Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook have my mobile number and my friends can see it!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Is this the CT forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

https://www.facebook.com/friends/edit/?sk=phonebook

You won't see your number on that page though. Your friends may see your number if you added it to Facebook at some point. There are a few issues with this. Take my own example; I had two friends A and B. Neither of them are in my phone contacts. But when I visited that page yesterday I saw them there because they are my friends and at some point they added their phone number to Facebook. So essentially, facebook gave me their phone numbers.

They dont upload your contacts or your number. This is people who have the privacy setting to friends for their phone number.

I can confirm that none of my contacts were uploaded and no one can see my number. If you want to stop people seeing your number then change the privacy setting.

Account >> Privacy Pref

If you added your phone number either through the security checks, or whatever and left the "share with friends" option checked as default, and then complain that your number was shared, you just look silly.

The friends you see in the contacts, have shared their number on facebook, its very very simple. Some people have always shared their phone number on facebook, others did it by accident during security verifications etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

They dont upload your contacts or your number. This is people who have the privacy setting to friends for their phone number.

Not true. My phonebook contained the number of my bank and my gym plus a couple other company internal numbers - they all appeared in my Facebook phonebook.
    The friends you see in the contacts, have shared their number on facebook, its very very simple. Some people have always shared their phone number on facebook, others did it by accident during security verifications etc.

If you delete the contacts that were illegally imported by the Facebook app from your phone then yes, this is what remains, people who have shared their number.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

article printed on theRegister this morning about this :
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08/12/facebook_contact_list_stirs_rumour_pot/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Trust Facebook at your peril.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I wouldn't say anyone who happens to have had their number published is a dumbo. It's -ev to sit through a huge EULA, privacy policy etc trying to weed out parts you may not be happy with. Something like this should have a prompt to notify you rather than just going ahead and doing it I believe. I never posted my number or connected my number to my facebook account manually, it must have scraped it from my phone, if I agreed to that by somehow doing something on my phone, fair enough, but I certainly wasn't aware of it so to call anyone with the same situation a dumbo for not spending a few hours reading the terms is a bit rich.

Will following the REMOVE link be enough or do I still need to somehow disable it from a mobile device?

+1 Facebook make things complicated to grab as much info as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

This is a rumour that has grown legs. There is no grabbing of numbers; whatever is there is stuff you've put there, or your friends have put there.

See this summary on The Register

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

when the phone-facebook sync, the contacts on your phonebook appear on your facebook webpage contacts list. these are the details from your mobile sync.
    these details appear only to you and not to everybody.
    (details are on internet - this could be a risk, but you chose to sync it at the first point)

your phone number can be viewed in your privacy setting. if its shared with others then yes everyone can see it. if you have selected only me, then the number is visible only to you. but again this is on the internet.

• Advertisement

KrisW wrote: »
    This is a rumour that has grown legs. There is no grabbing of numbers; whatever is there is stuff you've put there, or your friends have put there.

See this summary on The Register

It seems to me, that people didn't realise synch on their mobile was putting information up on facebook. They thought it was downloading it to their mobile. Facebook didn't make it clear, with the result that numbers not related to their facebook contacts got uploaded.

Facebook book has a habit of not making things clear resulting in the sharing of information. Never the other way around. They are very dismissive of personal privacy, which I'd be wary of them for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

A friend in the UK once told me my mobile number was visible on his Facebook page, I didn't even have a Facebook account, it appears it was somehow pulling numbers from his contacts and displaying them, but not publicly.

Ahem. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

https://www.facebook.com/friends/edit/?sk=phonebook

You won't see your number on that page though. Your friends may see your number if you added it to Facebook at some point. There are a few issues with this. Take my own example; I had two friends A and B. Neither of them are in my phone contacts. But when I visited that page yesterday I saw them there because they are my friends and at some point they added their phone number to Facebook. So essentially, facebook gave me their phone numbers.

This is completely separate from phonebook linking.

I cannot confirm if Facebook uploads your mobile number. Say for example I have a friend who has me as a phone contact, but also linked me to my facebook account because we're friends on facebook. I don't know if when she uploads her phonebook contacts, Facebook takes my number from her, and then shares it out with everybody else who I am friends with on their respective phonebook contacts page.

I was genuinely shocked when I clicked on your first link and saw ALL my mobile numbers on Facebook. I certainly did not ever give permission for this (unless the permission was extremely dishonestly hidden or disguised).

This has really soured me on Arsebook.

Thanks to all for bringing this to my attention and for the method to undo it.

For my info, if you have Twitter or Google+ on your android phone are they doing the same thing with your phone numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

For my info, if you have Twitter or Google+ on your android phone are they doing the same thing with your phone numbers?
    Assuming you sync your contacts with Google / Gmail then yes Google have all your contacts. Google + I'm not sure why, but it doesn't even seem to sync with Gmail never mind phone contacts :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Has this been done away with? I can't find whatever page I remember seeing before, trying the phonebook link above just takes me to an invite page and I can no longer see anyone number, good if you ask me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Facebook used to show my mobile also on my profile.
    what i did was, click "info" on profile (left side) you should see it there under "Contact information". click edit and "Remove"
    or you could choose invisible mode, you can select the setting "Only Me" and no friends will see it.

Advertisement