Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook have my mobile number and my friends can see it!!

Options
  • 11-08-2011 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

This is really bad form in my opinion, I saw someone's status update yesterday warning about the fact that facebook have the mobile numbers of friends stored in the friend list on facebook. Now as far as I recall, I've never authorised facebook to take my number from anywhere, I've never supplied facebook with my number and haven't signed up for text service or anything like that via facebook either. I'm not so bothered about the fact that facebook may somehow have had access to my number based on things I've connected via my phone, I'm just another of the millions I'm sure they have on file, but I don't like the idea of my number being visible to anyone who happens to be my friend especially without me not having a clue about this until I see a status update.

I never wanted facebook near my mobile in the first place, my Desire came with the facebook app and so did Froyo when I updated, I may have logged in once or twice but that's about it, I didn't actively use it, I didn't sync facebook contacts and I definitely didn't authorise, to my knowledge, facebook scraping my number from anywhere and publishing it to all friends. I even recently updated to Cyangenmod7 and was happy to see the option to leave the facebook app off the phone, which I did of course because I never used it and didn't want my phone which I use for business related in anyway to facebook.

Can anyone tell me how they may have got my number? My brother confirmed that the number is visible from his profile, he thought maybe this is because he may have synched it with his contacts, but then he sees numbers of people he doesn't have the mobile number of in his phone so I'm thinking my numnber is probably visible to everyone aswell. I don't want this.

Can anyone advise on steps to take? It says that I should turn synching off from my mobile device, as far as I know, I never enabled synching with facebook in the first place and I don't want to install a facebook app to turn synching off. It also doesn't explain whether disabling the feature will remove my number, or just my friends numbers and still have my number visible to my friends.

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You signed your soul away when you signed up for facebook in the first place. You agreed to their licence.

They have your number because you signed in using their mobile app.

Here is a useful link that will fix your problem: www.suicidemachine.org - an easy way to nuke your facebook account, and other social networks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

cormie wrote: »
    I never wanted facebook near my mobile in the first place, my Desire came with the facebook app and so did Froyo when I updated, I may have logged in once or twice but that's about it, I didn't actively use it, I didn't sync facebook contacts and I definitely didn't authorise, to my knowledge, facebook scraping my number from anywhere and publishing it to all friends.
    Your sure you didnt agree to let facebook use your mobile number when you installed the facebook android app?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Keith186

There's many articles online about this. They put up your whole phonebook and matched it against the names of Facebook people including non friends.

They didn't make it clear they were doing it either until they were caught out and had to give some notification.

Check guardian tech section for an article.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

srsly78 wrote: »
    You signed your soul away when you signed up for facebook in the first place. You agreed to their licence.

They have your number because you signed in using their mobile app.

Here is a useful link that will fix your problem: www.suicidemachine.org - an easy way to nuke your facebook account, and other social networks
    how does that get rid of fb? cant see it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

The app came preinstalled as far as I know and as far as I recall, I never actually used the facebook app itself, I may have signed into facebook once on the browser itself, but even that I'm not sure of. I don't think I ever authorised, with my knowledge, facebook on my mobile because I read about it mixing the contacts with phonebook contacts and I didn't want that happening at all so made an effort not to let facebook itself near my phone.

I don't want to nuke my facebook account, but I don't want it near my phone and I don't want my phones information, and certainly not contacts I have on my phone, linked to facebook at all. That's terrible to think the likes of my grandparents and parents numbers might be now on facebook even though they would never have used facebook in their lives and never will but yet facebook can now see "mam" connected to my account with her number.

Do they have my whole contact list on their files now??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Facebook have your number, because you added it to your profile.

Your number is visible to your friends, because you chose to make it so.

There is no other reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

if you run the actual fb app on your phone go to the main page (not the news) and press menu -> settings.

There is a contacts entry that has 3 options. You want the third one Remove Facebook Data if it is not already checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Keith186

I never added my number to my profile EVER!

But it was there recently after all this shenanigans. They for it from someone else's phonebook who used an iPhone or android to log in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

testicle wrote: »

Before your edit I was gonna say "Exactly".

You gave Facebook your number. Did you have to authenticate your profile using your mobile?

Last week I signed up for text alerts and set my number to NOT be visable on my profile in the process. However, it still was. So I had to change it in my settings. This is why I didn't say "Exactly" because it isnt necessarily on view because you chose to make it so!

Facebook does not upload phone numbers and contacts from phones that sync with Facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Before your edit I was gonna say "Exactly".

