Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firewood Logs

Options
  • 11-08-2011 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭

Hope mods don't mind if I ask, if so please remove.

I am looking to get a good load of firewood in next month that will get the house through the winter. I had turf last year but would prefer wood this year. Am looking to get a trailerload delivered and willing to pay around €100-€125 if possible. I dunno if I'd get away with that???

Maybe some people here have a contact for a person who does this and have gotten it themselves? Buncrana area if that makes any difference.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

We get a pickup truck load of logs(I think) for €145 at work. Will find out the guy's number next time I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

You're hoping that €125 of logs will see you through the winter?

Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Pique wrote: »

Good luck with that.

Cheers.

Excellent contribution considering you don't even know how often the fire is even on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

theboss80 wrote: »
    Pique wrote: »

Good luck with that.

Cheers.

Excellent contribution considering you don't even know how often the fire is even on.
    Why thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

No matter how often you light the fire , - € 125 cannot possibly keep you warm for a winter .

donedeal is normally good for loads of firewood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭creaghadoos

i have just finished cutting and splitting about 8 ton of wood, and looking at it i don't think i have enough for the winter.
    a rough guess is that a shop bought bag of logs will last about 4-5 hours, less if you are heating water and have a good draught running.

so if anyone has a couple of old trees they want taking away, pm me
    i don't expect to many offers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

OP - Forget whoever's critising the amount you'd like for the winter...as you mentioned, no one here has any idea if you're depending on the fire to heat your house & water, or if you're only using it in a sitting room for ambience.

If you have Coilte land anywhere nearby, contact the local rep for your area (we found ours on the Coilte website). Ask them if you can buy logs from them. We've found that we can buy an entire lorry load (one of the *big* lorries) for €900. If you have other families who're willing to split the load with you it'd work out quite cheaply. They were also willing to sell 1/3 loads for €300.

Of course, it'd be up to you to cut & split the logs, and it's mainly (if not only) scotch pine, so wouldn't burn as well or as hot as hardwoods, especially since it wouldn't be seasoned.

Otherwise, I've frequently seen adverts in the Dealer and Donedeal.ie for precut & seasoned hardwoods...of course it'll work out more expensive, but could be better value this late in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭DessieMG

just burn tyres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

DessieMG wrote: »
    just burn tyres

This isn't AH's ya know..... Not only are ya trolling, if you say your not, you are advising an Illegal activity, take your pick really.

This isn't AH's ya know..... Not only are ya trolling, if you say your not, you are advising an Illegal activity, take your pick really.

killjoy :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

killjoy :P
    muffjoy :)

See ya in 2 weeks. In the meantime feel free to rack up bans and warnings elsewhere for trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

Ayla wrote: »
    OP - Forget whoever's critising the amount you'd like for the winter...as you mentioned, no one here has any idea if you're depending on the fire to heat your house & water, or if you're only using it in a sitting room for ambience.

If you have Coilte land anywhere nearby, contact the local rep for your area (we found ours on the Coilte website). Ask them if you can buy logs from them. We've found that we can buy an entire lorry load (one of the *big* lorries) for €900. If you have other families who're willing to split the load with you it'd work out quite cheaply. They were also willing to sell 1/3 loads for €300.

Of course, it'd be up to you to cut & split the logs, and it's mainly (if not only) scotch pine, so wouldn't burn as well or as hot as hardwoods, especially since it wouldn't be seasoned.

Otherwise, I've frequently seen adverts in the Dealer and Donedeal.ie for precut & seasoned hardwoods...of course it'll work out more expensive, but could be better value this late in the year.

burning unseasoned timber is akin to trying to burn water...but you could plan ahead and buy from Coilte and store your timber for a year before burning.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dontom

Hi there,

have a look here:

http://www.donegalwoodlandowners.com/Firewood.htm

Good quality !!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Right, I've 2 numbers for ye.

First guy is called Mickey, no idea what his second name is but we buy logs off him every week and they're always decent for burning. <SNIP>

Second fella is <SNIP>. We don't use this guy as much but he dropped off a delivery yesterday. I would assume he is slightly cheaper because I can't imagine why else we wouldn't just stick with the normal guy(Mickey). <SNIP>

Both are Buncrana based.

Mod edit: irish goat, perhaps you could PM the details to the OP or if anyone else wants them they can contact you by PM. The forum charter doesn't allow contact details to be posted and its safer in any event. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Ayla wrote: »

Absolutly. Down in Sligo in the winter we might only use a few blocks a night, along with briggetes, a few nights a week.

When I go home to Donegal, we might use several blocks a day in the range, every day.

Unfortunatly OP, cant be anymore help than that, we got our bags in Sligo from some fella who was calling door to door. In Donegal, we cut and split our own.

The only good thing ever to come out of Manor' was the road out of it!! theres an aul huur there, shes 38 and shes a granny! they eat their young there im tellin ye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

The only good thing ever to come out of Manor' was the road out of it!! theres an aul huur there, shes 38 and shes a granny! they eat their young there im tellin ye

I'm sure everyone will agree, we'd rather not see you post in the Donegal forum again, bye bye.

Advertisement