Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legs Not Extending Fully When Cycling

• 11-08-2011 7:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,724 ✭✭✭✭

I did my first 30k cycle today, and it felt as if my legs almost weren't extending far enough when I was pedaling. This put a lot of tension and pressure on my knees.

I'm just under 6 foot, with an inseam of around 32". My frame is 56cm.

Would heightening the saddle solve this problem? Or is it simply a case that my frame is too small?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

chances are that your saddle is too low.

you could try raising it a bit, but your legs should never be fully extended just bear that in mind.

based on your inseam measure you gave your saddle should be in the 70.6cm range from Bottom bracket to top of the saddle.

Try that and see does it reduce your problems.

Even if the frame is too small you can vary the height of seat post/saddle to handlebar and height of handlebar so you will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Maybe your cranks are too short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,724 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Lumen wrote: »
    Maybe your cranks are too short.

I've measured my inside leg and it seems to match my recommended crank length.

I've raised the saddle to around 71cm, and it already feels better on a spin down the road. Cheers for the advice lads :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

My measurements are very similar to yours and I find 75cm from the centre of the bottom bracket to the top of my saddle works well for me! Obviously the length of your cranks will effect this! A good starting point is to have your leg fully extended when your heel is flat on the pedal - then when you move your foot to it's proper position there should be roughly the right amount of bend in your knee!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

This is the way I determine saddle height!

Adjust your saddle to a height such that when you sit on the saddle and place your HEEL on the pedal, your leg is very close to fully extended. Then, when you put the ball of your foot on the pedals (or clip in if you have clipless pedals), you should have the correct bend in your knee, around 25 to 35 degrees. You can make small adjustments then as this is just a starting point, it's not perfect for everybody - it works well for me though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

I got a bike fit in the LBS when I bought my newest bike, a "proper" fit service with me on the turbo in cycling gear. I was pleased with the initial fit but as I increased my milage or tried to beat myself to work I started to get some pain / discomfort. I found the following site:
    http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bikefit.html

I used his logic/methods and now have a much more comfortable position and it feels as if every bit of effort goes into moving me forward. I did have the turbo at home and used the webcam to capture myself, that did make it easier.
    Having said (all) that I think I need to change my seat post for one with a bit more setback as I'm right on the front of the rails and the rear of the saddle has a bit of "bounce" which is disquieting.
    I also think that if I were to buy again (which I'm not) I might have gone for the next size up. I got a 56cm frame as I was right on the edge of 56/58. went with the maxim about making a small bike bigger, can't make a big bike smaller. The only real concern I have is with my seat back, and my stem flipped I would have gotten away with the longer toptube and the increased stack would allow me to keep the stem flat and lose some spacers, and we know how good that looks.

Anyway...JimLangley site above.

Bertie

Advertisement