Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for breaking up a dog family- 6 weeks time.

• 11-08-2011 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hi,

My ex who has full custody of our, well his dog and our 2 pups(who will be 2 in Oct) is moving to NZ. We are currently trying to figure out options for them. They are currently in Monaghan while I'm in Dublin so me going up and down everyday would be impossible with my work shifts plus I'd be too tired to take them for their walks etc.

The mammy dog is had 6 pups, 4 of which we gave away 2 we kept and they are really like my children. They had to be hand rared so are very attached to me, sleep in the bed,excellent behavior,groom me etc

Anyways how do we go about separating them, we are hoping to keep pups together as they have never been alone and cry if one is away from the other for too long. Do we gradually remove them from each other or just cut them off from each other straight away if ya get me?

The whole thing is really starting to stress me out to be honest

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

SarahMs wrote: »
    Hi,

My ex who has full custody of our, well his dog and our 2 pups(who will be 2 in Oct) is moving to NZ. We are currently trying to figure out options for them. They are currently in Monaghan while I'm in Dublin so me going up and down everyday would be impossible with my work shifts plus I'd be too tired to take them for their walks etc.

The mammy dog is had 6 pups, 4 of which we gave away 2 we kept and they are really like my children. They had to be hand rared so are very attached to me, sleep in the bed,excellent behavior,groom me etc

Anyways how do we go about separating them, we are hoping to keep pups together as they have never been alone and cry if one is away from the other for too long. Do we gradually remove them from each other or just cut them off from each other straight away if ya get me?

The whole thing is really starting to stress me out to be honest

Can you not just move them to Dublin, to be with you?:confused:

I don't quite understand your post I'm afraid, do you have 3 dogs, and do you want to rehome all 3 of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭SarahMs

yes. because since breaking up with him, i have been back with my parents while looking for somewhere else. my parents already have 1 dog. and i doubt I can find anywhere to rent in my area for a reasonable price/find people willing to live with 3 dogs and it wouldn't be fair to have them in an apartment when they are used to field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

There are some landlords that accept pets.

I would be doing everything in my power to make sure i found a place that accepted pets if it was me. There are loads of places to rent at the mo, landlords cant fill houses as there are so many so unless you have exhausted all avenues regarding accomodation then i wouldnt be looking to rehome them just yet.

thanks for that.

I think to be honest re homing is my only optional, unless I find another job. They wouldn't be fit to be left house/garden/ apartment from 7am- 6pm everyday and then if I'm too tired to bring them for walks etc. They are used to so much freedom I'm not how they would cope. It's not fair on them.

We have found a farm willing to take the pups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I see that you live in Blanchardstown in Dublin, there is a brilliant doggy day care there, Dog Training Ireland, don't know how flush you are with money, whether your budget could stretch to that, so that you could even keep one of them?

All of the pounds and rescues are full, unfortunately a lot of it is due to people having to emigrate, so it will be difficult to rehome them. However, there is a rehoming thread on here, stick them up in it, with photos and as much info as possible. irishanimals.ie also have an excellent rehoming section, and pets ireland have another one. What breed are the dogs? Maybe someone could recommend a breed specific rescue or welfare organisation that may be able to help.

I don't think you will find anyone willing to take all three on, but you may be lucky enough to find someone that will take two together. Dogs are very resilient, they usually adapt very well to new homes and families.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭catch me if you can

please persevere with renting somewhere. I am a landlord and I never turn away a suitable tenant with a dog. once they say upfront they have a pet its fine. Its the people who pretend they have no dog and then one appears that are generally the problem.
    could you get a reference from your previous landlord stating you had three dogs but that the house and agrden were kept in great condition etc.
    if you cant get one forge one!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ryan84

it is not an easy decision to give up your animals. but you are right, moving them from the country to an apartment would not benefit them. I know there is no way that my dog would live in an apartment and needs a very large garden.

I dont have any experience with seperating animals who have been together maybe dog rescues would have done it before so you could ask a local one for advice on how best to do it.

good luck with rehoming them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I know you're in a hard situation OP but as others have said pounds and rescues are full to bursting, you just wouldn't believe the amount of dogs needing homes at the moment so if you could find a way of keeping them it'd be so much better for them.

The chances of them being rehomed as a group, or even in pairs is slim to be honest, most people want only 1 dog or to add 1 dog to a house with an existing dog. Private rehoming is the best chance of keeping them together but thats still a long shot. Give yourself plenty of time to find the right home, especially if you want them to go together, that will take quite a while

Thanks for replies :)

Advertisement