Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC compatible router

Options
  • 11-08-2011 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi all, and before I begin sorry for another thread on this topic, but I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for in other threads.

First off, I'm after signing up for UPC 12Mb broadband and decided not to get the router from UPC after reading threads here on boards. They are sending out a modem to me. I was wondering what type of wireless router do I need to work with UPC broadband?

I currently have a Thomson tg585v7 router, can that be used with the modem UPC send out to me to get wireless in the house?

If I can't use that, can someone recommend a relatively cheap router that will be compatible with UPC broadband (I've seen a few recommendations on other threads)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

been using this for a few years on upc, no problems at all.

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE1136421

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭NewDirection

Thanks for the recommendation, but what makes this router compatible with UPC broadband, as opposed to my existing router?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I have upc broadband and use a belkin n150 router. All my devices connected fine, phone, laptop, ipod and wii, even at the same time. However about 6 months ago my missus changed her phone to a samsung galaxy s, and she is having nothing but problems connecting. It will connect to other routers no problem, but with our own one it's completely hit and miss, somedays it works fine, other days not at all! Plus, to make it stranger, i have the original samsung galaxy and that has always worked perfectly.
    But apart from that the router works great!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Thanks for the recommendation, but what makes this router compatible with UPC broadband, as opposed to my existing router?

A quick google search reveals that your current model is a del modem/router

http://www.technicolorbroadbandpartner.com/dsl-modems-gateways/products/product-detail.php?id=161

Usually those models are not suitable for use with cable bb as they have an integrated modem for use with del bb (i.e. the eircom type).

Advertisement