Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the joys of cycling

• 11-08-2011 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

having completed my carlingford to dublin cycle and back again.
    the combination of being rained on for 4 hrs and the roads of north dublin has completely wrecked me and am now suffering 'burst arse syndrome'.

want to share an event that happened to me yesterday, cycling past a large pub outside dunleer in the rain and noticing a big gathering of cars, l noticed a car pull out in front of me, fully laden with panniers doing 25mph in the rain l feared the worst as the braking distance would be too much, so l hoped the car would turn right up the road allowing me to squeeze on the inside., but no he went straight across to a staggered crossroad. Frantic pulling on my brakes caused a skid of some magnitude (my back wheel is buckled) but fortunately by the skin of my teeth l came out of it without hitting him or coming off the bike.
    Now fairly standard stuff l hear you say, well here comes the funny bit.

l rounded the car and gave him both barrels shouting nay screaming at him 'Feck you' 'Have you no fecking eyes in yer head'
    an old man driving gives me the customary wave (the hey l nearly killed you but look l'm waving thing)
    so seeing he was elderly l veered away back onto the main road to be met by what must have been a large group of mourners from a funeral party standing at the side of the road, mouths agape in horror at my abuse of a fellow elderly mourner,
    christ on a stick the next 20 miles was done with the reddest face, no need for lights ,just thought l'd share a father ted moment.:eek:

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Jeez you've had some trials and tribulations on a bike - swallowing a bee, chased by a pack of savage hounds, and now your "Father Ted" moment at a funeral

I'm glad I live a much more mundane existence ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

....I just cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I was thinking more yesterday in the pouring rain, 'why the hell do we do it'.

My hairest moment yesterday was coming down a hill so steep and so wet that even though I was crawling down it, the back wheel still slid when I applyed the brakes. Feathered the brakes to try and go even slower than my current crawl did nothing, and the back wheel still slid.

Praying that there was nothing coming along at the t junction at the very bottom of this drop, and looking at the large grass area at the far side of the junction as my salvation, I finally managed to come to a stop in the wet grass and remembering to un clip my self from the pedal before landing on my side, receiving bemused looks from people in the shop and on a local building site, thinking, look at that fool, you would think he would have picked a better day.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i came back to the car last night thunder, lightning torrential rain ( the previous 70 mins were fine a heay donegal drizzle) and a bunch of tourists huddling in a shop window look amazed as i unlock the car load the bike on the roof (no rush i was wet through anyway) go into th eoffice get the rest of the gear load up drive home

( mind i had a french driver doing crazy signs as i was riding up a col in the jura in a torrential downpour as well)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

I live in Dundalk so cycle through Dunleer a lot. It is without doubt the most dangerous place to cycle. The residents there park where ever they want & just pull out onto the road without looking. I literally hold my breath riding through it every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

LCD wrote: »
    I live in Dundalk so cycle through Dunleer a lot. It is without doubt the most dangerous place to cycle. The residents there park where ever they want & just pull out onto the road without looking. I literally hold my breath riding through it every time.

Well, if you don't get knocked down you will certainly die of asphyxiation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

having completed my carlingford to dublin cycle and back again.
    the combination of being rained on for 4 hrs and the roads of north dublin has completely wrecked me and am now suffering 'burst arse syndrome'.

ResampleImg__36156_std.jpg+ assos-chamois-cream.jpg

Actually, I find 33464.gif
    to be pretty effective...

Advertisement