Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Career Break Pay

• 11-08-2011 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi all,

Just wondering how is pay worked if your taking over someone else's hours while they are on a career break? Is it similar to a maternity leave (paid per hour and not paid during holidays)?

THanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

its usually a years contract proper as career break is usually sept to aug. However depends on each individual case.
    Remember paid by the hour as in maternity is better pay to make up for no hols pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 glitz2011

thanks,I know that alright,just wondering are u paid every single fortnight like the teacher I'm taking over from, or will it be like subs in that I won't get paid for mid-terms, Christmas holidays, summer etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

If it's a year's contract, you will get paid in the same way as your regular contract and permanent colleagues - every fortnight in the voluntary and community schools, twice a month in the VEC sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 glitz2011

Thank you deemark,appreciate it!
    So my dilemma is this: have just been offered a career break,12 month contract, 22 hours. however, I have already accepted a 22 hour maternity leave from September until approx April (maybe longer.)

IMHO, the school with the maternity leave is slightly preferrable: more modern and better extra curricular activities etc.

Which would ye pick???

Thanks all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

A secure job for 12 months and pay for the summer, with the prospect of it extending to another year or 2, or at least putting you in a good position for searching for more long term work V looking for work again next April, no pay for the summer, no sick leave entitlement... it's a no brainer for me!!!

Why would better extra curricular activities entice you into a school?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

The teacher on career break may not come back, the woman on maternity almost certainly will. You'll have a full-year contract with 12 month's pay, which is not the case with the maternity.

Are either of the schools VEC ones? If so, you can use this year to start clocking up years for a CID, if you got a job in another VEC school next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

glitz2011 wrote: »
    Thank you deemark,appreciate it!
    So my dilemma is this: have just been offered a career break,12 month contract, 22 hours. however, I have already accepted a 22 hour maternity leave from September until approx April (maybe longer.)

IMHO, the school with the maternity leave is slightly preferrable: more modern and better extra curricular activities etc.

Which would ye pick???

Thanks all!

Just to echo the other posts, 12 month contract on full hours v. maternity leave with no summer pay and 6-8 weeks at the end of school year where you will be looking for work again. There's no contest really.

Not sure what you mean about better extra curricular activities. If it's a case that the maternity leave school have some activity in place that you want to get involved in and the other school doesn't, well you can always volunteer to establish it, if you are so inclined.

Facilities would be way down my list of requirements looking for a teaching job at present. Actually they wouldn't feature at all. I'm in a school which was built less than 10 years ago for the amalgamation of three schools in the town I teach in. Prior to the amalgamation I worked in one of the schools for a year. My 'science lab' if you could call it that had no gas, no running water and no electricity (except for lighting). If I wanted to do a simple experiment which needed water I had to send a student to the toilets to fill up beakers, but hey I survived. Doubt there is anywhere left like that now, but you make do with what you have and become resourceful.

When the new school opened, we had no desks for half the students for the first month or so, so they had to sit on the ground for lessons. I had no whiteboard in my room, and my classes are generally weak so I couldn't dictate notes to them (ag science) so I taped a load of fertilizer, cattle feed bags to the walls and wrote my notes on them. Might sound daft but it worked!

Advertisement