Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl/Parkside Wet 'n' dry vacum cleaner

• 11-08-2011 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Anyone got any reviews of the Parkside wet 'n' dry vac that's coming up in Lidl on Monday - http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_12515.htm

I did search & found one good recommendation from 2009 but just wondering if there are more people out there with them & what they think of them please :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Radiotower

Wondering about that myself when I seen it this morning.
    Anyone any reports on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

my uncle got one a few months ago, great job. he uses it in the garage just for cleaning cars and sucking up water, also in work sometimes for clearing dust. pretty lightly made (cheap obviously) but does the job if ur not gonna bash it about too much

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ando82

Has this been taken off the site? That link wont work and i can't find it on lidl.ie??:confused:

There seems to be two types now and I'm wondering which would be best - we have a pretty good dry hoover so just want something to clean the carpets every now and then. This looks to be more a carpet cleaner than wet/dry vac and its a good make too.

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_12517.htm

compared to this

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_12515.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

the vax is a carpet cleaner

the other is a dry hoover and also wet hoover (bag removed it can suck up water) but is not a carpet cleaner.

too completely different hoovers, so depends what u want it more for...

• Advertisement

The vax carpet cleaner got very bad reviews on a site i was looking at today. The wet/dry vacum seems to have better power rating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Rented the ones from Band Q recently for carpet cleaning. Cleaned the carpet but left a wet dog smell in the house for a few days! Saw that Vax one this morning and I'd say, stay well away from the sounds of a few reviews. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vax-Powermax-VRS5W-Rapide-guarantee/dp/B004AZGE2E . I'd say it'll be a bit light on the power side and will end up drenching your carpet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I have the older version of the wet/dry vacuum for the past 4 or 5 years. I've found it excellent in the garage for sawdust etc. I have used it for unblocking drains and empting water tanks etc. Only negative I would say is parts....early on I forgot to remove the filter when using it wet and wrecked the filter. Haven't seen a replacement filter since but I'm sure they're available somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

The Vax 6131TO seems to have gotten good reviews on Amazon - its on sale on DID's site at €89.99 + €4.99 delivery. That's cheaper than Amazon. I'm pretty sure its the same as one of my mates has and I cleaned my car seats with it once - it was pretty damn good and pretty shocking the colour of the water that came off them :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

OP's link works fine for me. I bought one back in 2009, the design has changed a bit but essentially the same unit. If you buy bags for them they make a really excellent vac, if you rely on the in built filter then it will get blocked eventually and need replacing. Excellent vac but wouldn't use it wet except in an emergancy as it really needs drying out afterwards or it gets into a right mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭frisket

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    The Vax 6131TO seems to have gotten good reviews on Amazon - its on sale on DID's site at €89.99 + €4.99 delivery. That's cheaper than Amazon. I'm pretty sure its the same as one of my mates has and I cleaned my car seats with it once - it was pretty damn good and pretty shocking the colour of the water that came off them :eek:

I have had two of these VAX carpet-cleaner/vacuums over 20 years. They work fine to start with, but they are heavy, noisy, and fiddly to set up and clean afterwards. Once you get used to them they do indeed suck :-) and they definitely clean well. I'm now looking for a replacement, as the current one doesn't seem to pump properly any more, and the inner casket leaks, probably just from wear and tear.

One minor problem has been the castors: one of them just snapped off after a very gentle bump: I was able to epoxy it back on, but the moulding quality isn't all it could be. I also had to reattach the bayonet valve spigot (where the water tube attaches) because that worked loose.

If someone else made a similar gizmo I'd be interested, but there don't seem to be many places in Ireland that sell them. The Numatic Charles seems to be at least 50% more expensive (but then they have a good industrial rep). It worries me slightly that from the DID site link above, the VAX doesn't appear to have changed at all in two decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Bought one of the wet/dry garage vac from Lidl about 3 years ago so the design is a bit different. Have to say it's pretty useless. Very poor suction for sawdust etc. Also the diameter of the hose is small so it's constantly jamming up.
    I think you would be better off spending more on a better one IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I have the wet and dry one for about 3 years. Very happy with it. Mosty used with powertools, the plug through function with auto start is very useful. It takes quite a bit of rough handling and looks rather battered at this stage, well worth the money I paid for it

Advertisement