Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punch Down or Through Coupler Patch Panels

Options
  • 11-08-2011 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

Any have any experience with Through Coupler Patch Panels? Im looking into redesigning the comms room at work, and my suppliers are giving me mixed signals (pun intended) on what is the better solution.

There would be 4 x 24 port panels at either end of the the install, with about 10 metres between the two.

Anybody have any working experience with one versus the other? How do they compare in terms of signal degradation etc.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Mods, perhaps this would be better in the servers and systems forums?

Incidentally, theres no real hang out for sysadmins here really is there? New forum anyone?!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭rugrat69

bobmeaney wrote: »
    Any have any experience with Through Coupler Patch Panels? Im looking into redesigning the comms room at work, and my suppliers are giving me mixed signals (pun intended) on what is the better solution.

There would be 4 x 24 port panels at either end of the the install, with about 10 metres between the two.

Anybody have any working experience with one versus the other? How do they compare in terms of signal degradation etc.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Bob you can use 10mtr RJ45 Patch cords at each end but it would be advisable to use solid core cable for the distance. Coupler through panels are fine once you are confident in making off the RJ45 Crystals. Signal should be fine once terminated correctly and tested accordingly.

I think Wood Communications supply these panels if memory serves me.
    www.woodcomm.ie

Hope this helps.
    Rugrat.

rugrat69 wrote: »
    Bob you can use 10mtr RJ45 Patch cords at each end but it would be advisable to use solid core cable for the distance. Coupler through panels are fine once you are confident in making off the RJ45 Crystals. Signal should be fine once terminated correctly and tested accordingly.

I think Wood Communications supply these panels if memory serves me.
    www.woodcomm.ie

Hope this helps.
    Rugrat.

Thanks for the info!

Now when you say Solid core for the distance, youre not referring to to UTP cable right? My idea was to have CAT6 running between both panels. What is the solid core youre referring to?

Cheers!

Thanks for the info!

Now when you say Solid core for the distance, youre not referring to to UTP cable right? My idea was to have CAT6 running between both panels. What is the solid core youre referring to?

Cheers!

Solid core is the conductor is solid withing the UTP cable as oppossed to stranded cores. Standard patch cords you buy tend to be stranded and work up to a certain distance before you have issues with impedance. If you buy a standard box of cat6 UTP cable most the time it will consist of a solid conductor core.

Hope this helps.

Rugrat.

Thanks again Rugrat. Regarding the solid core, how then is attached/punched down to the panel? Is there a breakout box of some form?

• Advertisement

Thanks again Rugrat. Regarding the solid core, how then is attached/punched down to the panel? Is there a breakout box of some form?

No need for any breakout boxes just run your cat6 cable between point A And point B and crimp on your Rj45 plugs and patch into the rear of the panel at each end as it will be a socket if going for coupler style panels

Advertisement