Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lock smith advice pls - have key. removed cylinder. door still wont open -what to do?

• 11-08-2011 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Locked out of apt.

I can lock/unlock the door with the key but Im unable to get it to open the door.

Key used to work and open door by twisting (no handle on outside) but it no longer does this. We tried with two keys.

Pls see pics attachced - I think the part that wont open is called the "latch bolt" Pic attahced isnt exactly like the lock. Cylinder pic is very similar.

Have extensive tool kit.

From the outside:
    Have removed barrel by drilling it out.
    There is no handle from the outside to open the door. There is one on the inside.

what tools / method is needed to open this?

I dont want to call a lock smith. I want to do it myself. No great rush to get in as the folks live across the road.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Am I right in saying that the handle inside the door will open it no problem unless you have fully engaged the lock bolt by turning the key 3 or 4 times?

If it is then I can guess that either one of two parts has failed. In the second picture the round black bit is what is used to open the latch bolt if turned one way and lock the door fully if turned the other. So either the black bit has failed or the bit connected to the latch bolt has failed.

There are two different ways of sorting it based on how much you can do with the key?

/EDIT just reread your post and since you can lock it, then the handle if turned from the inside would work. I have a fix which saved me before which may help you. I'll send it via PM so as not to have it in the open forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

delly wrote: »
    /EDIT just reread your post and since you can lock it, then the handle if turned from the inside would work. I have a fix which saved me before which may help you. I'll send it via PM so as not to have it in the open forum.

Hi delly,

Locked out of apt. I can lock/unlock the door with the key but Im unable to get it to open the door. Key used to work and open door by twisting (no handle on outside) but it no longer does this. We tried with two keys.

Could you PM me your fix too. Thanks!

Mr B. Urglar

:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Doh, I didn't even read how you signed that and sent you a PM. Fail on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Got a lock smith in the end as it was too difficult a job.

Thanks for all the suggestions anyway .......

Advertisement