Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTU phone socket question

Options
  • 11-08-2011 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

I've been plauged by a bad connection to my vodafone bb and only able to get an ancient zyxel 660HW-61 to connect at all its unstable. After trying 2 other makes i now think that the VF techs may possibly correct and it could be an internal wiring issue
    I had up to today thought that the Master Socket was under the stairs that the router was connected to but am after clearing the garage and finding the Eircom NTU socket in there. I thought all my problems were solved so i plugged my router in there but the socket seems to be dead. I checked outside an it is right beside the external access point to the phone line coming into the house.

Attached are 2 photos of the current wiring of the NTU. What do i need to do to make this socket live? it seems the extension line connection for the rest of the house is wired up ( used this thread for reference) if i can make the NTU socket itself live is a good chance i'll get a better connection? i'd leave the router there and use homeplugs\extenders to cover the rest of the house if so.
    It it a bit strange that the NTU isnt working but the extesions are?

thnx!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

Put a multimeter on what you think is the incoming pair. You shud get 52v.if not then it's not the incoming line....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

looks like the NTU socket itself is nackered. All the extensions around the house are dead now too but getting 55v accross the L1,L2 lines coming in.
    Stuck a bog standard socket in its place an have a drastically improved connection now. Will have to get them to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Extensions around the house will not work when the cover is off the ntu.
    If you see an eircom guy on the road get him to test it for you, all he does is dial a number and it runs a few tests on the line for you. Or vf may do this
    Let you know if you have a fault in the house and the quality of the line to the house

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

yeah figured noting would work with the cover off. With it on the extension sockets and the phone port on the NTU itself dont work. The extensions used to work but not the socket on the NTU itself. Now the extensions are gone too.
    Vf had insisted before that the line to the house was fine when they were running test.

One question about the extension cabling. There are 2 sets of wires for what must be two seperate loops of extensions? Both use the white wire for L1 an the orangie-brown wire for L2. Is this correct, should they alternate white and orangie-brown or does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

It just depends on what colours where used to connect up everything.
    To rule out a problem I would disconnect everything, put the main line into the main L1 L2 on the front of the socket then test your modem.
    It you still have a problem it is the line coming into the house, if not connect the extension cables one at a time to see which one is dragging it down.
    If you do find a problem after connecting 1 at a time, change the colours used in the cable and socket point it is going to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement