Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voltage Question

Options
  • 11-08-2011 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭

Hi folks - just want to ask a simple question regarding the i7 2600k sandybridge. I have been experimenting with this processor for the last month. just to see what it can do on stock cooling.

Temps are not of a major concern really.

3.4ghz full load 61c average (prime95) 15min - short burst test only
    4.3ghz full load 82c average (prime95) 15min - short burst test only

If i want to overclock it peramently i will get a proper cooler but the voltage is a threshold im not sure about.

The intel site has no info regarding this processor and its max safe voltage. OC sites have had differing answers. At 4.3ghz it hit 1.284v (vcore). Does anyone know what the max safe voltage is for the i7 second gen 2600k whilst ensuring the longevity of the chip itself?

Im new to OC for the most part - these i7 k versions are my first interest in OC. I know they differ from the standard OC of Base Frequencies and instead focusing on changing the turbo step speeds if I am correct.

Any advice in regards to the voltage or any OC advice you may have please feel free to share :) Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Anyone have any experience with the 2600k and voltage safety limits?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

best bet is to look up a guide with your mobo and i7 together. that said, i think 1.28v is low so happy days. have you tried dropping the voltages lower?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    best bet is to look up a guide with your mobo and i7 together. that said, i think 1.28v is low so happy days. have you tried dropping the voltages lower?

Nope ive not adjusted the voltages as of yet. Since Im not sure of the safety threshold I still wanted to see how far i could push it before having to tinker with the voltage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 plaguemarine 11

Im not on a intel processor but a AMdD1055t i was getting 58c @ 3.5 ghz oc at the stock volt of 1.3 i just kept dropping it and the running prime till i got the most stable lowest volt and there for temp combo . Now i have it at 54c at full load after 20 mins on prime.

Advertisement