Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinea Pig Owners

• 11-08-2011 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi

Im just wondering are there any other guinea pig owners out there? Ever since i got my piggy over a year ago he has turned into my baby and is spoilt rotten.

He is just too cute I cant resist his little face and his squeaks when he gets excited. Most people think im crazy and cant understand why i spend so much money on the little "rat" making sure he is comfortable and has all he could possibly need!

Am I going over board or does anyone else agree that they are the cutest affectionate little pets around :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

They are great craic! esp when they get dandelions.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Mine goes mental for a bit of parsley or lettuce does be great craic alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Yep, got 14 little munchers. Love them! They're all so unique and full of fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Guinea pigs are the best. Have taken in many and found homes for them over the years and had some of my own as well. They're even better when housed in a group (or pair of boys) they are so nice to watch.
    Of all the things they've had over the years their favourite was always fresh grass they went nuts for it little lawnmowers.

Vojera wrote: »
    Yep, got 14 little munchers. Love them! They're all so unique and full of fun.

14 wow! that must get noisy at dinner time :) mine goes mad the minute he hears the rustling of a lettuce bag or his veggies being chopped! :)

• Advertisement

14 wow! that must get noisy at dinner time :) mine goes mad the minute he hears the rustling of a lettuce bag or his veggies being chopped! :)

Yep, it can get pretty manic! I've learned not to bother even trying to have my dinner if they piggies haven't had their evening veggies, they just wheek too loud! But the (relative) silence of happy piggy munching that follows is one of my favourite sounds. Bit sad, I know, but it means a lot knowing that some of the piggies I have came from being half-starved, lice-ridden and terrified of humans to being boisterous and wheeking for their veg as loud as all the other pigs we have. They're such happy little creatures at heart. All they want is food, water and somewhere nice to play and they're content :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Wouldn't go mad on the lettuce (obviously never feed iceberg lettuce) it's full of water cabbage or cauliflower or broc. would be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Mine love their peppers and are so funny, they'll eat them in colour order every time red green yellow lol

Wouldn't go mad on the lettuce (obviously never feed iceberg lettuce) it's full of water cabbage or cauliflower or broc. would be better.

Thanks :)...yea I would never feed iceberg lettuce...the butterhead is absolutly fine. He also gets carrots brocolli cucumber parsley baby corn and strawberrys in moderation as they are quite acidic and sugary...he gets a small bowl of these mixed twice a day and of course his leafy greens lettuce and spinach as treats everyday :)

piperh wrote: »
    Mine love their peppers and are so funny, they'll eat them in colour order every time red green yellow lol

Thats so funny :D ...mine eats in order too...he always eats the same things in the same order each time...they love their routines :) he has a break inbetween his veggies and will nibble on some cardboard...he does this every single dinner time!

• Advertisement

Vojera wrote: »
    Yep, it can get pretty manic! I've learned not to bother even trying to have my dinner if they piggies haven't had their evening veggies, they just wheek too loud! But the (relative) silence of happy piggy munching that follows is one of my favourite sounds. Bit sad, I know, but it means a lot knowing that some of the piggies I have came from being half-starved, lice-ridden and terrified of humans to being boisterous and wheeking for their veg as loud as all the other pigs we have. They're such happy little creatures at heart. All they want is food, water and somewhere nice to play and they're content :)

Im so glad there are people like you out there who take in such mistreated piggies....it breaks me heart to think of them in bad condition :( They are such adorable precious animals. If I had the space and money I would have as many as i could handle! I am in the process of looking for a friend for my piggy Charlie though I know it can be tricky matching up boars so I am doing as much research as possible to make sure I find him a mate he can get along with :)

Im so glad there are people like you out there who take in such mistreated piggies....it breaks me heart to think of them in bad condition :( They are such adorable precious animals. If I had the space and money I would have as many as i could handle! I am in the process of looking for a friend for my piggy Charlie though I know it can be tricky matching up boars so I am doing as much research as possible to make sure I find him a mate he can get along with :)

I only have a small number of rescues, I'm no amazing piggy-saint! But I do have a little bit of extra love for those ones :)

I'm the same as yourself, I'd love to run a full-time piggy rescue but time, space and money don't allow for it. Maybe if I win the lotto...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I had a guinea pig until he died of old age :( He was great! He’d attempt to eat absolutely anything that was in front of him… clothes, edge of a table, a finger :P

I’ve a pet parakeet too, and it was always a contest between them to see who would get fed first in the morning!! The noises out of them…

That must have gotten noisy alright! I love the squeaking when its dinner time its soo cute :D Mines the same...he was a terror for eating carpet when I first got him and when u sit down he comes running over to nibble on your shoes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

hehe yeah they're complete gluttons :) So cute though, the squeaks and the way my guy would waddle around looking for anything vaguely edible :P Always had to keep an eye on him when he was out though... he liked the look of electrical wires :rolleyes:

They're the funniest little things id have loads if i had he space :) mines bitten through so many pairs of earfones its so funny he will eat anything lying around but is extremely fussy when it comes to his veggies!

I've always thought the way to a piggy's heard was through his tummy. Pigs will give a go to nearly anything. I love that they have so many different noises to talk to each other and seeing them interact with each other. They're so entertaining.

I could sit and watch mine all evening...their noises just make them so adorable....and your right a way to their heart is definitly through their belly lol ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

I am looking to have a Guinea Pig rehomed. I live in Kildare. Will give cage etc. Anyone intereasted. I would say he's about 2 years old.

Advertisement