Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Castlebar like to live in?

Options
  • 11-08-2011 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi all,

Ive recently been offered an apprenticeship in castlebar (am from Dublin) and am just wondering what its like to live in castlebar? Also will be looking to rent somewhere aswell around the town so are there any areas to avoid? What is the nightlife like or does everyone head to westport??? thanks a mill for the info in advance:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mon7979

Please can you recommend any good pubs / clubs in castlebar, there are 18 of us (30 year old) coming from Armagh in a few weeks time for a night out!! people are now telling me not to go to castlebar but westport? please advise. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

Lived in castlebar town for 20 years of my life. Used to be a nice town, but has gone to hell in recent years. Lots of scumbags and knackers about. Shops are awful, and the town is dear as hell. Although may not be as bad as some areas of dublin, just don't expect too much from it.

Oh goodness!!! not what i wanted to hear

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

truedoom wrote: »
    Lived in castlebar town for 20 years of my life. Used to be a nice town, but has gone to hell in recent years. Lots of scumbags and knackers about. Shops are awful, and the town is dear as hell. Although may not be as bad as some areas of dublin, just don't expect too much from it.

Doom by name and doom by nature! :p

Wouldn't take any of this to be honest OP, its the same as every single town in Ireland, it has its muppets but the post above it just way OTT.

It has plenty of shopping areas and "dear as hell".... give us examples there and we will see.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Listen to Yop, I've lived in Castlebar fo most of the last ten years. It's no different to any other town in the west really, it's not as touristy or picturesque as westport but it's fine. It's no more expensive than anywhere else really either, as for travellers and scumbags, well every town has it's share of those and to be honest Castlebar's not the worst, I live a stone's throw from the local halting site and have never had any trouble once. THe nightlife is what you'd expect really, there's plenty of pubs to choose from, 2 niteclubs(not very good ones) and a late bar or two. Westport has a better nightlife and is only 20 minutes away.

mon7979:I'd go to Westport if I were ye, Castlebar is grand but this time of year Westport does by hopping with tourists and that so its a bit better in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

A bit harsh but I would agree it has done downhill in recent years. I lived there for a few years.

@mon7979 Go to Westport!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

mon7979

More to do in Westport - Croagh Patrick, Beaches, Clare Island - better pubs

Thanks guys

One other thing, I have the hotel booked in Castlebar, though had heard there were buses that go from castlebar to westport on Saturda evenings?

Anyone heard about these, where you can get them, how much they cost, what time they go at / return?

Thanks again
    You have been very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

martyoo wrote: »
    A bit harsh but I would agree it has done downhill in recent years. I lived there for a few years.

@mon7979 Go to Westport!

it really has come on the past couple of years and since they put some money into the place its a lovely town now, I personally find the shops there to be extremely cheap especially compared to dublin or galway and the people are a lot nicer too. fair enough there are a few scumbags on a night out but what large town does not in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Buses every Sat night by Michael Moran, going 4/5 times a night I think on the hour, think it's 13 return or may be even cheaper, if theirs a group of ye I would ring ahead ye can all go on the one bus but 18 should be fine. Enjoy Westport!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,272 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Buses every Sat night by Michael Moran, going 4/5 times a night I think on the hour, think it's 13 return or may be even cheaper, if theirs a group of ye I would ring ahead ye can all go on the one bus but 18 should be fine. Enjoy Westport!

They go from Linenhall street as far as I know, might pick you up from the hotel if you rang though. It was €10 return when I went a few weeks ago. Missed the bus back though :o

brilliant, anyone have Michael's number?

Well, no mtter what people have said, my experience of castlebar people (without having eevn visited it) has been very positive

I appreciate everyone's advice and suggestions for places to go, etc

Thanks

FOUND THIS OUT:

Castlebar-Westport Bus ServiceSaturdays & Sundays€5 each way

Michael Moran (Mobile)
    [URL="callto:+"]cell 7[/URL]Departing Chapel St, Castlebar8pm, 8:30pm,9pm,9:30pm,10pm, 10:30pm, 11pm, 11:30pm, 12amReturning every 30minutes from Castlecourt Hotel1:30am, 2am, 2:30am, 3am, 3:30am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Lots of people will say that Westport is alot better for Nightlife etc but I always find we have a better night in Castlebar. Westport is not as good as some people make it out to be.
    Was out there last weekend for the music festival and the place was dead. Highlight of the weekend was yer man climbing the clock tower and the subseqent struggle with the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

opelastra wrote: »
    Hi all,

Ive recently been offered an apprenticeship in castlebar (am from Dublin) and am just wondering what its like to live in castlebar? Also will be looking to rent somewhere aswell around the town so are there any areas to avoid? What is the nightlife like or does everyone head to westport??? thanks a mill for the info in advance:)

I'm a blow in too and have lived here for 4 and a half years, moved for work. Castlebar is typical of any small rural town. Initially I found it really hard to meet people and found it quite unfriendly to go out in. Just the same as any other town people have made their friends and tend to stick with them, where as in cities people are more likely to be looking to meet new friends as there are more blow ins :) But I think it is what you make of it, I've had great nights out in Castlebar when there is a gang of us, just be prepared to see the same heads everywhere after a while! Westport gets more hens and stags and tourists so it is more lively for a night out, but also more messy to go out in as a result. There are nice low key pubs in both towns. Depends on what you like. From a safely perspective I found it totally safe. Parts of the town look run down but it's totally safe. And there aren't really any 'bad' areas as such to live in. There are some lovely walks and Mayo really is a beautiful county. Castlebar is a great base for trips to Achill, Westport, C Patrick etc etc, you are spoiled for choice. I found the standard of living great here too. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Lots of people will say that Westport is alot better for Nightlife etc but I always find we have a better night in Castlebar. Westport is not as good as some people make it out to be.
    Was out there last weekend for the music festival and the place was dead. Highlight of the weekend was yer man climbing the clock tower and the subseqent struggle with the Gardai.

To be fair this was the worst year for the festival since it started. The line up was poor.

Advertisement