Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef Ireland 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Thewatcher

MiCr0 wrote: »
    I was surprised how little cooking they seemed to do in the restaurant kitchens
    They were cooking the meat/fish but most of the rest of the prep seemed to be done already.
    In the final challenge, was that ice cream made already? So she was just scoping it out?

How about the various sauces and creams, where they made already?

Yup. They appeared to be plating components already cooked. Mary had to cut the triangles into shape and put a quenelle on top (which she failed to do satisfactorily, according to the chef). Not a balanced set of tasks, methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

Hammertime wrote: »
    No, you couldn't.

Not by a long way.
    Have you been to Ardmore?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

eddiem10 wrote: »

Yes several times, I know Martijn, have been involved with him in a working capacity. Lovely man and a super chef obviously but he's simply not better than Oliver Dunne, and he's considerably behind Kevin Thornton. Derry & Ross yes I'd plump for Martijn, and Guillaume you can't really compare to as he sticks within a certain comfort zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mrs Ron Burgundy

Is that the Cliff House??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

They were cooking the meat/fish but most of the rest of the prep seemed to be done already.
    In the final challenge, was that ice cream made already? So she was just scoping it out?

Yes, they didn't really appear to be doing much of the cooking to me. Maybe only one or two components and then plating up.

Getting to the final of Masterchef without being able to scoop ice-cream and place it on top of a dessert with the help of a pastry chef says a lot about the standard of the competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 April08

I hope Mary wins... she seems so genuine... she appears really passionate the way she cooks, so unpretentious.... I dont think Mary got a fair amount of coverage last night.... I think Brigin is such a lick ass.... i certainly hope the judges can see through all that.... either way both the girls have been offered positions in a michelin star restaurant... not bad for home cooks!!!...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

Is that the Cliff House??

It is indeed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

April08 wrote: »
    .... I dont think Mary got a fair amount of coverage last night.... ...

She underwhelmed. Partly too to the actual orders, her dish was not very popular at the menu ~ ergo she did not get a chance to prove her capacitance as the other two did.

I still think the better candidate has already been fired. I'd actually not give any of these chefs the masterchef title ~ Brigin, from last night could make me reconsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,483 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You could also argue that the best Michelin starred restaurant in Ireland is not in the Dublin area!!!;)

Sorry, my mistake. That was meant to be best restaurant in Dublin! I haven't been to any Michelin starred restaurant outside of Dublin, so couldn't comment :)
    Which Restaurant?

Thorntons imho. I've been to both Thorntons and Guilbauds several times and the food in Thorntons was consistently of a different level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 munstermiss

gbee wrote: »
    She underwhelmed. Partly too to the actual orders, her dish was not very popular at the.
    menu ~ ergo she did not get a chance to prove her capacitance as the other two did
    I still think the better candidate has already been fired. I'd actually not give any of these chefs the masterchef title ~ Brigin, from last night could make me reconsider.

Best candiadte - Christine definetly, still disgusted with her unfair evictionfor sake of not three girl final and hate to say as she is a pain in the ** but think Bridin did in fairness perform best and road to glory hers - Mike not a runner really and Mary couldn't scoop the icecream out right!? Shame as she has been my favourite after Christine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 munstermiss

Agree with some of previous qoutes - was this not a cooking rather than a plating up exercise??
    Like to cook myself and loved Masterchef Oz in paricular - great masterclasses etc, contestants had much more time to learn and develop, Irish version a much more rushed affair, little for the viewer to learn, overall very dissapointing, Dylan didn't expect to like but interesting enough, Nicks role still uncertain, less and less to say as series went on.
    Not sure will bother to tune in next time, if gets a rerun, just another reality tv show with little to offer, could learn alot from the OZ version, much moe entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mrs Ron Burgundy

There are only two michelin star restaurants outside of Dublin, one in ardmore and one in belfast...as far as I know.

I'll be honest though all the michelin stars in the world don't make up for a bit of atmosphere and comfortable surroundings...in my opinion anyway

There are only two michelin star restaurants outside of Dublin, one in ardmore and one in belfast...as far as I know.

I'll be honest though all the michelin stars in the world don't make up for a bit of atmosphere and comfortable surroundings...in my opinion anyway

deanes lost his star last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 rspeedie

Hammertime, you seem well informed. So you know who the winner is? I wonder do you really know:) That secret was guarded pretty closely even from previous eliminated contestents ... so interesting.

