Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprenticeships as electrician

Options
  • 11-08-2011 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

So I've been offered a apprenticeship as a electrician and need to no should I do it. The plan would be to it while waiting for the guards. I am very unsure weather to it and if there is jobs for electricians etc.

Also if anybody no's the pay of an apprentice including year one if NOT going trough FAS.

Cheers
    Nathan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

all apprentices go through FAS so not sure I follow.

If you arent registered with FAS you aren't an apprentice,you are a low paid general operative being exploited by working for below minimum wage.

that said,there are a very large amount of existing sparks and apprentice sparks in this country already,far more than we need.if the job was with someone like the ESB where you are guaranteed enough work to get you qualified I'd take it.if you plan on leaving as soon as the call for the guards come up then its no harm taking it either,so long as you are registered with FAS and arent working for nothing effectively,just in case the call for the guards never comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭nathancool

superg wrote: »
    all apprentices go through FAS so not sure I follow.

If you arent registered with FAS you aren't an apprentice,you are a low paid general operative being exploited by working for below minimum wage.

I'm not working yet so this very well may be the case. I did think that it goes trough fas but wasn't sure. Do you no if you get paid from day one etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

All electrical apprentices have to go through FAS otherwise your wasting your time you will never have papers to prove your qualifications etc.
    Dont start an apprenticeship without them agreeing to register you for FAS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

nathancool wrote: »
    I'm not working yet so this very well may be the case. I did think that it goes trough fas but wasn't sure. Do you no if you get paid from day one etc.

you will absolutely get paid from day one.rates are on the FAS website.

Fas rules are that your employer should register you with FAS from day 1.

in reality this never happens,you will work a trial period ranging from 3 months up to a year in some cases,after which they will register you.be very careful in this regard as fas will not recognise time spent unregistered when adding up the time served part of your apprenticeship.Keep at your employer to register you and ring services to business in the training centre nearest to your companys base and tell them yourself that you have started an apprenticeship.

I'm 5 months short of qualifying myself having completed all 7 phases yet FAS wont recognise my 3 month trial to help me on my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JuniorSpark91

Mod snip.
    Please read the forum charter.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement