Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are we being ripped off

Options
  • 11-08-2011 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Probably the wrong place to ask this, but I have noticed that in the UK, customers get a hell of a lot more texts and minutes for similar price plans than we do here on the same networks, VAT and tax rate differences aside, why do we get so much less for our money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

there are many reasons. for one, it's hugely bigger market - compare populations. then there's higher wages, rent etc. basically the cost of doing business is higher in ireland.

also you might want to note that it's not all great over here in the uk, my data limit is 500mb whereas on meteor back home i was getting 2gb for the same money. also mobile bb over here is stupidly expensive e.g. 7gb for £25 payg is the best i could get (thank fook i'm not paying that anymore!) - at home, 7.5gb for €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

xz wrote: »
    Probably the wrong place to ask this, but I have noticed that in the UK, customers get a hell of a lot more texts and minutes for similar price plans than we do here on the same networks, VAT and tax rate differences aside, why do we get so much less for our money?

Three's new prepay plan is fairly competitive, even by international standards. All you can eat data, free texts to any network, free calls to 3 all the time, free calls to any network at the weekend all for 20 quid a month. Can't say much fairer than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I think my current bill pay monthly plan is very competitive. I get 250mins 200sms (350 flex units), 3000mins 3 to 3 calls, unlimited landline calls any time of the day, 15GB data per month, BlackBerry internet service and free inclusive roaming in northern Ireland, UK, Australia and 5 other countries all for 30 euro per month, no contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

This post has been deleted.

I don't believe any of that tbh. Most of these company's are vast global business. Thats their economy of scale. Regardless of their segregation at the country level. What really nails that idea in the head for me is that Ireland is one of the most profitable countries in the world for these companies.

That said over the last year or two prices seem to have fallen a lot. It possible now to get good value, and spend as little or as much as you like. A lot of people I know spend less than a 5 a month on calls. But still use their phones a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I think my current bill pay monthly plan is very competitive. I get 250mins 200sms (350 flex units), 3000mins 3 to 3 calls, unlimited landline calls any time of the day, 15GB data per month, BlackBerry internet service and free inclusive roaming in northern Ireland, UK, Australia and 5 other countries all for 30 euro per month, no contract.

That is unbelievably good for Ireland. Are there any catches with the contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I dont know of any catches at all but you should get a free pre pay sim and test the signal where you live work and play before moving to them. You cant get a free pre pay sime from any of their stores or online at www.three.ie
    You cant get a phone from three with this plan, you have to use your own phone. The same plan with a cheap or free phone from three (on a contract for 12, 18 or 24months depending on phone discount) is 40 euro per month

Advertisement