Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new league of extraordinary gentlemen volume

Options
  • 11-08-2011 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

It is set in the 60's, and follows on from the 1910 one (or whatever it was). I loved the first two stories, but was disappointed with the first part of this one, and the less said about the black dossier the better really. Has anyone read the new one? What did you think?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Yep, I picked up my copy a few weeks back and then got both 1910 and 1969 signed by Moore & O'Neill :)

I do understand the frustration with the changes that came about with the Black Dossier - the desire to include a variety of storytelling techniques and expand the focus of the cultural history on which the stories draw for their settings, characters and structure do make everything after the second volume a bit more challenging to read, and it's a lot easier to feel that you're missing a lot of important details along the way.

Personally I like the denser storytelling and mixture of narrative approaches, but I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea. If you didn't like 1910 you probably wouldn't find 1969 much better, as it's very much a thematic sequel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

oh wow awesome that you got them signed. Was it in Ireland? I saw that Kevin O'Neill was going to be in Forbidden Planet in Dublin recently, but I didn't see anything about Alan Moore being around.

[edit: ah I see mod:London, so I guess it wasn't in Ireland then...]

Honestly I dont remember the black dossier much. All I remember about 1910 was that the plot was too similar to something I had read or seen recently at the time and was about revenge I think. Just seemed too conventional a plot or something.

What do you mean by the new one being a thematic sequel? That it is also about revenge?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Yeah, the signing I mentioned was in London at my local comic shop :)

1910, 1969 and 2010 are effectively three parts of an overall story, so there are elements that carry on from 1910 through 1969 - for example, in 1910 the League are trying to stop an Aleister Crowley analogue from trying to bring about something along the lines of the antichrist's birth (I forget, I haven't read it in a while), and in 1969 we see a subsequent attempt at the same thing by the same group using a different approach.

Meanwhile the various central characters are all still struggling with the question of how to keep up with an ever-changing world as they get older and older (but can, due to their various backgrounds, still appear youthful).

One of the things I'm really liking about it is that it deals with the idea of adventurer's legacies and how those adventurers fit into the world around them in a much more interesting way than most superhero comics are able to do, because the League doesn't have the genre or shared-world limitations that most superhero comics do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Read the Century 1910 last night. Was brilliant, but not really as good as Vol I and II. I hadn't ever heard of Orlando and the two other guys before. Are they that famous? The characters definitely seem a bit more obscure than previously.

Anyone any idea when 2010 will be out? its not going to be another 2 year wait is it..

Advertisement