Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One for C&C

• 11-08-2011 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Have a shot for c&c. Taken on Boughil Mountain in County Kerry on a damp, wet day - the light was completely against me leaving the image looking quite flat.

6025707007_26fe8a0bd8_z.jpg

Taken with Nikon D50 and standard kit lens. On the lookout for a decent lens for taking landscape shots (seperate post in the workshop).

I had a number of similar shots that day that look quite flat. Anyone have anu suggestions on how to give it some life or is this just a case of being limited by the light and conditions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

Pretty nice shot...

As for giving it a bit more oomph I reckon you could just bump up the contrast and saturation a little bit on that..

Or alternatively to that I reckon this photo would really lend itself to B+W

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭m-i-m-m-

Agree with above... I think b+w would suit it much better. Landscape shot on dull days often looks better in b+w. Give it a try!

One thing to note is just converting to greyscale, or completely de-saturating the image with the saturation slider will usually give quite flat results. Below is a link of one method of converting to b+w in photoshop, there are many different methods and its worth reading up about.

http://bythom.com/bandw.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Nice shot but I think it possibly need a clear focal point/subject and some foreground interest, maybe? What do I know anyway! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Thanks for all the advice.

Bumped up the saturation and contrast on the shot. Will have a go at a b&w conversion as well - I always seem to struggle with these but will give it a shot.

kelly1, fair point as regards a single point of interest - maybe these types of shots would work better with something in the foreground (not too much up there bar rocks!).

Anyone know any good online resources for Landscape Photography?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭shemwhistler

Regards the foreground POI I'm wondering if something more could be made of those fence posts.

You know, for when you're next up a mountain :)

• Advertisement

Regards the foreground POI I'm wondering if something more could be made of those fence posts.

You know, for when you're next up a mountain :)

:)

I had tried a few shots incorporating the fence posts. In then end settled for having them running off down the side of the shot. Hard to position them elsewhere without effectively dividing the shot in two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

I like this shot as it is. The weather, the rain and the dramatic sky are really nice. Maybe a bit more of the fence post on the left would work.
    Some mountainshots can work really well on a dull day like this. Im not so sure that it would look great in Black and white, there is a lot of green in the shot and after a conversion there may not be a lot of contrast in this whole area.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i really like the colours in it.

I like this shot as it is. The weather, the rain and the dramatic sky are really nice. Maybe a bit more of the fence post on the left would work.
    Some mountainshots can work really well on a dull day like this. Im not so sure that it would look great in Black and white, there is a lot of green in the shot and after a conversion there may not be a lot of contrast in this whole area.

Thanks for that. Tried the B&W but it didn't work too well. Like you said, the greens didn't make for a great contrast. Few more from the same days walking.

6040829709_2bba54cb44_z.jpg
    Turf cutting at the Priests Leap

6041323700_7e4dac5c9e_z.jpg
    The Priests Leap

6030548456_b544e879d8_z.jpg
    Barfinny Lake and Molls Gap from Boughil

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Love the first shot. Please do t go B+W. Every landscape on the random thread seem to be going that way, it's dull and uninspiring. Colour maintains the texture and depth much better in my opinion. We have beautiful green midtoned landscapes. Seems pointless to convert to b+w all the time. Heavily desaturate if you want to but not all the way!

Besides that, great shot well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭jaybe1

Some lovely shots there. Must take a trip to the south west again some lovely scenary.

Thanks for the feedback. Only had a short while out on the hills - would need weeks down there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

I don't normally comment on these threads...but what the hell.

I really like this image. It conveys a very truthful account of what it's like to be in the countryside this summer! I'll never get tired of seeing a rain-shower sweep across the landscape...beautiful.

As others have said, you might bump the contrast a little, but I don't think it's actually that flat. There's some really nice light in the foreground. One thing I *would* do is to either crop out the nearest fencepost, or if you have spare image area, crop it fully into the image. The way it is it "bleeds" into the left and bottom edges of the image and I think it's distracting.

Advertisement