Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking into the ranks!

Options
  • 11-08-2011 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I've decided to start my own training log because i feel its an easier way to stick to my goals and prevent me from going off track. Basically i used to run as a juvenile when i was younger but stopped about 4-5 years ago. I was fairly good and have a few All-Ireland medals to my name but i was still very young when i quit. Since the 13th of May I've been running by myself just to pass the time really but lately (about 3 weeks ago) i decided i wanted to take it seriously again. I haven't got any pb's because i haven't ran any races in years and i don't want to go by pb's i had as a child so I'm going to start fresh.

What made me return to running was that i couldn't help but think how good i could have been, I've beatan people as a juvenile who now have won all-ireland championships and have ran in european youth and junior championships. Its impossible for me to stand back and think how good i COULD have or WOULD have. Im determined enough to get back to where i was and see what my body is capable of!

Here is the program I've been following for the past 3 weeks:

Week 1 (18th of july):
    Mon: 30 minutes easy

Tue: Track session of 2x200 , 2x300 , 4x100
    2 minute recovery between runs with 5 mins between sets.

Wed: 30 minutes easy

Thurs: Rest

Fri: 30 minutes easy

Sat: Track session of 12x200m with 1 min recovery in 34/35 seconds.

Sun: Rest.

Week 2:
    Mon: 30 minutes steady

Tue: 30 minutes steady

Wed: Track session of 4x800m with 1 minute recovery in 2:35-2:40

Thur: Rest

Fri: 30 minutes easy

Sat: Track session of 12x200m with 1 min recovery in 33/34 seconds

Sun: Rest.

Week 3:
    Mon: 30 minutes steady (4+ miles)

Tue: Track session of 200,400,600,400,200 with 3 mins recovery in 31,71,1:53,69,29

Wed: 40 minutes/ 6 miles steady.

Fri: Long run 60 mins/ 8 miles easy

Sat: Rest

Sun: Rest

Week 4 (This week):
    Mon: 40 minutes/6 miles steady

Tue: Track session of 8x400m with 1:30 min recovery in 71,73,72,73,73,72,72,72

Thur (Today August the 11th): Rest

Just to note that all my mileage is done on grass because i don't really like the road except my long run was done on the road. I'm considering doing the cross country depending on my level of fitness. Also im planning on doing a 5k in early September. I have no clue what I'm capable of so any time will be a pb!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

I'm still a junior this year so I hope im still not to old to make an impact also i plan on training with my college who has a large training group and a good coach so hopefully it will all keep me motivated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Milo83

Im also on the comeback trail at the age of 28. Being away from the sport for over 10 years and also wondering what would have happened if i had stuck with it. So ive decided now that my schedule is a bit more free workwise im going to make a go of it.

What sort of training have you done pre July 18th when u started in to a schedule? Was it just easy jogging on grass and slowly build up or were you doing a bit of easy interval/speed work also?

What event are distance are you training for?

Milo83 wrote: »
    Im also on the comeback trail at the age of 28. Being away from the sport for over 10 years and also wondering what would have happened if i had stuck with it. So ive decided now that my schedule is a bit more free workwise im going to make a go of it.

What sort of training have you done pre July 18th when u started in to a schedule? Was it just easy jogging on grass and slowly build up or were you doing a bit of easy interval/speed work also?

What event are distance are you training for?

Pre July 18th was easy jogging on grass gradually building it up the most I ran was about 8 miles. I started introducing a bit of speed/interval work but it was a bit all over the place. With no specific program to follow it was difficult to keep consistency. Now that im following a program its easier to just get out and run.

I feel I'm more of a distance runner and I always enjoyed cross country although its hard to know exactly since i never race over 800/1500 meters either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

4-5 years is not long if you have kept fit, I left it 20 years! Good luck with the comeback.

dna_leri wrote: »
    4-5 years is not long if you have kept fit, I left it 20 years! Good luck with the comeback.

Thanks. True, I never stopped playing sports completely so it wasn't as hard getting back up the mileage.