I would disagre with you (as would many many others I know) about The Cliff House not being as good as the other starred guys in Dublin. I think the food Martijn is putting out is far more cutting edge than anything else thats going on in Ireland. But food is all about opinions. Gregans should have definitely got it's star, Michelin don't visit Ireland enough. I thought one Dublin restaurant would lose theirs....

A couple of points...the full three course meal in 3 hours is only ever the final task in Masterchef so for the producers it was nothing to do with anyone's 'lack of ability'.

In the competition, the contestants only got to cook their own pre-practiced dishes on 4 occasions. The audition round episodes, Episode 3 You on a Plate, Episode 4 The Critics, and the final episode, tonights. I think you'll obviously know that most chefs on a day to day basis are cooking dishes they know well, have developed over time and have carefully designed for service.

I think for amateur cooks, knowing the guys having tasted their food and having tasted food in many many restaurants over the years, the standard was pretty high, but I would say that, wouldn't I?

Myself and a few other from the show will be doing a dining night for 100 people in November, cooking dishes we've designed ourselves, well well above 'average bistro' standard so we'll have to see how we get on wont we!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

rspeedie wrote: »
    Myself and a few other from the show will be doing a dining night for 100 people in November, cooking dishes we've designed ourselves, well well above 'average bistro' standard so we'll have to see how we get on wont we!

Who is you :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Hobite

amdublin wrote: »
    Good question. I am curious now too.

I am waiting for tonight show. Will be interesting to see who will win. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Looking forward to it too,having said that I wouldn't go out of my way to have any of them cook my meal in a restaurant.:(

Mary to win it is my shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Thewatcher

amdublin wrote: »

Clue: his hair is red and he cries a lot.

rspeedie wrote: »
    Hammertime, you seem well informed. So you know who the winner is? I wonder do you really know:) That secret was guarded pretty closely even from previous eliminated contestents ... so interesting.

I would disagre with you (as would many many others I know) about The Cliff House not being as good as the other starred guys in Dublin. I think the food Martijn is putting out is far more cutting edge than anything else thats going on in Ireland. But food is all about opinions. Gregans should have definitely got it's star, Michelin don't visit Ireland enough. I thought one Dublin restaurant would lose theirs....

hi there, where did I say the cliff house wasn't as good as Dublin stars. I said it's not the best starred place in
    Ireland, which it isn't, and I then said it's better than C-One and L'Ecv.

As for Gregans, it's been the trendy name to be touted for star the past 18 months or so, it's a lovely place etc etc but as you know the first star is simply about the food, the surroundings are irrelevant. And what Michelin want is pure consistant brilliance to win a star. Any chef can cook a good meal, some of them can even cook a great meal, but to be able to cook a flawless meal every single time is what separates the one in a thousand chefs that can acheive Michelin standard. Gregans are simply not at that level and imo they won't get a star next year either. Lovely place to eat though!

I think Nevin is due his star imo, if only he would stop doing every dish as an assiette he would probably already have one by now !

And yes, I know who wins, you can't keep a secret for 6 weeks !

And finally I agree, Chapter One should have lost their star two years ago, they never replaced Garrett and it's been downhill since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

You hardly expect a kitchen to make ice cream to order do you?

In any case, yes alot of sauces etc are made before service so that during service you just have to cook the main proponants of the dish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

So who won?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭greenpilot

If its worth its salt, Mary Will win, please not Bridin, breegeeen, brideeen...whatever

gbee wrote: »
    So who won?

:eek:

Please do not reveal the winner!!!!

Some of us want to watch it you know!

The continuity was cr@p there :confused:

Two shots of her talking about her husband from two different days??

Marys on talking about fetishes.....what is this ? Show and Tell?? COOK ALREADY!!

Cant wait for Bridins, breegeeeens, brideeeens....whatever...show and tell!! Get the buckets out

Bridin is like a real no nonsense country matron in work :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Jaysus come on ffs!

greenpilot wrote: »
    Cant wait for Bridins, breegeeeens, brideeeens....whatever...show and tell!! Get the buckets out

humph, actually didnt come across that bad...still mary to win

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Get to the cooking bit already.

Advertisement