You gave Facebook your number. Did you have to authenticate your profile using your mobile?

Last week I signed up for text alerts and set my number to NOT be visable on my profile in the process. However, it still was. So I had to change it in my settings. This is why I didn't say "Exactly" because it isnt necessarily on view because you chose to make it so!

I never gave Facebook my phone number. I never authorised or confirmed my mobile number with them.

What they are doing is uploading your phone contacts to Facebook and using the names/phone numbers from your phone contacts to match with your Facebook friends. You can probably see contacts there like "Home" or non-facebook people too.

It's easily stopped:

Go to settings -> Accounts & Sync -> Facebook/Facebook for HTC Sense -> Uncheck Sync Contacts.
    Alternatively, update to the latest facebook app, open it on the home screen (not the news feed), click Menu -> Settings -> Contacts Sync -> Don't sync.

Then go to: https://www.facebook.com/contact_importer/remove_uploads.php?r=/phonebook and click Remove.

Job done. The only contacts who will appear on your list then are those facebook friends who chose not to remove their phonebook syncing, which I still think is a terrible decision - if I want an empty facebook phone contacts page I should get it :). So to sum up, if you want your number not to display on other friends' phonebooks, you must remove phone contacts yourself.
    Facebook does not upload phone numbers and contacts from phones that sync with Facebook.

Yes, it does. Before I removed phonebook contacts myself I saw my house phone number, my insurance broker's number, Meteor Customer Care and other non-facebook contacts on the list. The only thing I couldn't do with them was click "Add friend" because they don't have profiles.
    Facebook wrote:
    Facebook Phonebook displays contacts you have imported from your phone, as well as your Facebook friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Pretty sure this thread is in the wrong forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

I use htc, where on my facebook profile does it show my phone number? I cant see it.

If youre talking about the phonebook app, it does not upload your phone number, it simply searches your phonebook and matches your contacts with your facebook friends, so if you have Paul McBride on your phone, and on your facebook, it links the account on your phone so you can get status and birthday reminders in your phonebook and when they phone you.

If someone else has you on facebook and your phone number on their phone, it links the details on their phone, they didnt get the number from facebook, sometimes it gets it wrong and sometimes you have to manually link.

It does not upload your phone number to the web and share it with the world as far as I know, I cant see it anywhere.

I use htc, where on my facebook profile does it show my phone number? I cant see it.

https://www.facebook.com/friends/edit/?sk=phonebook

You won't see your number on that page though. Your friends may see your number if you added it to Facebook at some point. There are a few issues with this. Take my own example; I had two friends A and B. Neither of them are in my phone contacts. But when I visited that page yesterday I saw them there because they are my friends and at some point they added their phone number to Facebook. So essentially, facebook gave me their phone numbers.
    If youre talking about the phonebook app, it does not upload your phone number, it simply searches your phonebook and matches your contacts with your facebook friends, so if you have Paul McBride on your phone, and on your facebook, it links the account on your phone so you can get status and birthday reminders in your phonebook and when they phone you.

This is completely separate from phonebook linking.

I cannot confirm if Facebook uploads your mobile number. Say for example I have a friend who has me as a phone contact, but also linked me to my facebook account because we're friends on facebook. I don't know if when she uploads her phonebook contacts, Facebook takes my number from her, and then shares it out with everybody else who I am friends with on their respective phonebook contacts page.

Yes, it does. Before I removed phonebook contacts myself I saw my house phone number, my insurance broker's number, Meteor Customer Care and other non-facebook contacts on the list. The only thing I couldn't do with them was click "Add friend" because they don't have profiles.

Sorry, I should have added... without asking your permission.

Sorry, I should have added... without asking your permission.

I don't remember seeing a prompt for Facebook to sync my contacts. Even if there was, they must have hidden it well because under no circumstances would I have agreed to let them do it. The first thing I did when this was brought to my attention was turn it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

A friend in the UK once told me my mobile number was visible on his Facebook page, I didn't even have a Facebook account, it appears it was somehow pulling numbers from his contacts and displaying them, but not publicly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

This thread has nothing much to do with Android, but it is mobile related, so I'm moving it to the relevant forum.

Now taking off the mod hat for a moment...
    cormie wrote: »
    The app came preinstalled as far as I know and as far as I recall, I never actually used the facebook app itself, I may have signed into facebook once on the browser itself, but even that I'm not sure of. I don't think I ever authorised, with my knowledge, facebook on my mobile because I read about it mixing the contacts with phonebook contacts and I didn't want that happening at all so made an effort not to let facebook itself near my phone.
    I'm afraid that somewhere along the way you almost certainly authorized it - corporations are generally very careful about making sure you agree to these things before doing anything.