• Advertisement

Did my long run today it was about 8.3 miles and took 67 minutes. I took a new route so i wasn't to sure otherwise i would have kept it on the hour. It was only my second long run on my new training program so i was very pleased considering. Also the route i took was nearly all uphill so hopefully that'll stand to me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

pa4 wrote: »
    I'm still a junior this year so I hope im still not to old to make an impact also i plan on training with my college who has a large training group and a good coach so hopefully it will all keep me motivated :)

Wait a min this isn't my training log? :D

Any chance this college is UCD? If so great training group out there and a coach who has really brought best out of the runners who were under him last year out there. (Think there are few boardsies amongst them also)

Best of luck on the comeback

ecoli wrote: »
    Wait a min this isn't my training log? :D

Any chance this college is UCD? If so great training group out there and a coach who has really brought best out of the runners who were under him last year out there. (Think there are few boardsies amongst them also)

Best of luck on the comeback

Nope its WIT their team has really come a long way. They came third in the road relays and second in the IUAA cross country! Their coach is an ex irish international.

Nope its WIT their team has really come a long way. They came third in the road relays and second in the IUAA cross country! Their coach is an ex irish international.

Another good college team. Your right they have come a long way. I didnt realide they all trained together whole year round i thought the Ferrybank lads trained together with the club moreso?

Another good college team. Your right they have come a long way. I didnt realide they all trained together whole year round i thought the Ferrybank lads trained together with the club moreso?

Most of the time they just get together after college and train. Ferrybank train in the RSC track which is about a 2 minute walk from the college so i suppose its handiest for everyone that way. Most of the athletes are living together this year as well.

• Advertisement

Most of the time they just get together after college and train. Ferrybank train in the RSC track which is about a 2 minute walk from the college so i suppose its handiest for everyone that way. Most of the athletes are living together this year as well.

Good to have close knit group of athletes to train with to. I am guessing from your training as of yet your a 800m runner yeah?

Good to have close knit group of athletes to train with to. I am guessing from your training as of yet your a 800m runner yeah?

Ya its so much easier to have people to train with because its easier to keep motivated! To be honest i havent done an 800 since i was 15 when i was last running. My best was 2:10 which was reasonable enough for my age. My coach reckons i could give 800 a fair shot although im still not fully sure where my true potential lies. I probably wont get to run an 800 till the indoor season next year but I'll give the cross country a shot to give me the strength :D

Did my speed session at the track yesterday morning, 12x200m with 2 min recovery in around 33 seconds. Fairly stiff today after it especially from my long run on friday. I'm off today so heres a quick run down on this weeks training :D

Week 4 8th-14th of august:
    Mon: 40 minutes steady

Tues: Track session of 8x400m with 1:30 recovery in 71,73,72,73,73,72,72,72

Fri: Long run 8.3 miles in 67 mins

Sat: Track session of 12x200m with 2 min recovery in 33 seconds

Total mileage for this week adds up to around 25/26 miles! Overall im very pleased probably the best i felt in a long time.

Went for a nice steady 40 minutes today, felt great considering i was out last night. Absolutely beasted it! Ran almost 10k which is more than i expected. :D

Tuesday 16th: Track session of 4x200m and 4x150m with 3 minutes recovery. Times were 31,31,31,30 and 21,21,21,20.

I felt i could have done more but i was very stiff the next day.

Wednesday 17th: 4 miles easy.

Went out on the road for this one, i felt good but went i finished my legs were in bits. I was crippled after it i hate running on the road my legs are always soar afterwards.

Thursday 18th: Rest.

Went to the track today. Did 3x1000m with a 3 min recovery. Felt terrible they were very slow. 3.25 , 3:29 and 3:30. I reckon i wasn't warmed up enough either. Hate having bad days:mad:

I was suppose to do my long run today but i was gone for the most part and by the time i got back i was wrecked tired so i went for an easy 35 minutes instead. About 4.75 miles in total.

Week 15th-21st of August:
    Mon: 40 minutes steady

Tue: Track session of 4x200m and 4x150m with 3 mins recovery and 10 mins between sets in times of 31,31,31,30 and 21,21,21,20

Wed: 4 miles easy

Fri: Track session of 3x1000m with 3 mins recovery in 3:25,3:29 and 3:30

Sat: 35 mins easy

Overall i got about 24 miles done. The week started well and finished in a disaster. Didn't feel good at all.

Advertisement