Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iphone with internet

• 11-08-2011 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

if i get the mobile internet on my iphone is there way i can use it to put it on my laptop from the phone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

In short yes,

but AFAIK three are the only provider that don't charge extra for this, I do know with Vodafone you have to buy an addon to use it without incuring a massive charge per mb

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

I can confirm that meteor do not charge for this.

I asked a member of staff in their shop if they charged and was told no. That was about 7 or 8 months ago and I have been happily tethering since then.

OP: If you want to use your iPhone's internet connection for your laptop the easiest way to do it is to connect the iPhone to the laptop with the usb cable you use for putting on music, etc. Then go into settings, then personal hotspot and set it to on, select 'USB only'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

thanks for the replies. My apple sync cable isnt working so i havent had a chance to set up properly.

However i phoned o2 and they said it only works on bill pay. Would that be right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭terrlobe

Bob Z wrote: »
    thanks for the replies. My apple sync cable isnt working so i havent had a chance to set up properly.

However i phoned o2 and they said it only works on bill pay. Would that be right?
    I am on prepay and tether using an iphone app called "pdanet" to create a wifi network which allows any wifi enabled device access the web.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

O2 charge for tethering whether you are bill pay or pre pay. You can use a jb app to tether usin the mobile data apn but there is still data charges for that. It's 99c per day for upto 50mb or you can get an addon for €10 for 700mb or 30 days, whichever comes first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Jailbreak and purchase MiWi from the Cydia app store, uses the same APN as your phone does so there are no extra data tethering charges once you stay within you phones data plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

If you want to tether a lot then 3 offer all you can eat data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

guil wrote: »
    O2 charge for tethering whether you are bill pay or pre pay. You can use a jb app to tether usin the mobile data apn but there is still data charges for that. It's 99c per day for upto 50mb or you can get an addon for €10 for 700mb or 30 days, whichever comes first

I often tether on my O2 bill pay iPhone and have never got charged extra.:confused:
    I have a data add on if that makes any difference?

yes they allow tethering if you have a data add on but charge for it on most plans otherwise

yes they allow tethering if you have a data add on but charge for it on most plans otherwise

What exactly is a data add on?

• Advertisement

Bob Z wrote: »

What exactly is a data add on?
    You buy x amount of data for x amount of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭curly.bert

O2 charge for tethering whether you are bill pay or pre pay.

I am an O2 bill-pay customer and don't pay for tethering - never have. It's always been enabled on my iPhone. AFAIK Meteor don't charge extra for this either. Don't know about Vodafone or 3.

OP - if you have an iPhone 3GS or 4, check to see if the Personal Hotspot feature is enabled. For more info, check out this support page. This doesn't involve Jailbreaking and is very easy to set up.

I'm not sure which plans they don't charge for tethering on. Is your data allowance 2gb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

hey guys i bought an unlocked iphone
    trying to connect to the internet and i keep getting the message could not activate celluar data network
    and that im not subscribed........

meteor sent me codes and stuff but it still doesnt work

anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

I'm not sure which plans they don't charge for tethering on. Is your data allowance 2gb
    I am on the 60 euro a month 2 gig data and tether , never been charged

yeah thats one of the older ones, i was on it at 1 stage aswell, the 3gb and 1gb plans dont include tethering though, look back at the o2 forum for all the whinging threads about being charged for tethering after o2 enabled it through the carrier file

I pay 40/month with a 2GB d/load limit. Tethering/hotspot has always been enabled - even back when I was the old 1GB plan with an iPhone 3G.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

curly.bert wrote: »
    I pay 40/month with a 2GB d/load limit. Tethering/hotspot has always been enabled - even back when I was the old 1GB plan with an iPhone 3G.

You must have been lucky...this is the first forum I found thrashing O2 for their policy on tethering...

O2 tethering

That's mad Ted! It's gas - I can count 5 friends who have tethering/hotspot enabled on their iPhones and none have been charged extra for it.

(All on O2 postpay bills). Is there any clarity as to the situation today? Did the OP get hotspot enabled?

Victor_M wrote: »
    Jailbreak and purchase MiWi from the Cydia app store, uses the same APN as your phone does so there are no extra data tethering charges once you stay within you phones data plan.

Will this work even if o2 dont allow tethering?

• Advertisement
Advertisement