Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Menu bar missing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Seems to disappear when I log in, but no bother if I'm not logged in. :confused: Tried on both IE and Firefox!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Gone again for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Mine went also but is back again now though.

Ditto.

Mine still gone! :mad:

• Advertisement

And mine's gone again. :/

Edit: And back again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

It vanished and came back several times tonight for me too.

Mine is still gone! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Gone at the minute for myself,
    only happened in the last 15 minutes or so though.

I wonder if there's something on tv, or I might just read a book, much less hassle. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Mines been gone for the better part of a week! :eek:
    but only when I'm logged on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Mine has gone on the fritz in the black skin the last couple of days, switched to beta.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Mines been gone for the better part of a week! :eek:
    but only when I'm logged on!

Same.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Gone again, thank God for bookmarks for ease of access in the interim :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Bet it was Dav again.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I reckon they're phasing out the noobs still using the old skins :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Boo erns, nobody likes change. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Nothing to do with me this time and the tech team tell me they don't currently see anything specific being amiss. There was a glitch in the menu generator a couple of days ago, but a refresh should fix it.

However, as we've pointed out before, we will get to a stage where we will simply be switching off all skins and sticking with just one (using the Beta skin as its template). I'm trying to push for a black/dark skin (like Cloud or Star Wars which I use) with the same layout with a mixed reception here in the office, but the overheads for maintaining other skins is simply too much. Numbers wise, I think it's less than 3% of our members who use anything other than the default skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

I've never used the menu bar:confused:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Dav wrote: »
    Nothing to do with me this time and the tech team tell me they don't currently see anything specific being amiss. There was a glitch in the menu generator a couple of days ago, but a refresh should fix it.

However, as we've pointed out before, we will get to a stage where we will simply be switching off all skins and sticking with just one (using the Beta skin as its template). I'm trying to push for a black/dark skin (like Cloud or Star Wars which I use) with the same layout with a mixed reception here in the office, but the overheads for maintaining other skins is simply too much. Numbers wise, I think it's less than 3% of our members who use anything other than the default skin.

Can ye not turn off all other ones except the current default one then, as 97% of users already use that one? I've never been able to get used to beta any of the times I tried it, much prefer the old menu system.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,973 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Why can't Beta be the template and allow the user to customise the colors, generated by their browser?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

5starpool wrote: »
    Can ye not turn off all other ones except the current default one then, as 97% of users already use that one? I've never been able to get used to beta any of the times I tried it, much prefer the old menu system.
    Ultimately, that's what will happen, but for the moment, we're not making (or planning on making) any sorts of changes that warrant that just yet. We'll be giving people notice when it happens though, but it's most likely going to be as a part of a much, much bigger site re-design which is a long way off yet. It won't exactly be the Beta as it is right now either, it'll probably feature elements of it's functionallity though. But it's way too far off in our development future to be giving it any serious thought just yet.

There now follows my personal thoughts on the Beta Menu: :)
    Beta is a much cleaner, clearer and functionally better menu. The "Find a Forum" part of it is a god-sent and the notifications in the right corner of it are extremely useful - I was able to turn off the rather annoying PM notification popup because of it. It presents the list of forums in a Category in a much easier to read manner I think.
    Overheal wrote: »
    Why can't Beta be the template and allow the user to customise the colors, generated by their browser?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean? Would that not require some manner of browser plug in? The tech team definitely don't have time to code up something to do this and simply put, for less than 3% of people, it'd be a pretty poor use of their time even if they did - we've got literally hundreds of man-hours of tech work that we could have them working on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

just make the beta theme the default theme and then it'll be used by the majority of users, all other themes are guff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,973 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm not entirely sure what you mean? Would that not require some manner of browser plug in? The tech team definitely don't have time to code up something to do this and simply put, for less than 3% of people, it'd be a pretty poor use of their time even if they did - we've got literally hundreds of man-hours of tech work that we could have them working on. :)
    No like, say you're in Beta. The menu bar is blue. Go to options>Colors>Menu Bar: 0x4826E or whatever the feck those 8-bit codes are. I'm not looking it up :P

I may not be explaining this well but I just realised the time I have to go save the world

Gone again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Overheal wrote: »
    No like, say you're in Beta. The menu bar is blue. Go to options>Colors>Menu Bar: 0x4826E or whatever the feck those 8-bit codes are. I'm not looking it up :P

We won't be generating user-specific CSS.

If having a different colour is really that important, then may I suggest Greasemonkey?
    Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Gone again.

It was still there for me (even after a hard refresh), but I forced a regeneration to make sure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I love the beta skin, very good functionality but..
    I'm trying to push for a black/dark skin (like Cloud or Star Wars which I use) with the same layout with a mixed reception here in the office, but the overheads for maintaining other skins is simply too much.
    if the only choice was a dark skin, white writing on black I'd leave and not come back*. Seriously, Major headache time for me on forums that use it. I doubt I'm the only one on that score. This may be the mixed reception you speak off. That said and headache inducing for me having a dark skin as an option should be kept if at all possible though. I know dyslexic folks often find it better and easier on them. Maybe I got antidyslexia :D

*feck off :pac:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I would really hate to see a dark skin. It;s very harsh on the eyes, the light blue default is ideal.

Also, most importantly, the default blue colour is also the exact same shade as the interface that I use at work so it even looks like I'm working when I'm procrastinating.
    Were this to change the results would be catostrophic, my productivity levels would be through the roof but I'm not getting paid nearly enough for such stellar performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Seems to go every day around this time (between 1.30-2am)...boards is trying to encourage me to go to bed...well it won't work *shakes fist in defiance*

EDIT: and it's back 10 mins later.

Just wondering am I the only one this keeps happening to regularly?

Haven't had a menu bar for a couple of hours now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Just wondering am I the only one this keeps happening to regularly?

Haven't had a menu bar for a couple of hours now.

Nope, it happens for me a couple of times a week. It's gone right now as it happens, on Nightly.

Cloud skin, and clutching onto it with both hands. Gimme a dark beta and I'm sold, cause aside from the brightness, the functionality is spot on.

Advertisement