly list 'Enniscrone' as the predominant name used. The Post Office in the town has 'Inniscrone' and the road signs use 'Inishcrone'. The county council's web site uses 'Enniscrone'.
    My satnav (Aldi-Medion) has Inniscrone - I assume this probably applies to all brands of satnav.

The former ammusement arcade evokes fond memories of my early years on holidays but it is time for it to be torn down. I have heard that cost is an issue as it is made from corrugated asbestos sheeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

The County Council don't have a great record when it comes to placename signs. Point in hand with Enniscrone, and as stated the Ballisodare/Ballysadare/Ballisadare and Carrarow/Carraroe/Carrowroe conundrums. Also Tubbercurry/Tobercurry comes to mind

I remember looking out at "Cloney Island" for a couple of months until someone seen sense.

I think they have to go by the official townland names of OS Maps but never explains the various spellings.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭monara

I love Enniscrone and am from Ballina originally. It's always been spelled with an e at the beginning and at the end. The other spellings are from illiterates.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I am heading there tomorrow for the first time on a family holiday.
    I will keep an eye out for the signs.:D

I am renting a house in the sands.
    Any advice/suggestions welcome.
    I hope the place is as beautiful as everyone says it is..
    Have youung kids so hoping the weather is kind to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 enniscrone

As far back as I can remember Enniscrone was spelt "Enniscrone" by the locals.

The street signs at either end of the town say Enniscrone. If you have a look at the wall beside where Londis used to be you will find the place from the original nation school and it is spelt Enniscrone. If you go onto the companies registration office webpage www.cro.ie/search.ie and search for "Inishcrone" you get the result "Your Company and Business Name search for "inishcrone" yielded no result." whereas if you search for “Enniscrone” you will find the full listing of local businesses.

The official spelling according to the Sligo County Council is “Inishcrone” and this is how it is spelt on all map. This is a marketing nightmare, our webpage is www.enniscrone.ie. Anyone from outside the area who finds “Inishcrone” on the map and does a Google search will not fine us. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭monara

Good for you, Sham69. I hope the weather is fine for you. Be sure you visit the valley of Diamonds on the Ballina side of the beach; lovely for kids and private sunbathing. Enjoy. And if you visit Carrahubbock on the Sligo side of the beach, you will be able to pick seaweed (dillisk) when the tide is out. If it's sunny, dry the seaweed on the rocks, eat and enjoy.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cashel Hill

I presume the confusion is because the state regards Inishcrone as the official name, same with Tobercurry, which are not the local usage. Same thing happens with Ballisodare, Bunninadden and Dromahair often gets an 'e' at the end also, and doubtless there are others too. Really should be sorted out to end such confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭WANTStoWORK

Why oh why oh why does the council keep changing the name of our town... :confused:

To the locals it's Enniscrone. The street signs at either end of the town say Enniscrone. Even the touristy 'Enniscrone of the Sunsets' signs say, er, Enniscrone.

So why then does the County Council keep erecting signs saying Inishcrone?

I seemt to remember when I was a kid seeing signs for Iniscrone, all outside the area, when the actual town signs say Enniscrone. You have the Enniscrone Echo, Enniscrone Church, Enniscrone Golf Club etc (you get the drift) so WHO keeps telling people elsewhere that it's something else?

I remember hearing something about a plebiscite being held 20 or 30 years ago about this, and that the locals agreed on Enniscrone as being the accepted name.

Is this another Dingle/Daingeann/Daingeann Ui Chuis type thing?
    Does anyone care apart from me? :mad: (Maybe I've too much free time to be thinking about such things)

A few years back a few 'suits' in Brussels decided they would change the way our road signs looked in this country, they also decided on the 'spelling' of these signs, (with out consulting us I might add), that is why we have a few diffrent variations of road signs. now, theres another bit of useful information for ya!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

monara wrote: »
    Good for you, Sham69. I hope the weather is fine for you. Be sure you visit the valley of Diamonds on the Ballina side of the beach; lovely for kids and private sunbathing. Enjoy. And if you visit Carrahubbock on the Sligo side of the beach, you will be able to pick seaweed (dillisk) when the tide is out. If it's sunny, dry the seaweed on the rocks, eat and enjoy.:)

thanks monara,
    Really looking forward to it, hopefully we will get some nice weather , beach looks stunning.
    Cheers
    Sham.

Advertisement