Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef Ireland 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nfornoddy

Does anyone know where the programme is shot? I assume it's some renovated factory/mill in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭purcela

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Kangaroo :eek: :eek: :eek: It's a no from me.

Have you ever tried kangaroo? Because if you haven't then that is the most idiotic comment I have ever read, commenting on somebody's food without tasting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

purcela wrote: »
    Have you ever tried kangaroo? Because if you haven't then that is the most idiotic comment I have ever read, commenting on somebody's food without tasting it.

From the posters comments I would take it they have eaten kangaroo and did not like it and therefore it is a no.

Like jebus I've tasted many a "fine" food (eg. Venison...fois gras....those macaroon things in BTs) and just not liked it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Well impressed with the opening episode.
    Obviously a good cop/bad cop set up but liking it so far.
    That asian food by the lad from Limerick-if you're reading-WOW!!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

amdublin wrote: »
    From the posters comments I would take it they have eaten kangaroo and did not like it and therefore it is a no.

Like jebus I've tasted many a "fine" food (eg. Venison...fois gras....those macaroon things in BTs) and just not liked it.

Macaroons in BTs are too sweet. If you see them elsewhere they are worth trying again. Was in McDonald's of all places in Switzerland and they really were nice.

Favourite recipes from tonight? I am searching for the crab spring roll thing, that looked so yummy! Are there only some recipes online or did I imagine that one? Haha. I see a prawn one listed.. maybe it was prawn..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Very impressed with tonight's episode I must say.

There was some very thought out camera angles to avoid the pink eye, but apart from that I thought the filming and production was very good. I was afraid it would be an Afternoon Show style kitchen with bacon and cabbage entries, but it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

bit disappointed to be honest, i was hoping it would follow the masterchef Oz or NZ format rather than the English one.
    Lobster boy would have been good to keep on, he'd certainly have folk talking...at least his wife thinks he cooks michelin standard food!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

nfornoddy wrote: »
    Does anyone know where the programme is shot? I assume it's some renovated factory/mill in dublin

Kilmainham Gaol I think.
    bit disappointed to be honest, i was hoping it would follow the masterchef Oz or NZ format rather than the English one.
    Lobster boy would have been good to keep on, he'd certainly have folk talking...at least his wife thinks he cooks michelin standard food!

I found the Oz format to be very, very reality TV based rather then a cooking competition.

Lobster boy would purely be there as a reality TV cringe. We are at the cringe stage of the competition but lets leave it at masterchef for the end of the season.

As I have never seen the UK version from beginning to end, I was quite surprised to find myself enjoying the show, I think its because I don't watch it all that often.

And as I am very, very critical of Shinawhil's production skill, I have to compliment them on a show well made, hopefully it will transfer over to The Apprentice and The Voice.

The Judges were better then I expected, Dylan McGrath came across as a much nicer person then I expected (after the Tubridy Tonight incident)

Oh and why is Lorraine Pilkington doing her impression of India Fisher (the BBC voiceover artist)?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EggsAckley

I was fairly happy with it and will keep watching. The "Boohoo your life is hard, well your food isn't good enough so on your bike" was refreshing. And the general way they tell people they're not up to scratch is a nice change. They're not patronising but they're not dicks about it either. And the praise when they do like something seems more measured and believable than the ridiculously effusive BBC version

• Registered Users Posts: 86,266 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

purcela wrote: »

I dont want to eat skippy :p

I have never tried it but was surprised with that choice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Best bit I thought about the show was the judges, they come across better than I expected, and seem to, for the most part to want the contestants to succeed. That said there were a few times one said yes just so the person would go through to the cook off. The yes no thing was a bit pointless they could have simply said almost there comeback and try again tomorrow.

The standard of food was also much higher than I expected even some of the ones that failed to make it, that soup with the wee dumplings .... drools :)

Did anyone risk a making dessert or vegi dish? Maybe tomorrow. Being off all things buns and cakes etc. on doctors orders, tv is the only I can get my fix :(

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Poor Stuart.

What? He just said no to her without tasting it? It did sound insane, but surely the whole point of cooking is combining flavours regardless of what you know about their own individual flavours. They're all crazy.

I can't watch another unemployed person not getting an apron :(

Gah, Blood on the Plates.

I missed what was wrong with your man's bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭smartaform

I can't watch another unemployed person not getting an apron :(

Your dish lacks experience, so for that reason it's a no from me...

Take that unemployed person!!! Is it just me or are the 2 judges OVERLY ANAL??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Go on hte auld fella with the flame thrower

F-Stop wrote: »
    I missed what was wrong with your man's bird.

No flavour.

Think it was old (don't know when it was filmed)

Needed another component with eg. Veg. It was just a bird.

Cheers amdublin.

• Advertisement

No flavour.

Think it was old (don't know when it was filmed)

Needed another component with eg. Veg. It was just a bird.

Bird had to have been at least 5 or 6 months on Ice :D

Did not feel the least bit sorry for the eeeejit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Jeez that Scottish chcik makes some horrible faces. Disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Is anyone else surprised at how nice Dylan McGrath is? I was expecting a Gordon Ramsay type but the guy seems to be a gentleman.

Is anyone else surprised at how nice Dylan McGrath is? I was expecting a Gordon Ramsay type but the guy seems to be a gentleman.

Same here, had a completely different impression of him from seeing him on other things.

Yeah he has a bad reputation, maybe he's saving the temper till he gets them in the kitchen, doing trials or whatever

just looking at those eggs pop over the dish /drools

What did that last guy make?

I don't think I have ever seen such a happy Polish guy. Well done to him

NickDrake wrote: »
    Jeez that Scottish chcik makes some horrible faces. Disgusting

Her and her sister were like a caricature by Matt Lucas and David Walliams

Did you see him in that docu a couple of years ago about trying to get a Michelin star for Mint? God he was horrendous.

• Advertisement

Her and her sister were like a caricature by Matt Lucas and David Walliams

Did you see him in that docu a couple of years ago about trying to get a Michelin star for Mint? God he was horrendous.

Different man in the kitchen I'd say. Back in Mint - he was in a crazy high pressure setting.

His new restaurant is a lot more relaxed so that has probably rubbed off on him.

Advertisement