Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pooey covered cot..??!

Options
  • 11-08-2011 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hey

this may seem like a bizarre post, but at least 3 times a week, my son (21 months) will wake with a dirty nappy, and try to take it off / put his hands in it and spread it all over the cot sheets and teddies etc.

usually when he wakes in the morning, he will play with his toys, and start to grumble about half hour later to get out. I'm wondering what to do, i talk sternly to him about it, but not sure if a smack will cause him to not do a poo when he needs to? its just such a haslte, as all the bed linen has to be washed, and the floor washed and hoovered down, not to mention him covered in poo??

Just wondering if anyone any advice / similiar experience?

PS. not interested in hearing from judgemental know it all NON- parents! cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I had a similar experience, which meant the end of a child minder. :(

He was probably a bit older then that, but has speech problems.

Anyway, he was starting to become aware of having pooped himself. Some kids sit in it, some kids will cry, some kids will take matters into their own hands. You can guess where my boy went.

Does he always go at the poo when he does, or only sometimes? Maybe changing his feeding schedule? Maybe set the alarm to check / change him in the night. I presume you're not at the potty stage yet, but it looks like he is just trying to get rid of the poo, then trying to clean his hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Maybe try training?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 rebseire

hey, in response to Markr, in the day, if he has a dirty nappy, he will come to me and point to his nappy, and say do do, and i know he needs changing.. so yes, i guess he is becoming more aware of knowing when he needs changing. We are moving to UK next week, so didn't realy wanna start potty training befre we move, as will be a big change for him, but will try once over there a week or two...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭catch me if you can

im a parent to a 22 mth old.maybe just get him up when he wakes up instead of him playing in the cot. he prob gets bored and has clicked you come when he makes a big mess.
    also never ever hit a 21 month old baby. in fact never hit a child full stop:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Agree with "catch me if you can"...if you know when the problem is you can take steps to avoid it. Get up earlier so he doesn't have the opportunity to "play" with the poo.

If he's recognizing it during the day he's doing the same in the morning.

If you're not willing to get up earlier then you'll have to duct tape the nappy around him so he can't get it off. It'll only be a matter of time, though, until he figures another way around this.

Also, +1000 to:
    also never ever hit a 21 month old baby. in fact never hit a child full stop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My little 1 did this at 8 months, she knoes now how to take off her nappy. Now i put her in dungarees in bed! The minute she wakes we jump out of bed and change her then she'll play for 1/2 hour. She always poos between 6am and 8am!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

rebseire wrote: »
    Hey

but not sure if a smack will cause him to not do a poo when he needs to?

sorry, what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

What is he wearing along with the nappy? I'd suggest seeing if you can get pjs that are nigh on impossible for him to get out of by himself, that way he can't access the nappy.

Also there is no point or no need to smack him. He won't have a clue what you are smacking him for!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,915 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My niece started doing this recently, but also took the nappy off and kinda stuck it to the wall with the poop :( Poor SIL was at her wits end, but somebody suggested putting pull-ups on her for bedtime because they don't have the little tape bits so they might be harder to pull off. It seems to be working well so far, but I'd imagine if the baby is old enough and crafty enough this would only be a temporary solution!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

If he's still in sleepsuits, put them on him back to front.

• Advertisement

Thanks all for the suggestions, never thought of putting on the sleep suit back to front! I've been getting up earliar, and getting him up when he wakes, so no pooey mess this morning.

I'm going to avoid the topic of smacking a child entirely as i think discussing such a debatable topic via email / text is way to easy to misunderstand what someone means, and just makes for frustrations and confusion. I know lots of people that agree with it and lots of people that don't.

Cheers

as soon as we are settled in our new house, we will start the potty training!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Pull ups are a good idea too actually. We also did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I'd suggest getting up slightly earlier and change his nappy.. he's obviously not comfortable in it and poo is just another thing to play with. I don't see why you should smack him ?? he's not doing anything wrong he's just bored..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Have you tried giving in and acknowledging his status as a Prisoner of War.

He may end the protest.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Maybe you should try potty training? Also Try putting pull ups on him. It should help. As for smacking him to stop it...personally i dont smack at all but even if i did i doubt it would do any good in this situation as he is not doing it to be naughty, he just doesnt like having a pooeh nappy and he is trying to take it off/clean himself. This, coupled witht the fact he comes to you duing the day to tell you he has a dirty nappy suggests he could be coming into a good stage for toilet training. And as you say it would prob cause confusion and make him worry about going to the toilet in the first place.

Thanks for all the suggestions, i've resorted to putting on sleep suit backwards, great idea and getting up earliar then him and going into him when he wakes up..! Problem solved!

Advertisement