Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef Ireland 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Thewatcher

lizt wrote: »
    Can't believe Bridin is still in! She was asking for loads of help from Dylan last night, he should have not given advice to anyone once they started.

Remember we only get to see what the editor leaves in. He helped Mary, too. I think the main problem with Bridin is that she comes across as a thoroughly unpleasant suck-up. The "He's a living legend" and "thanks for letting us cook your dish" were disgraceful. Her dishes have also not been all that stunning.
    lizt wrote: »
    Christine was the best all along.

'Best' is a bit strong, but she should have been in the final.

The main thing I took from Thursday's conclusion was that Mike cooked so well that he managed to break the easy option of an all-girl final.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I think its unfair at this late stage of the competition that they are judged by their ability to cook other peoples dishes and work in high stress kitchen environments. From the previews of next weeks shows it looks like more of them same!?

I remember in the last few weeks of the UK show it was pretty much just all invention tests with some incredible food being served by the contestants. I don't think the standard is anywhere near good enough to do that in the Irish version. More than likely the final test of the competition will be an invention test to show off everything they've learned, hopefully they'll have some 'famous' critics in who won't hold back if they don't like something.

p.s. I wouldnt be surprised if it comes out after the shows that Dylan is now dating Bridin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I think its unfair at this late stage of the competition that they are judged by their ability to cook other peoples dishes and work in high stress kitchen environments. From the previews of next weeks shows it looks like more of them same!?

I remember in the last few weeks of the UK show it was pretty much just all invention tests with some incredible food being served by the contestants. I don't think the standard is anywhere near good enough to do that in the Irish version. More than likely the final test of the competition will be an invention test to show off everything they've learned, hopefully they'll have some 'famous' critics in who won't hold back if they don't like something.

p.s. I wouldnt be surprised if it comes out after the shows that Dylan is now dating Bridin?

hope her husband aint on this

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭policeman

There is something lacking in this Irish version

This Irish version was hilarious. The British one is far superior. The standard is much higher. The Masterchef UK winners usually go on to opening award winnning restaurants. I really can't see it with this lot. And whats with that Bridin one.Shes very annoying! Is there something going on between her and your man Dylan?? There is no match for John and Greg either. I'm sorry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Arianna_26

I've watched from week one but to be honest I have lost interest now.

From Nick's 'If you weren't married we would be cooking together tonight' comment to Mary to Dylan's astonishment at John Burton Race's opinion that Christine was better than Bridin it's clear, to me, that there is a game of favourites being played here and I don't like it.

I don't really care who wins now. For me Christine was the winner and she was robbed. Maybe if she was blonde things would have been different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

i've watching on and off, this standard of cooking wouldn't make it on the austrailia one or the british one. as per usual, below par for an irish show, but what else is new

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Arianna_26 wrote: »

I don't really care who wins now. For me Christine was the winner and she was robbed. Maybe if she was blonde things would have been different.

Agree with you 100%, I hope she goes onto work in food. She had one bad result, but all through the series she was doing excellent, held her nerve, always delivered on time, madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 munstermiss

Enjoying it, nothing like the UK or Aussie version, Nick and Dylan very dull hosts and Bridin a total pain. So unfair that Christine gone - has been consistently good, unflappable - lost interest now. Likewise Jarek - sent out way too soon - if it was a reality tv show with audience voting some blame on that but the two chefs making the decisions and not fairly made, v disapointing

Hobite wrote: »
    I dont like Mary, I dont know why. Maybe because she is so messy and working very dirty in the kitchen. I like kitchen to be clean and organised.

So agree...her hair is nearly hanging down into the food, not good!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

So agree...her hair is nearly hanging down into the food, not good!:mad:

That is something that has annoyed me from the beginning ... surely in a kitchen she would be told to tie up her hair! Disgusting

Callan57 wrote: »
    That is something that has annoyed me from the beginning ... surely in a kitchen she would be told to tie up her hair! Disgusting
    Especially as guys had to shave off facial hair in Shelbourne - seems completely wrong!

New at this - how do I thank a post??

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

There is a picture of a thumb at the right hand corner of each post. Just click it to thank a post!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

hope her husband aint on this

I don't think Bridin is married. Anyway Dylan has a girlfriend (not saying that that would stop him!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

shes married alright

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Think you need 10 posts or something like that.