Where Facebook is not preinstalled, you would have had to run the app at least once and if it did come preinstalled, the EULA for Facebook was most likely bundled in with whatever EULA you signed off on when first running the phone.

Mobile apps, particularly Android ones, have the potential to invade privacy to a frightening degree, which is why you should always be extra careful whenever you install or update any app or agree to any EULA that comes with it.

Thing is that most people are too lazy to even scan, let alone read EULA's, and then later claim (unconvincingly) they never agreed to anything. In reality, you almost certainly did, but didn't actually read what it entailed when you did.

As a cautionary tale, I recommend you watch this episode of South Park.

Maybe somewhere I did agree to it by not reading a EULA extensively, but I certainly hadn't a clue this was going on until I saw a friends status update on facebook only yesterday. As far as I recall, I never logged into the facebook app but that may not be 100% correct. Now, I don't want my number or any of my contacts numbers being displayed anywhere, even to me. I also don't want to install the app just to disable the feature, does anyone know is it possible to disable and delete all traces of this without installing a facebook app?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Why would you be 'friends' with someone you don't want having your number anyway?

• Advertisement

I have a relatively low number of friends on facebook. I just went through my list and there is nobody I would mind knowing my number. I got a friend request from some unknown person just the other day, I sent a message asking hwo they are and why they want to request to be friends, I haven't heard back and haven't confirmed them as a friend. A lot of people might confirm them and then later delete them, in which time they would have been able to find my numner. I just don't like the idea of it anyway. I tend to keep facebook as place to go to catch up with ****e that doesn't really matter to me, but I guess that's why it's so successful because even people who have no real interest or liking for it, still use it. My phone however is a device I use to communicate private matters with family, friends and customers. I don't want the two mixing. Getting emails sent to my phone through the email address I have associated with facebook is more than enough for me. I've never wanted to use my phone to log into facebook, I may have had to log in once to do something but I can't remember. So if anyone has an idea of how I can disable and delete all traces of this ever happening without installing a facebook app on my phone, please share :)

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

FB has put every phone number from my mobile phone book on my account. I have a blackberry 8520. Anyone know who to take the phone numbers off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't do "facebook" but if you sign up shouldn't you understand what you are signing up to and how to work the levers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭murraykil

mike65 wrote: »
    I don't do "facebook" but if you sign up shouldn't you understand what you are signing up to and how to work the levers?

They change, add and remove levers often.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

my number has never been on facebook, nor hae I ever agreed to it being there, its there because someone else synced their phone contacts to facebook and now its on their friends list info.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Wow this is scary. I just looked up the phonebook on Facebook (never knew it existed) and I see all the contacts from my phone on there. I never authorized Facebook to do this, I only authorized it to sync contacts *from* Facebook *to* the phone, not the other way around. I am deleting the Facebook app now and I will be deleting my Facebook account next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

whats the problem, if they are your friends they should have your number anyway, if your friends with people on facebook who arnt your friends, why are you friends with them. case closed

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Jagle wrote: »
    whats the problem, if they are your friends they should have your number anyway, if your friends with people on facebook who arnt your friends, why are you friends with them. case closed

My problem is not the fact that anyone would have my number (I have added it to my profile anyway), but the fact that the Facebook app uploaded my contact list to Facebook. I never authorized it to do that. I don't want Facebook to know who is in my phonebook. The Facebook app is gone from my phone now and my Facebook account is going next.

Jagle wrote: »

It's not that simple, people may have friends on their list for whatever reason, but access to a few pages about a person which they might log into every few days to have a look is a lot different to having a direct dial contact to someone for a device that people generally have on 24/7 wherever they go. It's also the fact that even if they do have it somewhere in the EULA, I image 99% of people haven't read that EULA and don't read EULA's in general before signing up, call it naive but I don't think it's unfair to think you're details are kept private enough when signing up to a popular website.

If anyone can advise how I can reverse this without having to install the fb app on my phone please do :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Facebook changes/updates almost always reveal more information about people. I don't think they've ever made a change that hides information. TBH they've made it more complicated so it easier for people to get caught out...

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1566020/facebook-boss-caught-privacy-change

Wonder why...

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2010/05/14/delete-facebook-account-trending-google/

Advertisement