Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stereograph 3D Photography - anyone tried it?

• 11-08-2011 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

Had a look and I can't see a thread on this. Was playing around with the camera earlier and had a go at creating a stereograph image;

DSC_0053.jpg

You have you cross your eyes and try get a central single 3D image to come into focus. It's not a great photo but the 3D effect seems to work quite well!

I was wondering if anyone here has done much with this? Would love to see some results!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

iT s rEAllly hArd to Tipe afTer doINg tahT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I did a few with an old Viewmaster stereo camera borrowed from Squareballoon

5104860953_d3f17c5021_b.jpg

5105332164_91562d5fcd_b.jpg

Click through to the flickr pages to see the animated versions, it gives an uncanny 3D effect.

subsequently did another roll which I still have to scan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Ive dabbled in it before I was interested in photography but, after seeing this thread I must do some agian :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,398 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Old Pentax S4 had a setting for taking 3D images, but basically just helped take two photos a few inches apart, camera came with glasses for printouts, which made it easier to view

5008351330_07ae331fa6_z.jpg

few more here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

That's a great one Ghost Train!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

It never works for me. Only ends up giving me a headache... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

I can never view these either...and someone mentioned it's cos of my glasses?

Would these work wearing 3D glasses from the cinema?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,096 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Ghost Train's worked best for me. I had to hold my iPad at arms length to get it. The others, I couldn't get the two images to overlap. I was just praying that the wind wouldn't change direction when I was trying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

For the first two minutes reading this thread I was absolutely sure it was a practical joke, but then, like a magic eye picture, it suddenly worked.

Pretty cool, I can see the stereoscopic effect, but is it just me or does the act of crossing your eyes not also force them out of focus?

EDIT: Actually, if I go very close to the screen it stays much more in focus. The one with the dog works really well. I'm wearing glasses for short sightedness.

EDIT2: Oh wow, try moving your head a little bit once you've focused on the image. It appears my brain tricks itself into thinking I'm changing perspective a little bit. Worked well on this one from Ghost Train. Looks like he's wiggling his nose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I did this a while back. Always handy to do one with a border.

3863820613_7261d5b3a8_z.jpg

Great effect but is very sore on the eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭shemwhistler

I just get the headache, never the effect, ah well.

PS - I can't believe that no one has said "It's a schooner" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

If you tape 2 disposable cameras together so the lenses are about 63mm apart and push the shutters at the same time you can achieve stereo photography.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Can't get it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Aoi

I think the whole idea is really interesting, I'd love to be able to do this, but unfortunately, I can't really see 3D =/ Damn glasses.

EDIT: after trying really hard, I saw it, I freaked out a little =p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Ive got glasses and I can see them fine. I found the reason I wasnt seeing them initially is that I was crossing my eyes far too much. Cross your eyes and then slowly relax them back into a normal position.

Perhaps it depends on the reason you need glasses or how bad your vision is.

Tries with glasses on, it's way easier, thanks =]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Yeah I made a mount for my slr and did some. Il post something when I'm not on mobile.

Never played with it much in honesty. I'm more creative than I am dedicated.

If its still in my shed I'll post up a shot of the contraption

On a slightly unrelated note, it you play the same video, with two different media players, side by side, you can get the same effect. When you get it synced right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Saw something related to this. Same technique, but threw some dust/confetti during in the mix. Think it kind of enhances the effect.

http://mashable.com/2011/08/21/3d-photo-animations/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Saw something related to this. Same technique, but threw some dust/confetti during in the mix. Think it kind of enhances the effect.

http://mashable.com/2011/08/21/3d-photo-animations/

Also a classic example of how to write a great content free artists statement ...

“In addition, space and time is heightened by the use of three-dimensional animated gifs. Their movement serves as a visual metaphor to the spatial link we share with stars as well as their separateness through time.”"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

Yeah its a neat effect, I can do it without the glasses but it can make your eyes ache a bit. Tilting the angle of your head to and fro just at the point where the images are coming together helps as well to make it work. Out of interest did anyone try it when BBC hd showed the Wimbledon tennis final the same way? It kind of worked for me - but of course the picture was a bit squished up horizontally and the 3d effect wasn't all that great, I think mainly because the subjects were generally too far away from the lenses, and also the lenses were too close together for the subject material.

Simon201 wrote: »
    Out of interest did anyone try it when BBC hd showed the Wimbledon tennis final the same way?

I hadn't heard of that but just found this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i20qhXRp7I
    (embedding squashes it, click 3D in video and choose No Glasses)

The music video at the end works very well.

Interesting show on the use of stereograph 3D photographs in world war 2 on BBC right now...

Advertisement