Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 story extension over garage to side of 3 bed semi - cost estimate (Dublin)?

Options
  • 11-08-2011 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,
    We have a three bed semi with garage to the side, built c.1960.

The idea we would like to consider is demolish the garage and build a two story extension (2 bedrooms on first floor with small ensuite in between) and extend the hipped roof correctly over it ie no flat roof, and convert the attic.
    Dimensions
    - ground floor, 2.5m by 6m (behind garage is recent ground floor utility room/kitchen extension, to be built over, so depth downstairs is less than the first floor build required)
    - first floor build, 2.5m by 9m
    - attic conversion

Looking for _ballpark_ idea of cost and duration of build - Dublin based - ideally from people who have recently done similar so I can figure out if it's feasible or not!

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ayeboy

Dunno if this helps but I've a semi detatched house and I'm having an extension built at the minute. Subfloor went down today. Total GFA 60m2. I got 4 quotes....3 were around 20k mark, one was 27. Listed below is everything include...render, plastering, plumbing windows etc is extra.

I'm based in Donegal. I've attached the plans so you can get an idea of what they priced for. Made a few slight changes to them. Extension to the front living room isnt happening. And builder has put steel between the upper landing and the hotpress (at no extra cost) so the hotpress and ensuite can be a wee bit bigger.

Hope this helps in someway. You are probably best getting someone to do the plans up for and getting a few quotes or maybe you should just chat to a local builder and tell him what you want and get a rough idea of a price of him

Included:
    Site clearance
    Excavation
    Foundation
    Rerouting of pipes /Services
    Blocks Insulation Cills Lintols
    Block Work
    75mm Kingspan Wall Insulation

Subfloor inc steps as drawing
    80mm Insulation in subfloor
    Joisting [/SIZE]
    Ply wood floor
    Studding excl plasterboard

Roof Material and Labour
    Velux Window and light tunnel
    Door Frames
    PVC facia and gutters to extension
    Demolition of unused walls
    Scaffolding
    Steel supports
    Blocking up existing doors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rexel100

Thanks ayeboy - helpful, appreciate you sharing the plans. Think you did very well...

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

Rexel - I something similar completed in April this year - Dublin 7. 2 Stories to the side and a huge back extension. Now I also the entire house gutted and renovated so its hard to pick out just the side stuff but I reckon 40k would cover it. I've high spec everything , eg 300mm floor insulation, UFH, 3G windows, oak floors, etc. Can PM you builders details if you like? For the attic as well, you could probably add another 5k. It'll all be opened up anyway so makes complete sense to get it done at the same time.

We just didn't have the pitch/height to do this. I've a truely massive room up there that would be great for a family of hobbits!!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rexel100

Thanks for the reply Whelzer. If you could PM builder details that would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 clarsax

whelzer, could you pm me builders details and any info please? i have a house in D 7 and looking to do quite a large extension and internal refit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shutterhand

I can PM you details for guys, they'll give you the best offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭dubmark74

whelzer wrote: »
    Rexel - I something similar completed in April this year - Dublin 7. 2 Stories to the side and a huge back extension. Now I also the entire house gutted and renovated so its hard to pick out just the side stuff but I reckon 40k would cover it. I've high spec everything , eg 300mm floor insulation, UFH, 3G windows, oak floors, etc. Can PM you builders details if you like? For the attic as well, you could probably add another 5k. It'll all be opened up anyway so makes complete sense to get it done at the same time.

We just didn't have the pitch/height to do this. I've a truely massive room up there that would be great for a family of hobbits!!:pac:

Thats seems very cheap, i'm thinking of doing soemthing similar, did you have to pay an architect also, could you PM me the builder, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭WhisperingDeath

Originally Posted by whelzer viewpost.gif

We just didn't have the pitch/height to do this. I've a truely massive room up there that would be great for a family of hobbits!!pacman.gif

Hi Whelzer,

I'm particularly interested - as I'm looking at a similar project -- large two storey extension to the side, single storey extension to the rear, a refurb of the interior and a budget permitting attic conversion. I'd be intersted in seeing the breakdown of your costs and any other detil on the buider's quotes.

Also in north dublin city area

Happily all my in laws are hobbit sized which only makes your description resonate even louder with me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pinkpal

WHELZER could u please send me those builders details when u get a chance , they sound very reasonable
    Thank yoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 codublin

Hi,

Could you reply with builder details.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

PM'd you guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 codublin

Hi Whezler,

Sorry I never got your PM. Just say the boards in Dec 2011.
    I have a similar project planned to yours.
    Side extension 90m2 2 storey, rear ground ext 50m2 and attic ext. Also revamp of original part of house.

How much did it cost you in the end for your job.

Cheers
    codublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Patmc15

Hi WHELZER could u also send me those builders details when u get a chance .

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 littleboots

Hi Whelzer

Could you please pm the builder details to me?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Peppa

Hi Whelzer

Could you please pm the builder details to me? Also did you use an architect and if so could you please pm me if you would recommend them or not.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 HOPE100

Hi Whelzer

Could you please pm the builder details to me?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

This thread died a long time ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement