Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying low spec and upgrading

Options
  • 12-08-2011 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I've been looking through servers on dell and from what i can see i'm well better off just buying most of the components from other places. Especially additional power supplies, network cards, ram and hard drives (i'm sure i might be able to get the cpu elsewhere as well if i was brave enough to try buy the server with none)

Does anyone do this? I'm afraid with some of the components that one, it won't be covered by warrenty so if something breaks it's not going to be over night ship out of a new component and two, that i'll screw up with something expensive and buy a wrong part (especially for the ram) or miss something subtle and end up getting piss poor components.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

If DELL is expensive,why don't you go for another brand !? Ther are so many others suppliers that are happy to quote you with a brand name hardware server platforms... Do not go for a "white box" .

Also,do not mix & match server'components.You will be surprised to discover that most of time won't work for you and violate the original shipped product.If DELL sends you a server,with 3 years warranty and you supply your own CPU...and...something goes wrong with the box,then you can say 'bye bye' as DELL can point the finger up to your CPU !!

If you can't afford good quality,verified and under warranty server and/or server components FOR a production server...start writing your resume !! :)

Regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I won't install a server without the manufacturers care pack attached for at least 3 years. What little money you'll make is not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

This has nothing to do with my job and i won't be making money off this. This is for a college network society.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

What do you plan serving exactly and to how many people.

Advertisement