Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

doing a year of phd in another college?

Options
  • 11-08-2011 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, I'm wondering if its allowed (or even common) to do a year of your phd in another college and take modules there? For example, would it be possible to go through a 1 year masters but not get the MA title at the end, and just do it as part of your phd?

Also, could you do it in a college outside of Ireland in an exchange-like program?

I can't find much information on phds (I keep reading that no two phds are the same) so advice/info is appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnG18

One of the PhD students I was working with this summer did the first year of his PhD in NUIM then the rest in ITT Dublin but I think this was due to both colleges financing the research

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I know it's pretty common to spend a couple of months at another university, maybe with some other experts in the area or just doing work on projects there that will inform your own work... i suppose it depends on the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

It depends really. I don't know much about MA's (or what they are likely to lead to in terms of a PhD) so I can't comment on that specifically. In terms of incorporating a masters into a PhD, it depends on the masters - if it is a taught masters, then it's unlikely, but research masters often lead into PhD studies. At the end of the day, the PhD "tag" is essentially endorsing you as a competent researcher - there is no set time or path taken to obtain it.

I do know at least two people who did their PhD's in two different institutions. In both cases this was due to the fact that the projects were collaborations between researchers in the different institutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rails

Thanks for the information guys! I was in a taught MA in UCD and phd students audited some of our modules (two modules that were relevant to their research) however they were from within the department - don't know how my supervisor would react to the idea of a whole year in another college.

Advertisement