Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Menu bar missing

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,924 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If anything, the lack of a menu bar has forced me to find more interesting ways of navigating the site.

I was clicking on my profile, going to my post history, then clicking a post, going into a thread and opening the parent forum from the tree above.

Wasn't until earlier today that I noticed the 'forums' button on the main page.

Mad how something can stare you in the face for 10 years and never really notice it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,248 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

was there a new forum added that broke it or something

not warming to the new beta

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Is this going to be fixed?

They're all on their holiers. Back on the 2nd. I think we can put up with it til then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

ffs, most of us were back to work yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

kyub wrote: »
    It's like the Windows 8 of themes. To be honest, I think it's ugly. There are massive spacing and sizing issues all over the place.

Also, the buttons are too large and everything about the interface is now overpowering the post itself. The posts are the most important thing on the page. I think the comparison to Fisher Price is a good one. Or another one for me would be comparing the Boards Old Beta theme to Lego and this one to Duplo. I'm all for improving boards, but this is just a step in the wrong direction in my opinion.

I have attached a pic of your own post Dav as an example of what I mean.

Cozy mode is your friend bro...
    Appearance settings > Cozy Mode. Will sort out a lot of that ugly padding highlighted in the attachment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Cozy mode is your friend bro...
    Appearance settings > Cozy Mode. Will sort out a lot of that ugly padding highlighted in the attachment.

Yep, if you use cozy mode, get rid of the sticky header and squint a bit, it's almost like the good ol' days.

ffs, most of us were back to work yesterday.

Apt username is apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Inquitus wrote: »
    Is this going to be fixed?
    I think we can survive a week or so without it.
    It's not a major bug, there is an easy work around.
    Let them enjoy their break.

Saying that, I still can't wait until its fixed too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Purely because I'm having to traverse via the index page, I discovered the wonderful Aardvark forum. So its all good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

o1s1n wrote: »
    If anything, the lack of a menu bar has forced me to find more interesting ways of navigating the site.

I was clicking on my profile, going to my post history, then clicking a post, going into a thread and opening the parent forum from the tree above.

Wasn't until earlier today that I noticed the 'forums' button on the main page.

Mad how something can stare you in the face for 10 years and never really notice it.
    Fair play O or is that o :) Adaptation to new stuff is good. Even if it feels odd at the time. Ruts are baaad. Mental comfort is baaad. Mental discomfort - and let's face it we're not even close to talking major life issues here - makes you learn and think.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Ella

So if the majority doesn't like it, does that not mean something to the owners? Majority rules and all that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Ella wrote: »
    So if the majority doesn't like it, does that not mean something to the owners? Majority rules and all that?

Figures were posted in the original feedback thread that the new beta was by far the most used skin on the site, i.e. the majority of people use it without any issues whatsoever.

(If the figures have changed then I'm willing to be corrected.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Figures were posted in the original feedback thread that the new beta was by far the most used skin on the site, i.e. the majority of people use it without any issues whatsoever.

(If the figures have changed then I'm willing to be corrected.)

But how many people ever used the old beta? Especially given that there was never any big announcement about like there was the new beta. I'd wager that if in the announcement people were told "here's two beta designs, try them out, give us your feedback and tell us which you prefer", then a lot more people would choose the old beta over the new beta. Also the new beta is pretty much foisted on people due to it being the default skin and also the skin when using search or logged out.

Adyx wrote: »
    But how many people ever used the old beta? Especially given that there was never any big announcement about like there was the new beta. I'd wager that if in the announcement people were told "here's two beta designs, try them out, give us your feedback and tell us which you prefer", then a lot more people would choose the old beta over the new beta. Also the new beta is pretty much foisted on people due to it being the default skin and also the skin when using search or logged out.

The thing about the old beta skin is that it still relies on the VBulletin UI. So if or when the lads decide to get rid of VB, it will go too.

Karsini wrote: »
    The thing about the old beta skin is that it still relies on the VBulletin UI. So if or when the lads decide to get rid of VB, it will go too.
    Nothing stopping them using it's layout and design as the basis for the new beta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

Ronan has an update on this issue over here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82467573

too lazy to click the link, it should be all resolved now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Finally back to the old beta and my headache is gone and my eyes have stopped watering :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

All working here now thanks :)

I was only days away from trying New Beta again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

It's back but it's different. I think I like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

It's not back on the old skins

Or is that just me?

Edit: like 3 seconds after I posted that it reappeared. Impressive.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Was working earlier on all skins I tried but it seems to be gone again now on 'Touch' skin & 'White'
    Finding new drop down menus on 'Old Beta' unusable on my phone. If I zoom in at all I can't see the menus on the right hand side. The more I zoom the less I can see. Also, if I hit one of the menus & want to close the pop-up that appears I have to reload Boards. I can't see how to close the forum list that appears, pressing back & reloading page brings the pop-up back. I feel like I'm missing something simple..

Is it just me that sees it different, I've tweaked a few settings over the last few days.
    What I'm getting is a narrow blue floating menu bar with a second white bar with a "find forum" box, a control panel link, and a link to the current page, (I can do screen shots if someone reminds me how).
    The "find a forum" box is a joke, you need to type in the exact name of the forum. It could be handy for newbies if you could enter a topic and it would sugest appropriate forums, eg type in sheep and you would be brought to a farming forum.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Menus back again now =']

2 stroke wrote: »
    Is it just me that sees it different, I've tweaked a few settings over the last few days.
    What I'm getting is a narrow blue floating menu bar with a second white bar with a "find forum" box, a control panel link, and a link to the current page, (I can do screen shots if someone reminds me how).
    The "find a forum" box is a joke, you need to type in the exact name of the forum. It could be handy for newbies if you could enter a topic and it would sugest appropriate forums, eg type in sheep and you would be brought to a farming forum.
    That's the way it's always appeared (to me anyway), were you always using the old Beta or were you using the one of the old ordinary skins? The find a forum thing is just a quick way to get to other forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,924 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Menus back again now =']

Thank fook!

Adyx you hit the nail on the head, it was the old white skin I was using. Very easy on the eye, gone back to it, like catching up with an old friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I'll never take a menu bar for granted ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

There is a menu bar now but it doesnt show me all subforums under a particular forum if there are more than 5 columns of subforums. I view the internet at a zoom of 125%. There is no indication that Im missing anything, no scroll bar etc, I just happened to notice because The Ladies Lounge is a forum I visit and I couldnt find it through the menu bar.

I am using google chrome, a zoom of 125% and the Boards.ie Beta skin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Thanks for putting the top bit back.

Advertisement