Thanks, can't see thumb on right so maybe need more posts first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Are the ladies all wearing stud earrings?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Hobite

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Are the ladies all wearing stud earrings?
    Probably. But Clare-Anne likes big earrings. For example, even in this foto she wears long earrings: http://www.rte.ie/tv/masterchef/cooks_clareanne.html

And I remember in series one time she had huge earrings. I always notice earrings because myself I make them. But believe that kithchen is not that place where you have to look fashionably.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Hobite wrote: »
    Probably. But Clare-Anne likes big earrings. For example, even in this foto she wears long earrings: http://www.rte.ie/tv/masterchef/cooks_clareanne.html

And I remember in series one time she had huge earrings. I always notice earrings because myself I make them. But believe that kithchen is not that place where you have to look fashionably.

Stud earrings and a wedding band are the only forms of jewellery allowed by law in kitchens, looking good for the camera must over rule food safety on this show.

shes married alright

Is Bridin married to the guest chef? Giving him some smile and twinkle of the eyes!:D Say she knows him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Stud earrings and a wedding band are the only forms of jewellery allowed by law in kitchens, looking good for the camera must over rule food safety on this show.

Is Bridin married to the guest chef? Giving him some smile and twinkle of the eyes!:D Say she knows him.

I noted that about the big earrings & also one of the girls (can't remember which) is sporting an engagement ring all the way through .... I imagine that's a H & S issue in a kitchen too surely!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

A few chef friends of mine that have seen the programme said that Christine is the only contestant to have shown any promise but still would of had to work extremely hard to perform in a busy kitchen.

Maybe dylan might give her a start in his restaurant??

I dunno what nick and dylan were thinking but i cant see the winner doing much from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

For me it's disappointing because the challenges have nearly all been about following a recipe rather than showing some creative flair.

A few chef friends of mine that have seen the programme said that Christine is the only contestant to have shown any promise but still would of had to work extremely hard to perform in a busy kitchen.

Christine only one left able to handle kitchen, disgusted she left, shows programme up for what it is - pure viewing figures, she just got on with it so maybe less entertaining than mary/ bridin throwing a fit/flirt, and yes she was an amatuer but although hate to say cos painful to watch Bridin prob likely to be next best suited - Mary falls apart completely and Kevin (is that the man left??) not much talent left at all, both Clare ann and Jarek better for stress of kitchen than those two

Christine only one left able to handle kitchen, disgusted she left, shows programme up for what it is - pure viewing figures, she just got on with it so maybe less entertaining than mary/ bridin throwing a fit/flirt, and yes she was an amatuer but although hate to say cos painful to watch Bridin prob likely to be next best suited - Mary falls apart completely and Kevin (is that the man left??) not much talent left at all, both Clare ann and Jarek better for stress of kitchen than those two

Not sure what the program is trying to do: get viewing figures or showing just how little Irish talent there is. In the UK program, they were all cooking 2 and 3 course meals in the studio by this point. These people have never had to make more than one dish at a time in the studio. Too much restaurant/hotel/following other people's recipes for me. Not enough creativity for us to actually be able to tell who can cook and who can't. Certainly not enough talent on show, but maybe they got the audition stage wrong?

I'll just be sticking with Masterchef UK in future. Shin-aw-ful be the hokey. Usual embarrassing twee Irish pale imitation. Sure what would you expect anyway. Of course, one can always rely on rte for commissioning the likes of this :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Luis21

It's utter garbage to be fair. Nick Whatshisface says less and less each week because the producers have coped on he hasn't a clue. Well apart from his ability to make silly faces/noises or say "I love you". The standard of cooking is a joke. The bloke in the final is a crap chef and Christine must feel harshly done by but I suppose they didn't want 3 women in the final.

I really want to hate Dylan McGrath, esp. after seeing the doc. about him a few years ago when he came across as a complete git, but I have to say I like him.

• Advertisement

Luis21 wrote: »
    Nick Whatshisface says less and less each week because the producers have coped on he hasn't a clue.

Absolutely agree. He might be a restaurateur, but his expertise is in front of house. His palate is questionable, and his charisma is non-existent.
    Luis21 wrote: »
    The standard of cooking is a joke. The bloke in the final is a crap chef and Christine must feel harshly done by but I suppose they didn't want 3 women in the final.

I actually backed Mike to win after I saw the audition stage, but the problem is that the standard hasn't increased as the series goes on. They're supposed to be learning from their restaurant/hotel, etc. experiences, but I don't see any improvements. Christine appears to be a more competent cook than Bridin, but Bridin did better in the studio test. I thought (hoped) Bridin might go. Mike did well in the last studio test, which I think is the test that influences the judges most.

Advertisement