Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cant Tune in Freesat

• 11-08-2011 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Im trying to install a new Freesat installation. Im only picking up four Arabic channels on Astra 28.2. Cannot get any other channels. Anybody have any suggestions as to what the problem could be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Sounds like you're not on 28E...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 FiresaleBuyer

Yeah, thats what I thought but the receiver is set to Astra 28.2. The channel search function on Astra, just finds four arabic channels, and fails on the rest of the searches.

I had signal intensity of 86%
    and signal quality of 74%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Yeah, thats what I thought but the receiver is set to Astra 28.2. The channel search function on Astra, just finds four arabic channels, and fails on the rest of the searches.

I had signal intensity of 86%
    and signal quality of 74%

I know your receiver might be set to 28.2 but are you sure that your sat dish is pointing at it properly?

I know your receiver might be set to 28.2 but are you sure that your sat dish is pointing at it properly?
    I dont know for sure.

Im checking the orientation angle again with dishpointer.com now. Thanks.

I dont know for sure.

The elevation bracket is indicating around 26 degrees. And Ive used Dishpointer.com to locate the correct direction.

Im using a satellite finder. The alarm only activates at the current orientation so I presume Im on the strongest satellite.

Well,
    I'd say the problem is with your dish orientation so.

I set up on freesat myself last year, there's no easy way to align the dish properly - I had an app for an iphone that showed the sat positions and got it roughly pointed in the correct direction. Then it was a case of trial an error to fine tune the position. You really need two people, one person to be looking at the tv while you move the dish about until you've got a proper signal.

• Advertisement

Well,
    I'd say the problem is with your dish orientation so.

I set up on freesat myself last year, there's no easy way to align the dish properly - I had an app for an iphone that showed the sat positions and got it roughly pointed in the correct direction. Then it was a case of trial an error to fine tune the position. You really need two people, one person to be looking at the tv while you move the dish about until you've got a proper signal.

OK, cheers. Ill have to do a lot of back and forth from the dish to the TV, since its just me here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭MrSneeg

Im trying to install a new Freesat installation. Im only picking up four Arabic channels on Astra 28.2. Cannot get any other channels. Anybody have any suggestions as to what the problem could be?

try a UK postcode instead of an Arabic one :D

MrSneeg wrote: »
    try a UK postcode instead of an Arabic one :D
    The device didnt ask for a postcode. And there doesnt seem to be any option in the menus or settings for entering a postcode. The receiver is a Ferguson Ariva 120 HD Combo.

I presume because its a "Combo" then its already configured for Ireland, hence no postcode required.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

The device didnt ask for a postcode. And there doesnt seem to be any option in the menus or settings for entering a postcode. The receiver is a Ferguson Ariva 120 HD Combo.

I presume because its a "Combo" then its already configured for Ireland, hence no postcode required.

Freesat = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freesat

Generic Free To Air Receiver = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTA_Receiver

scaller wrote: »
    Is it possible to upgrade the software to turn it into a Freesat box, in order to receive british channels?

The Ferguson 100E is advertised by some Irish satellite shops as "Freesat", so I thought I was buying a Freesat receiver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

You can sometimes think you're on a particular satellite because you get a signal strength reading on the transponder info for that satellite . That transponder can be common to a number of satellites , so you can be tuned into a satellite and get a signal strength reading telling you it's on another one . Astra 2 is roughly where the sun is at 11 o clock in the morning with the dish tilted slightly forward from vertical . If your close to that now , keep trying to tune in and search each signal you lock onto until you get the english channels . There are three satellites in a row very close together at that location , the furthest east of them is Astra 2 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is it possible to upgrade the software to turn it into a Freesat box, in order to receive british channels?

The Ferguson 100E is advertised by some Irish satellite shops as "Freesat", so I thought I was buying a Freesat receiver.

You need to align your dish correctly to receive the Free Satellite channels such as BBC, ITV etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭AstralTV

no it is not possible, 'Freesat' is a brand name and is licensed to various manufacturers of satellite receivers such as humax, grundig , goodmans, manhattan,etc

the above boxes are unlike FTA boxes in that they update channels etc and have a full 7 day epg,

selling a ferguson as freesat is completely misleading

calling FTA channels freesat channels is also misleading as a sky box with no sub can receive the same FTA channels but you dont call them sky channels,

freesat boxes have the 'freesat' logo on them, any FTA box without a 'freesat' logo is just a FTA satellite receiver.

AstralTV wrote: »
    no it is not possible, 'Freesat' is a brand name and is licensed to various manufacturers of satellite receivers such as humax, grundig , goodmans, manhattan,etc

the above boxes are unlike FTA boxes in that they update channels etc and have a full 7 day epg,

selling a ferguson as freesat is completely misleading

calling FTA channels freesat channels is also misleading as a sky box with no sub can receive the same FTA channels but you dont call them sky channels,

freesat boxes have the 'freesat' logo on them, any FTA box without a 'freesat' logo is just a FTA satellite receiver.

What you say is true, but OP is wondering if he will get the Freesat channels on his receiver, the answer is yes - you probably will be able to without a software update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

Get your dish aligned first.
    Deal with the box afterwards.

There is a satellite very close to 28.2E at 26 degrees that has arabic channels, and another at 30.5 degrees.

f you're still receiving them - ie have moving pictures/sound and if you can tell us what the names of the arabic channels are, and maybe the frequencies they're on, someone will tell you how to align the dish correctly for 28.2

As I'm sure you're aware by now, the secret is to make very small movements of the dish at a time.:D

Advertisement