Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cpu upgrade

Options
  • 11-08-2011 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Lo folks,
    long time reader, first time poster, below is a summary of my build but i,m thinking of upgrading my cpu, but i am limited to 95 watt and am3+ socket.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

Operating System
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1
    CPU
    AMD Phenom X3 8450 33 °C
    Toliman 65nm Technology
    RAM
    4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (6-6-6-18)
    Motherboard
    ECS GF8100VM-M5 (CPU 1) 30 °C
    Graphics
    P223W (1680x1050@59Hz)
    DELL E156FP (1024x768@60Hz)
    896MB GeForce GTX 260 (nVidia) 69 °C
    Hard Drives
    313GB Western Digital WDC WD3200KS-75PFB0 ATA Device (SATA) 34 °C
    977GB Hitachi Hitachi HDT721010SLA360 ATA Device (SATA) 34 °C
    Optical Drives
    DOXWFER 1AJODMF81M SCSI CdRom Device
    SAMSUNG DVDWBD SH-B083L ATA Device
    TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653A ATA Device
    Audio
    VIA High Definition Audio
    PSU
    950 watt

Regards

Raggy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

On my mobile so can't check your motherboard specs, but are you sure its am3+ or just am3? If its am3+, you're well better off waiting for bull dozer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Its an AM2+ board? Full CPU support listing for it can be found here here.

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?DetailID=911&CategoryID=1&MenuID=20&LanID=0

Good news is that the list looks quite up to date, so you can take pretty well any 95W AM3 chip , which includes all athlon II X2,X3,X4s, all Phenom II X2 and X3s, a healthy selection of Phenom II X4 (up to about the 945), and X6s as well (up to a 1065T).

The next question is how much do you want to spend? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ragnor

yes its an am2+ socket sorry guys, typo error

am looking for a fairly good upgrade so all cpu,s will be considered no matter price,<br />
    is marked as am3 ready too

http://amdcpus.com/Phenom-II-X6-1065T-166.php

would the above be a good upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The only problem is that the 95W X6s are hard to find. I think the 1065T is OEM only and the 1055Ts seemed to only make an appearance for a few months before disappearing.

To answer the question - yes, it would be a good upgrade if you can find it. You might have to accept something lower though.

• Advertisement

thx mono, yeah i,ve been looking all over for them, they seem very rare

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I would kind of wonder if much lower than an X6 worth it, even the most powerfull 95W Phenom IIs with L3 cache (Like the 940 etc) are very hard to find, which leave me wondering if the step up to Athlon II or mid range Phenoms quads like the 640/840 which are easy to find retailers for, be worth it at all. It would be a fairly moderate in the grand scheme of things really.

I just wonder if it wouldn't be money better put away for a full CPU/Motherboard/Ram upgradte a few down the road from now. (Just playing devils advocate :))

i,ve been toying with that idea too myself, as i have an old mid sized case that my mobo would fit into for a retro style media centre, the 95 watt limit is killing my selection tbh it seems

I think the mobo, cpu, ram bundle may be the way to go for me down the line
    Thank,s for all the feedback guys

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

It could be a good idea to wait a bit longer alright. Soon we'll see what AMD's new processors are like and hopefully they'll be good value.

• Advertisement
Advertisement