Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewiring and installing heating system in semi

• 12-08-2011 12:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,473 ✭✭✭✭

We are thinking of making an offer on a semi thats been lived in by an old person, and hasnt been updated in about 40 years it looks like, but appears sound structurally.

It will need rewiring and and a heating system installed (currently it has Super Sers and plug in electric heaters - not even a back boiler system).

We would like a onsuite in the master bedroom too. Its a standard 3 bed semi, about 100 sq m in Dublin (the area really suits work and family which is why we want to go for it) with extended kitchen and two main living/sitting rooms downstairs and wc off the kitchen extension that is a bit odd but functional!

I'm thinking ball park 7-8 k for gas heating system installed including rads and thermostats etc (it will be starting from scratch) and around 5k for the rewiring.
    Maybe optimistically 2-3 k for the onsuite too. So all in around 15k

Does that seem reasonable to guesstimate or is it not conservative enough?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Marcanthony

In the current climate.If you project manage and employ direct labour yourself. You should come in on budget.

If your in Dublin or Cork. I know a company who will assess your property and detail the best system and materials to use to suit your budget for the works you need carried out.
    For example from my experience people get a couple of quotes . But quotes are based on different materials and a difference in the service they are providing.At least if you have a detailed scope of work and materials and have a guide for your budget. All quotes you recieve then are for the exact same service and you know what to expect to pay and know the real savings difference between quotes.

If you require. They will also inspect the work during and after completion to make sure all works are completed to a satisfactory level. Great service if your building a house or getting mechanical work done yourself and have no experience in that field of expertise. As many an unfortunate person will tell you. Bad plumbers can cost you a fortune .So could be money well spent for piece of mind. If you want their number PM me.

Advertisement