Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 mag querie??

Options
  • 11-08-2011 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

hi lads i have a .22 magnumm and i was just wondering...... wouldnt it be great if you didnt have to go back to the targets to set the scope everytime you want to switch from a high velocity bullet to a hollow point bullet for example im using remington 33 gr. Accutip-v and the normal remington hollow points.... ive been wondering if you were using the accutip-v bullets and the scope is set for that bullet and you went along and wrote down the amount of clicks it takes to set the scope for remington hollow point at 100yds...... then every time you want to switch bullets you just turn the dial at the correct amount of clicks down because i cant imagine the bullet differinciating from left to right wen setting scope... the reason i would be changing is that i find hollow points the ultimate fox killer for .22 mags and the Accutip-v the long distance fox killer and it would be so so handy to know the clicks to change bullets therefore you can change in a matter of seconds :)
    bit hard to take in but if you can help please do so thanks Anto....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Anto... wrote: »
    hi lads i have a .22 magnumm and i was just wondering...... wouldnt it be great if you didnt have to go back to the targets to set the scope everytime you want to switch from a high velocity bullet to a hollow point bullet for example im using remington 33 gr. Accutip-v and the normal remington hollow points.... ive been wondering if you were using the accutip-v bullets and the scope is set for that bullet and you went along and wrote down the amount of clicks it takes to set the scope for remington hollow point at 100yds...... then every time you want to switch bullets you just turn the dial at the correct amount of clicks down because i cant imagine the bullet differinciating from left to right wen setting scope... the reason i would be changing is that i find hollow points the ultimate fox killer for .22 mags and the Accutip-v the long distance fox killer and it would be so so handy to know the clicks to change bullets therefore you can change in a matter of seconds :)
    bit hard to take in but if you can help please do so thanks Anto....

Yes it would be great... but I dont know anyone who has the ability to bend the laws of physics so were stuck with using clicks/mildot system :)

Quiet a few do this, Ive just put a new scope on my rifle so hoping to do the same this weekend so ill have a chart of surplus ammo/match ammo supressor on/suppressor off :)

GH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Anto...

Yes it would be great... but I dont know anyone who has the ability to bend the laws of physics so were stuck with using clicks/mildot system :)
    its a pity :rolleyes:

Quiet a few do this, Ive just put a new scope on my rifle so hoping to do the same this weekend so ill have a chart of surplus ammo/match ammo supressor on/suppressor off :)

GH

nice one will you let me know how you get on ghappy?? what sort gun have you?? and thanks for the quick post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

hi lads i have a .22 magnumm and i was just wondering...... wouldnt it be great if you didnt have to go back to the targets to set the scope everytime you want to switch from a high velocity bullet to a hollow point bullet for example im using remington 33 gr. Accutip-v and the normal remington hollow points.... ive been wondering if you were using the accutip-v bullets and the scope is set for that bullet and you went along and wrote down the amount of clicks it takes to set the scope for remington hollow point at 100yds...... then every time you want to switch bullets you just turn the dial at the correct amount of clicks down because i cant imagine the bullet differinciating from left to right wen setting scope...

it would be so so handy to know the clicks to change bullets therefore you can change in a matter of seconds

:confused::confused: or am I reading this wrong??

Maybe I'm missing something here? If you have your "zero's" / drop-charts for each type of ammo you're using - then switching from one to another should be as straightforward as you describe? Leastways, that's what I do.

OK, so the windage zero may be a little off, but negligably.

e.g. The scope on my CZ 452 .22lr does not have "zero-set" turrets, so I cannot set the turrets back to a 50- or 100-yard etc zero - However, for example, when I'm using Eley Sport at 50yards I know which value to turn the elevation turret to, when using Lapua CentreX at 100yards I turn the turret to that value, and when using Eley Hollow-point Subs at 75yards I turn the turret to the corresponding value, etc. etc.

These drops and settings are based on what "zero" figures I've worked out on the range/in the field for each individual type of ammo in that rifle which I may be using. Once you have those figures, it's straightforward to just input the value onto your scopes elevation turrets.

The change in windage for the .22 makes no real odds in my experience as there is negligible difference one way or another in windage-zero from one round to another.

(How each round behaves in the wind is another matter and that has to be "doped" each time anyway - but the windage-zero stays pretty much the same).

The same applies for my .308 - I have the rifle zero'd at 100yards for one particular set of ammo - the target turrets are zero-set at this particular 100yard zero. If I change from one type of ammo to another, I know how much to come up or down to a) Initially change my 100yard zero, and then b) Adjust for the new elevational drops.

Hope that makes some sense! Kinda hard to explain!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Have a look at a BSA sweet 22 or a sweet 17.
    http://www.bsaoptics.com/family.aspx?familyID=13&filter=%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Have a look at a BSA sweet 22 or a sweet 17.
    http://www.bsaoptics.com/family.aspx?familyID=13&filter=%

Or save yourself some cash and just take the time to work out all your drops for your various ammunitions!:D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ArseLtd

every time you want to switch bullets you just turn the dial at the correct amount of clicks down

That should work ...
    the reason i would be changing is that i find hollow points the ultimate fox killer for .22 mags and the Accutip-v the long distance fox killer and it would be so so handy to know the clicks to change bullets therefore you can change in a matter of seconds :)

I think it'l take longer than seconds though. For example you see a fox at 80 yards , lucky you've got the hollow points. But this fox is a bit shy and wanders away to 140 odd yards. Are you going to have time to take off scope caps, remember the clicks , put scope caps back on, switch magazines etc? I think you should stick to the accutip-v by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

dCorbus wrote: »
    Or save yourself some cash and just take the time to work out all your drops for your various ammunitions!:D;)

Have a look at this I use it for working out loads ranges and you can print stickers, I use a mil dot scope which is ahelp

http://www.hawkeoptics.com/

Advertisement